Wii U hard drive space

squallsnake

Editor In Chief
Staff member
Jan 27, 2013
Chicagoland
squallsnake.com
Even though I really only play a few games on my Xbox One, my hard drive is well over 50% full. I am also concerned about hard drive space with my Wii U.

Sega just released a patch for the latest Sonic game that was over 1GB. While this is a super small patch in comparison to other next gen titles, the Wii U HD space could fill up pretty quick. Each Mario Kart 8 DLC pack is about 1GB as well. Given the system is 32gb out of the box, plus initial formatting, players are going to have to manage their hard drive space accordingly.

Yeah. That's one of the major flaws of the Wii U. At least with the Playstation 4, you can get up to 6TB of storage by using a special housing and a 3.5" HDD instead of a 2.5". I don't know what you can do about the Wii U, though. 32GB isn't nearly enough, and that wasn't even enough for the Xbox 360 for heavy gamers. I'm not sure what Nintendo was thinking on that one.

Yup, I hear you. At least the WiiU can DL stuff in standby mode so it's not such a big deal to delete stuff and re-DL it when I'm ready to.

You can expand the memory with a USB storage device - Nintendo's list of compatible ones is here - but I'it does feel like an oversight on their part to give the console such a small memory.

yeah hard drive space is a real Issue with nintendo. I used some homebrew software to add a exteral hard drive and SD card for extra storage on my Wii.

The Wii U, if you got the black deluxe version only has 32 GB of internal storage, a pitiful amount compared to today's standards. If you plan to use your Wii U a lot, you're going to need to invest into some external storage.