Wireless speaker review is up...

with it cranked up, how long do the batteries last? That has always been a problem with wireless speakers for me. (I'm a sound guy and am always looking for new stuff).

I've played the equivelent of at least 15 CDs thorugh it so far (give or take- it's hard to judge when you use large, mixed playlists via Winamp), at fairly high volume, and they're still going strong. It uses AA batteries, and I have several rechargable sets for my digicam, kids' toys, etc. so I seldom worry about it. It has an AC cord as well, if you plan to use it in the same place often- I'll use mine in my dining room where I have a painting table set up, for instance.

It's the Bluetooth... the range and power consumption for that standard is just so much better than old FM... When they get around to putting Bluetooth in everything in the next few years, it's gonna be freaky... PDAs that link to stores' BLuetooth inventory servers, MP3 players that link to music servers, etc.

i would have gone with wireless rear speakers....but i went with the ceiling speakers instead....they really rock and if the wife is asleep at night, i can disable all the rest except those and i still get superior sound.....Speakers do make a difference....But your absolute power is gonna come from what receiver you have and what type of speaker you have.....In my opinion, the "wireless technology" will not be as effective as much until they delve deep into better research on the subject.....(I'm a home theater and tech guy....paper, rock, scissors, Jonas....I beat you....haha)

I know, M-diddy. You stay with your HOME tech. You know the power of the systems I run. I'm dealing on a much grander scale. Wireless speakers for productions have been lacking much. They are getting better, though. Only a few years ago wireless mics sucked unless you forked out a hefty helping of Benjamin sandwiches. Now they are much better. For home systems, I still would go with wired. With a little attention to detail and some skill, you can make the wires invisible or close to it.

Yeah, that's what i did with my rear speakers....that and i was too lazy to run a wallfish......I believe in the wireless technology.....but just like any new erupting technology, the people working on it are not willing to take the time to "TWEAK" the damn things....I especially like the Bluetooth technology...It is reliable, but the developers really need to try to go back to the overall basics to perfect it.....You know me with my tech toys, just like other tech guys like yourself......"YOU" actually have tweak the hell of a component to get its max potential....That's the one point i make to everyone......DON'T THINK THAT ONCE YOU PULL IT OUT OF THE BOX, THAT'S THE GREATEST IT CAN BE!!....Even if people aren't interested in different procedures in tweaking, at least they need to take the time to tinker with it.....Best Example....In my cable days....Guy goes into an Electronics Store, notices the "great picture", takes it home and then calls back to the store stating it doesn't look like it did at the store.....'Cause, mr. smart guy, they were running a high-def signal to each tv.......i dealt with that alot a while ago when i was a tech....People and their new toys, sheesh.......They pay just as much to have a guy come out to tweak, as they did when they bought the D*mn thing

Last edited:
All I did to "tweak" my Saitek speakers was make a custom EQ preset that was a little more bass-heavy than what I use for my default. They're not pro-quality, but for $129 I don't expect them to be. Hell, for that price, I was genuinely tickled that they interfaced with every single media player I tested them with, right out of the box with no more effort than to plug in the Bluetooth dongle (and changingone setting in Winamp- all the others worked just fine with no changes). they really are well designed for what they're built to do- add convenience for those of us with an increasingly PC-centric music collection.

Now, if I can just figure out why the %$#@! my 6.1 speakers won't work properly in Surround mode, I'd be a happy camper. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

I can't get the center channel to work, nor the rears, even with surround enabled, and sometimes when I fire up a surround game like, say, HL2, the left/right gets all wonky. I have a configuration application that came with my sound device (on-board 6.1) but it's not working right, even with a driver upgrade and re-install. Testing each speaker individually, hpwever, works, so I don't think it's a hardware issue with the speakers or the wires- I gotta think that it's the audio device on the mobo. Don't have a secind PC that has surround enabled, though, to test that theory. It's very frustrating and so I just usually run in stereo with speakers and save Surround for when I use one of my several pairs of 6.1 headsets. The fact that it's not working bugs me though.

Have you contacted the manufacturer's help desk? It sounds like you've narrowed down the problem fairly well by checking all of the pieces to make sure they're intact. Most people never explore that option before they call for help.

hey ImagoX, i wasn't talking about your speakers in a negative sense....I was just speaking of other people in general......For the price and the type of technology, i'd say you have a great product....Now, back to your troubles with the 6.1 speakers......I know you've tested them separately and they work.....If you have a dvd with the THX optimizer symbol on the back of the box, try running the audio tests.....The optimizer is on The Incredibles, Xmen 1, Spiderman, and more than a few other dvds........If you're running through a receiver, which i presume you are, try switching to a different speaker output for the ones that are giving you difficulty....Hope that helps....

No, I'm running the speakers via a 6.1 sound card (integrated on the mobo of my PC). I don't have the required jacks on my stereo amp to test it (I use all bare, copper wires for my amp, nit the small plugs like the 6.1 speakers use). So, it's tough to test them in full 6.1 mode since I don't have another 6.1 enabled PC set up.

Running my sound card's optimization routing is sort of useful but its limited- running the THX setup on a DVD is a better idea- thanks I'll try that!

And i usually don't post other sites on here....But if you ever have questions or just wonder about sound and video, just go to www.avsforum.com. There is alot of people that work on this stuff or have been tinkering with this kind of stuff for years.....And you're welcome!