Best gaming mag

Meggo the Eggo

Registered
Apr 4, 2006
northeast Ohio
www.yourfamilygames.com
Just wondering... in your humble opinion, what is the best gaming magazine that you've read? I've been especially interested in this since rumors of Nintendo Power folding have surfaced and been clarified/. When I was 13 or so, and had a subscription to NP, I thought I'd like to write for them... and then I realized how gypped I was because 95% of the time they gave games a much higher score than they deserved... they only had one reviewer who told it like it was (Alan Averill... he also had bonus points b/c his headshot was a plush blue Slime from Dragon Warrior) and he left. So NP is even less trustworthy. :/ Twas a first-party mag though, what can you expect?

Anyway, I like Edge, a gaming magazine in the UK. It's got a completely different tone from IGN, EGM, GamePro, Nintendo Power, etc--a tone that isn't "rabid fanboyzz!!1eleventy0ne!". They look at the game industry in a really cool way, and have some really neat feature articles, ones that not only look forward on technology, but look back an analyze some games that may have come out a few years ago (they had a really cool feature article on Super Mario Sunshine)... now if only I could afford the $80/year subscription fee x_X But, yeah, if you ever see it in your local bookstore, give it a go. It's good stuff.

Btw, since I was talking about Nintendo Power (God bless its little Nintendo-propaganda soul), here's the first issue, in PDF format.

Due my obsession with dropping money on used games I figured why not when I was offered a subscription to egm and game informer at EB and Gamestop respectively. I enjoy both although Game informer does seem to have better previews, such as Last Remnant *which looks pretty effin sweet* and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Egm is pretty good as well, although the mag I enjoyed the most was one called GMR, it was strictly business and oriented more towards the hardcore gamer, unlike EGM. I've read one called Play, I think that's what it's called, it seemed pretty good much more technical, but it's from the U.K. so not much help here, the only mag who I hate is Maxim, the the f**k they gave Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness a 5 out of 5 beats me.

GMR was great because they took the only good writer from EGM:

James Mielke.

That alone made it great. But it was, briefly, the non-awful gaming magazing.

I do still enjoy a good gaming mag over sites such as 1up or gamespy, the exception being mygamer of course! the forums on those sites are run by a bunch of no nothing else virgins, one has difficulty voicing his or her opinions there, thats why I frequent this place more often. It's like five thousand spuds all in one site, it's pretty funny talking trash to them though, and dividing them over a final fantasy discussion is still a great hobby of mine.

kurruption said:
the only mag who I hate is Maxim, the the f**k they gave Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness a 5 out of 5 beats me.

hmm... two phrases...

Lara Croft
and
boobies.

@kurruption:

I enjoy MG for the same reasons. Forums on big gaming mag sites are just too big, and no one listens to anyone else (unless they get into a "debate" where they call each other n00bs back and forth).
I used to do the same thing you do with the FF discussions, except I did it with the AOL gaming chatrooms when my family had AOL 5.0 (or one of the earlier versions) and it was usually the console war discussion. It's surprising how many people in a chatroom suddenly look up to you after you boss a few other people around... XD But, alas, those days are gone, and I won't go anywhere near AOL chats.

Holy Moses! It's Yoggs!

Howdy. I've got to go with PC Gamer on this one. The overall design of the magazine makes it really easy to find the articles you want to read, the scores for the games are fair, and I dig the humor they put in every issue.

I started with NP, then GI, then GMR, and GMR used to be my favorite until just a couple months ago, I started getting GI again. I dont know, I just think GI is solid...for now...

EGMs been it for me, but I maybe partial based on the fact I signed up for a one year subscription about 4 years ago and continue to receive it without paying. The only reason I really read GI is because we have 13 million copies at work.