Wouldn't it be cool if . . .

Darth_Jonas

Future Emperor
Registered
Nov 16, 2005
right behind you
Wouldn't it be cool if Bungi came out with a Halo RPG or MMO? This thought was kicked around on another thread, but why not expound on it?

Let's dream about the game here. It probably would never happen, but what if?

You could choose which sides you would be on. After Halo 2, you have at least three sides: Human, Elites, Brutes. There may be others introduced by the books, but I don't know. You could be any type of character. You would also be able to pass from server to server (of course with xbl, the possibilities are higher than with pc). The various servers would be different worlds, rings and battlestations. Each would be dominated by the different races.

The Flood would periodically invade and have to be put down. Some form of currency would need to exist. Possibly a badge system? Could you level up? Or would it be more like Battlefield 2, where you unlock weapons and outrank others?

Skirmishes could be set as quests where money or points could be earned. Vehicles could be called in for drops based off of rank or money or simply be apart of the landscape.

What do you think?

I think it'd just have to boil down to a power struggle between the humans, brutes and elites over the halos. But I don't think money or levels would be necessary.

How would it play? Would it be like Republic Commando? (showing off the customization) Or would it stay first person? Could you form units (aka clans)?

Jones, its a good idea in thought but if you think about it logically I don't think an MMO aspect would happen. I am a big fan of MMO's, started off with Everquest Online Adventures for the PS2 then moved to Final Fantasy XI then to Guild Wars etc... So I definatly love my share of the genre. One of the main reasons I like them so much is your option of choice. You choose what you want to be. With a Halo MMO, how many people are going to want to be normal marines or humans you know. Everyone is going to want to be a Spartan, and then your minority of people wanting to be Elites. If Halo had more character types of equal popularity as Spartans(AKA Master Chief's) then I could see it working a little better.

Now there is an alternative if so many people are going to pick to be a spartan. Make a lot of classes (i.e. Sniper, Gunner, Scout, Medic, maybe even Pilot??) I could see this possibility working since so many people would most likely pick the Spartan as a race but have many options for class so the game could still offer a good mix.

Plot wise Covenant vs. Humans added with Flood. Just like the Halo storyline we know. I would think if this game was created Player vs Player would have to be a main aspect since people would pick either covenant race or human race to be an we can't have them all mingling together in some "town" can we?? I mean I doubt in the actual Halo universe youll find a Elite conversing with a Spartan about the treasure they found on a early quest. So again I think PvP would have to play a major role.

Ya so theres my 2 cents...

I would like to see the Halo franchise expand though, maybe in this direction, maybe not

I see your points. Various classes of Spartan might be very cool. After all, there should only be one Master Chief. He's the all-round butt-whoop champion. One of the things, though could be to build up certain strengths as you level up your Spartan. Similiar to how the Jedi/Sith gain powers in Knights of the Old Republic. Granted, everyone will have similar abilities, but you could specialize.

What if some could cloak? Some could have a built in laser sword. Others could have many different weapons or abilities not in the games. Medic would be cool. Extra shields. Higher jumping (almost flying). Being able to setup a teleportation gate (difficult logistically, but possible). I guess you wouldn't need to have the regular Marines. They could be in the game, at bases and what not. You could even have a level you can reach rank-wise that would allow you to call in the marines to hold a position. Sure you wouldn't want to be one, but Halo 2 has plenty of areas where having a marine running around with a sniper rifle or driving a warthog for you is nice.

The aliens could be much more diverse. I see the brutes acting much like the wookies in KOTOR. Major strength, rage abilities, etc. The bird-like ones could gain an ability to stick to a ceiling. Elites could possibly be the ones most like the Spartans. Let them call in the grunts to hold positions for you.

There could possibly be neutral zones too. Heck, Master Chief and the Arbiter worked together. Not sure how that would work, but if you had a common enemy, a truce could be formed. Again, there are places in KOTOR 2 that you cannot fight without the city attacking you. Why you would want to do this, I don't know. My knowledge of the range of options in MMO's is limited.

And don't forget, that at the end of Halo 2, there were at least 3 factions: Humans led by Spartans, Grunts and Hunters led by Elites, and the Bird-things and Dragonfly things led by Brutes. Not sure where the Prophets would fall, and there are probably many more races. After all, the aliens had some sort of Alliance going on between planets conquered.