Why are Wiis going so cheap now?

Picaleto

Registered
Sep 21, 2015
I've been seeing Wiis selling at £30 now, while PS3s are easily going for much more. Many of the games for the Wii are effectively timeless and I sort of feel it's a sad demise for one of the greatest modern consoles to be dumped on a clearance shelf. Why isn't the Wii holding it's value against other consoles?

Wii has been old tech for far longer than the PS3 has at this point..

Wii is now last gen tech, but furthermore, the market is flooded with them. The Wii is close to the best selling console of all time, and due to the Wii Fit craze of 2008/2009, Wii's are everywhere. It's kind of like buying a Ps2 versus a Ps1.

It seems like everybody and their brother has a wii, think of how many of those are owned by casual gamers who haven't touched the thing in years. Everybody's selling them and there is no market for them. A tonne of timeless games like you say, but everyone who wants the m already has them. My friend gave me one for free a couple months back!

The reasons above. It's an old system by modern standards. The thing came out in 2006, close to a decade ago, and its tech was already rather behind the times by that point. The PS3 came out then, too, but it had much more power.

It probably helps that the PS3 is still, at least to an extent, supported by Sony. I can go on and still play stuff online with the PS3. I'm quite certain the Wii's online play no longer exists, by contrast - not that it had a hell of a lot of online support in the first place - and Nintendo has abandoned the system in general.

Wow. This thread is really interesting because as a semi-serious gamer I never really found the Wii very appealing at all. Of course I still own one, but that's not the point. ;) I only bought it for Super Smash Bros Brawl honestly. That is the one and only game I have ever owned for the system.

I think the Wii really appealed to people who were not gamers before the Wii. I have to admit that there were a few parties that I played Wii bowling at.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but there were never really any exclusively exciting games other than the Wii sports that came with the console and Super Smash Bros.

As mentioned by others, I think true gamers saw the value of the PS3/Xbox 360 and never really took the Wii seriously.

Wow. This thread is really interesting because as a semi-serious gamer I never really found the Wii very appealing at all. Of course I still own one, but that's not the point. ;) I only bought it for Super Smash Bros Brawl honestly. That is the one and only game I have ever owned for the system.

I think the Wii really appealed to people who were not gamers before the Wii. I have to admit that there were a few parties that I played Wii bowling at.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but there were never really any exclusively exciting games other than the Wii sports that came with the console and Super Smash Bros.

As mentioned by others, I think true gamers saw the value of the PS3/Xbox 360 and never really took the Wii seriously.
Dude, don't throw the 'true' gamer label around. It's so pompous. If you like video games, you're a gamer. Period.

GS actually had a pretty decent original Wii bundle where you got the system, a controller, and 5-semi decent games for like $59 or something like that. Maybe it was $69. But I thought that was a pretty good deal if you don't own a Wii.

Actually, one of the reasons why I bought the Wii was because of my wife, but this console sort of grew on me. The videogames for the console were great, especially the physical ones that involved movement or dancing. It was a fun console and I would consider it groundbreaking too. Even people with no prior videogaming experience had one with the Wii.

It was cheaper than the other consoles to begin with, so as manufacturing costs went down so too did the pricing. Not only that but the hardware was weaker compared to PS3 and the Xbox. Generally also the lack of other multimedia options makes it less appealing in the long run. Even if the PS3 and 360 are becoming obsolete, people still use them to play Blu-rays, ect.

I've been seeing Wiis selling at £30 now, while PS3s are easily going for much more. Many of the games for the Wii are effectively timeless and I sort of feel it's a sad demise for one of the greatest modern consoles to be dumped on a clearance shelf. Why isn't the Wii holding it's value against other consoles?
Hello everyone! My name is Jorge Solis. Yes! I think they are and there is a very simple reason for this! The Wii has a much more younger audience than the Play Station or the Xbox. This means that the kids who once played the Wii are now moving on to Xbox, Play Station, and PC gaming.

Wii doesn't have that great of a demand in contrast to the new gen consoles. There are much better games for newer consoles and the Wii's games aren't all that great. People are more into the popular brands and developers of video games so they navigate toward the Playstations and XBOX's.

Also, the Wii is a non-HD system. So manufacturing parts are less expensive and Nintendo never really had a universal online community with the Wii either. Nintendo focuses on making fun games, not necessarily super powerful processors. Just look at the original Gameboy. When that thing first launched, it released with low-grade specs but Nintendo still made fun games even with a pea-green non-backlit system.