windwaker for the DS

Grantastic75

Registered
Jan 18, 2006
its true there finally making a Zelda for the Ds, and what really steps in up from the rest of the other DS games is that this one looks like the Wind Waker from the nintendo GameCube. the title "Zelda: the phantom hour glass" looks like a must buyer for the DS fans

Yep, I'll be getting it. Zelda is one of those requisite vg series, along with a new Metroid or Mario game that's not a spinoff starring mario and characters from that universe. It is like a moral obligation for any serious gamer--you must play new releases from these series. :p

Ditto.

I remember the happiest day of my videogame life...

I was freelancing game reviews for a local paper, and they gave me a copy of Wind Waker a few days before its American release to play and review. Oh happy, happy days. *nostalgia*

This DS Zelda looks really great. makes cool use of the stylus too, like, drawing a path for your boomerang to take. Prob havta blow into the mic to power your ship too.

SquallSnake7 said:
Prob havta blow into the mic to power your ship too.

Now that would be just too cool... I hadn't thought of that. That boss battle at the end with the flying squid-thing looked like lots of fun. And it seems that Navi or some sort of fairy is back (Yay :) I know a lot of people didn't like Navi, but I did). I hope Phantom Hourglass is more difficult than Minish Cap. Maybe I've just played too many Zelda games (*coughcough* all of them **coughcoughclear throat** except Zelda 2), but Minish cap was a walk in the park for me. 100% clear in less than a week easily. Don't get me wrong, I still thought it was a great game.

Something that may get on my nerves from Hourglass: Link's high-pitched battle yelps.

The Minish Cap may have been a little bit shorter than other Zelda titles, but it was still a great game. The new weapons and items were all great additions to the Zelda series. I am hoping this new DS Zelda will be the same way.

Me too... wait does anyone have a tentative release date on this game? Gah, I wish I had been more persistent about teaching myself Japanese... then I could just import it and not have to worry about NOA being stupid and delaying the release....

I have a feeling that not only is it Windwaker style, but it uses the same engine. During an interview with Miyamoto san in an EGM that I read right after the release of Windwaker he said that Nintendo isn't done with the Windwaker engine and that it was a beautiful and powerful thing.

Now I only remembered that because he called it "beautiful" when everybody else was calling it boring and cheesy because of the "cell shading". I also thought it was beautiful and I think me an Shiggy shared a moment...

Actually, Miyamoto planned to make the next GC Zelda (which since has become TP) Wind Waker style. But really, few people in America liked Wind Waker, and prefered the more mature, less STUPID AND KIDDY Ocarina of Time. So, because nobody really liked WW except for game critics, they made something that reminded us of the Zelda games we know and love.

But Phantom Hourglass is indeed going to feel Wind Waker-esque. It's even being developed by the same team.

^mmmm. I would have to see a Quote from Miyamoto saying that. That sounds like a lot of speculation- although I am just speculating as well. I think it would take more than a few 13 year olds in the States saying Windwaker was too cartoony to get him to change his mind on a game he develops.

I think we like to tell ourselves that Twilight Princess looks like it does because we wanted it that way- but it would be out of Shiggy's style to tip his hand like that.

I have a feeling that Windwaker and the up coming DS game are running on the same engine. Just a tremor in the force.

Well, no matter what Miyamoto likes, it's undeniable that WW hurt Nintendo TERRIBLY stateside, and a strong case can be made saying WW single-handedly ruined the GCN's chances to come out on top this generation (but that's really the case). But anyway, Miyamoto is a slave to Nintendo, who is a slave to sales, which reflects a game's image. If it has a bad image, which it did, then that will hurt sales, which will hurt Nintendo who will force Miyamoto to put out something people will actually not laugh at.

And look up my journal.

I liked WW. I think you are grossly exagerrating the US distaste for WW. I don't know many people who didn't like it.

Last edited:
While mayhap the people who DID buy it liked it, the vast majority of people who DIDN'T buy it spoke louder. And that big gap in Nintendo's wallet said it all.

It's mainly the massive spikes in sales of stuff that resulted from Ocarina of Time, and even Link to the Past, that simply did not happen with Wind Waker. People wanted to play the game from the tech demos from E3 (or maybe TGS) 2001. Lots of people wanted the Cube for Zelda, and when that Zelda was far below their expectations, they just gave a great big "screw it." In addition, Wind Waker was the game that clinched the whole "kiddy image" for Nintendo, which made it simply unappealing for casual gamers. If Nintendo had actually come out with more than one high-profile first party title at that time that was well-advertised that could hold appeal to most people beyond the age 10 (other than Metroid prime), they may have been able to dispel that image. But then came bobble-head Link, and pretty much everyone was disappointed. And a couple of mildly known Resident Evils wasn't enough to do the trick and bring back gamers. This wasn't Nintendo's only problem, of course...but it was still a pretty damn stupid move by them.

... How was it "far below expectations"?

Because it looked like a cartoon? Have you played the game?

Also:

Strong Sales Surge for Nintendo

REDMOND, Wash. - April 4, 2003 - Riding the crest of three hit product launches, Nintendo of America Inc. currently claims the best selling console game, the best selling portable games, and the best selling hardware system in America.

Since coming to market within a week of each other in late March, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker for Nintendo GameCube, Pokemon Ruby Version and Pokemon Sapphire Version for Game Boy Advance, and the new flip-top, front-lit Game Boy Advance SP portable system have leaped to the top of their respective sales charts.

The new Zelda game set a Nintendo record with more than 600,000 copies pre-sold to consumers before its March 24 launch date, and retailers now are quickly burning through the entire initial North American shipment of 1.1 million games. In the same period, sales rates for Nintendo GameCube hardware have jumped 20 percent.

With more than 4.4 million copies of Pokemon already shipped in Japan, more than 2.2 million games have now moved through to North American retailers, showing conclusively Pokemon is back with an exclamation point. The companion Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire titles have dominated portable software since their launch on March 17.

Finally, 800,000 Game Boy Advance SP units have blown through to North American retail, matching equally raucous receptions in Japan and Europe.

"While no one will know the champion of this season's college basketball tournament until next week, the winner of this spring's video game tournament is Nintendo," says Peter MacDougall, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America Inc. "Game Boy Advance SP, Zelda and Pokemon represent a three point play that players and retailers dream about."

"At what is traditionally a slow time of the year for video games, Nintendo has seized the sales initiative," says Richard Simone, video game buyer, Toys "R" Us. "With their blockbuster products Game Boy Advance SP, The Legend of Zelda and Pokemon, they're a big part of why video games are one of the truly bright spots at retail."

By that Press Release it looks like the sales of Windwaker boosted GC Sales.

I am going to have to say that I respectfully disagree.

Also- If Windwaker turned Nintendo "kiddy" what did RE4 do?