Brawl

SquallSnake7

Editor in Chief
Jun 23, 2005
IL
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Next week = Smash Bros. week. My only question is: who wants to get owned online WiFi? Get your friend codes ready.

Thoughts on this big release?

I think Melee's play control was tighter. The online mode has been nothing but lag for me...that is, if i can even get into a game.

I definitely think that Brawl is better than Melee. Melee's controls aren't really tighter...it's just that Brawl feels more floaty, which you get used to.

Online trying to fight with random shmoes has only resulted in me getting booted. Fighting against friends has been better, if they're fairly local. I have a pal in Cali who I play and it is fairly laggy. I have a pal in NY and it runs quite smoothly (I live in Rhode Island, btw).

I heard that it's not much of an improvement over Melee, but I haven't gotten to play it yet.
What do you guys think of the differences? (other than the controls)

The only problem I have is that there are some very annoying items. The Dragoon, clock, curry and lightning are all frustrating. That and assist trophies, while a neat idea and fun, always seem to last a bit too long (Andross, Samurai Goroh, Saki Amamiya, Resetti) or a bit too short (Excite Bikes, Dr. Wright), or are just plain too strong (Little Mac, Knuckle Joe, Kat and Ana). Great job by Nintendo, too, with how they seemed to practically intentionally hit every game that didn't come to America, while avoiding any mention of Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Donkey Kong Country and Blast Corps. All that hate aside, it really is better than Melee in practically every way.

I think the game is definitely better than what I expected! the overall play mechanics are yes floaty but still i have fun playing it. it needs to be pointed out that no fighting game is ever perfectly balanced but it's still enjoyable. I think I'll wait a bit more on the WiFi aspect to be better handled since the 1st week of play has been lag heavy. (hopefully later it will get better)

so much they cramed into this game...I personally want to unlock all the music. I know I still have just over 100 tracks to get...ugh.

I finally got to play Brawl today. Great game, but I do prefer the GC controls to the Wiimote...

The adventure mode is extremely long now, and I'm glad they introduced coop as well.

I just have one question though: What the hell were they smoking when they thought Olimar would be a good character?

By the way, who are your favorite characters? I found Ike to be the epitome of greatness, haha.
Plus he's a lot like Roy, who was my favorite in Melee.

Pitt's also fun to play with.

So now that everyone has been playing this game for sometime, what are your opinions.

I for one, hate the online mode. Why can i only play a 2 minute Brawl? Why cant i play a stock match? Oh wait, this isnt even a problem because I can never join a game. I just wait in the stupid lobby for 20 minutes before I give up. Sucks.