The definitive version of the classic real-time strategy game. Combining the original Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness and the expansion, Beyond the Dark Portal, with free Internet play over Battle.net, will allow players to compete against opponents from around the world. Warcraft II Battle.net Edition is the continuation of the ruthless clash between the Orc and Human civilizations. As the commander of either the Orc or Human forces, players must successfully construct and rule their medieval empire while engaging in real-time tactical warfare over land, sea and air.
* Support for Win95/98/NT and Macintosh
* Multi-player support for as many as 8 players via Battle.net, modem, network and direct link
* Unique User IDs and a worldwide ranking system for challenge ladders on Battle.net.
* Blizzard’s spawning technology that allows up to eight players to compete over Battle.net by installing multiple copies from the original CD-ROM.
* Over 100 Blizzard signed and approved maps, newly built or redesigned and balanced for multi-player games.
* Automatic map passing over Battle.net
* Implementation of Top vs. Bottom multi-player template
* Shared Vision in multi-player games
* Ability to /Whisper in and out of games
* Improved game set-up, game options, dropping of players and inclusion of Battle.net chat
* Setting of game speed before the game starts that cannot be switched back and forth during game play.
* Incorporation of the 3 Pauses per player / per game rule
* Assigning and selection of Groups through # keys
* Option of choosing Random as your starting race
* Ability to set Latency Tolerance within games
* Attack Move command will now function correctly
* Patrol command now sends units to the selected location rather than stopping after any contact
* Set maps and game parameters for Ladder Games
* Scroll Speed fixed on faster computers
* Town Hall / Great Hall is required as the first Building in your Technology tree
* Ctrl+click or double-click will select closest 9 units of that type currently on the screen
* Space bar centers the map on last 8 transmissions (sequential)
* Current food displayed along with gold/oil/lumber
* Maintained compatibility with the DOS version of Warcraft II via local area network or modem
* Unit limit raised from 600 to 1200 for Enhanced games
* Added upper limit of 200 food for each player, like Starcraft
* Mining out an oil rig completely no longer returns a small amount of lumber and gold tothe player.
* Flying Machines, Goblin Zeppelins, Goblin Sappers, Dwarven Demolition Teams now have a Patrol option.
* Canceling foundries no longer steals all of the oil you spent to build it.
* Allies can see friendly invisible units now.
* Allies’ towers and flying units will now reveal enemy subs.
* Partially-built towers can no longer see submarines.
* Death Coil will no longer damage allies.
* New Sounds have been added for Skeletons, Runes, Eye of Killrogg, and for completed upgrades.
* Death and Decay and Death Coil now have the proper icons
* First Town and Great Halls now build at the speed of a Farm. All later Town Halls build at the normal longer speed.