Who's waiting for a price drop?

Broham

Registered
Dec 30, 2006
I was thinking about getting an HD-DVD add-on for the 360 but now Playstation 3s are just sitting on shelves. Considering that no one is buying one because of how expensive it is, do you think they will drop the price soon? I'm thinking the 60 Gig will be $500 and the 20 Gig will be the price of the 360 by February.

The question behind that question is: can Sony afford to drop their prices? There is a reason it costs $500 for the base unit and several hundred more for all the add-ons. If they could have dropped the price to match the 360, they would have.

You're forgetting, Jonas. They did drop the price in Japan, so that the PS3 costs about $400 or $500. They can very easily drop the price here. They just want more money.

I don't see how they are going to get more money. Everyone that bought it thought they could make money off Ebay and are now returning it.

The Wii is selling like hot cakes, but I don't really want a PS3 now. It doesn't have any game that I find interesting. I have a friend that goes by the name PrinceLUDA21 some of you might know him. But I'm playing his PS3 as I'm typing this and I'm not impressed. You know whats a great game I just played rayman for the wii. I played resistance fall of man and it felt like call of duty 3 for 360. I played fight night round 3 it looked a little better(not by much) and loaded a lot slower then the 360 verison. So, for right now until MGS4,DMC4,or FF13 comes out don't waste your time.

I believe they will if they are just sittin there like that maybe the prices will drop, good for customers

They won't change. They'll just wait for MGS4 to come out. If the PS3s aren't moving, THEN we might see a price drop.

I have it confirmed by my CIrcuit City friend: as of last night (1/1/2007), there are 12 PS3's just sitting at Circuit City. No one is asking about them. No one seems to care.

Wii's are sold out again, though.

Yes I can concur with Darth. My store has sen Ps3's sittin over a full weekend. On the weekend before christmas there was a total of 5 60gig systems sitting in y store and NO ONE wanted them. Unlike the Circuit City ppl do come in a ask. And when I have said would you like one the answer was NO. Right now my store has 3 left. But Wii's on the other hand. We got a shipment of 10 and they sold in 3 min. Not to mention that the DS sold like crack. Funny sory my store sold out of everythin Nintendo before christmas. Cube's, GBA, GBA-SP, DS, DS Lite, and Wii. All of which was new and used. We even sold outta PS2's. But odly no one cares for the PS3. And Spud if you think that MGS4 will be reason enough for the PS3 to sell then you could be right or wrong. We will have to see about that later this year. But what games are coming out that are reason enough to shell out 600 bucks.

I think it will be 2 years before I start getting the itch to buy one. Maybe. By then there should be some games that are exclusive to the PS3 that I would really like to play. Until that happens, I have no desire to shell out that kinda money.

The only thing that PS3 is good for is a blu- ray disc player. FF7,DMC4,and I'll even predict a god of war 3 maybe the only hard hits that sony have exclusive.

Thunder you forget the fact that the system is good for taking up space. Weight lifting, and falling down to kill babies. I like to use it for heat because it get cald in my room and that thing pums out great heat. Sony has mad the beeter system look at all the things you can do with it other than play games. GOOD JOB SONY.

Come, come. I'll be wanting the PS3 as soon as MGS4 comes out. i'm also gonna be wanting FF13, FFV13, DMC4, Tekken 6, Gran Turismo...and you can't forget that you can play ALL PAST SONY GAMES on the PS3. Something that neither of the other two are capable of.

Wll Spud for someone so GUNG-HOE on all things Sony you CAN"T play every last title from the PS/PS2 days on the system. Sony even said that there are a few hundred games that will not play on the system. So don't go giving sony credit just yet. And why are you waiting? I mean you love sony so much. Their system is better so why don't you just go out a get one? You can own the system before the games come out. I HAVE ONE, and so should YOU.

See all the games so speak of and are waiting for don't even have a offial release date and barly have a release window. In fact most of the games wont be out until the end of the year or sometime next year. So while you and other will wait it out Nintendo and MS will just keep cranking out game after game and selling system after system. Wow it dose suck to be a fanboy now dose it.

spudlyff8fan said:
Come, come. I'll be wanting the PS3 as soon as MGS4 comes out. i'm also gonna be wanting FF13, FFV13, DMC4, Tekken 6, Gran Turismo...and you can't forget that you can play ALL PAST SONY GAMES on the PS3. Something that neither of the other two are capable of.

Plus, they are thinking about putting MGS4 out on the 360. I'll give you that the DMC4,FF13 and its sequel will most likely be excellent games. No one buys a system for a fighting game(Tekken6)and Gran Turismo lost a lot of fan(including myself) on the last entry of the series.

A lot of companies are concerned with the PS3's lack of steam. Sony over-promised, over-priced, and since they've only delivered "enough," they might as well have under-delivered. Thus, PS3 projects are seeing a lot of unforeseen cross platforming or straight drops.

If it manages to keep it's steam, takes on some killer exclusives, and I can get one ungimped for $300 to $350, I'll start saving up. Until then, no dice. I'm not an early adopter interested in HD video players, so any desire spawned from being the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market is entirely lost on me.

I think many developers were waiting for the recently passed Christmas buying spree to decide which system(s) they will put their effort into. Money talks, so if you are a medium-sized gaming house, you have to think of where you want to put your money. Do you take a chance on a system that is in a distant 3rd place or do you switch to the 360 which has way mroe than 8 million units sold. If nothing else, they make it cross-platform to hedge their bet.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you choose the system which has millions of units sold vs. a system which hasn't broken 500K (depending on which report you believe; Sony hasn't given any official numbers). The opportunity for your game to be bought just isn't there. Thus, DMC and GT are going to the 360. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the ones that Sony doesn't own switch.

However, I won't count Sony out yet. Contrary to some people's views, a system lives or dies based off of the games companies make for it. Yes, the initial rush to buy one might not be affected by the number of games available (all gamers know that), but the next year of games released and promised will determine who comes out ahead next year. As popular as the Wii is right now if game makers don't produce good games for it, Sony and Microsoft will pick up their slack.

See the thing is that Both FFXIII and GT5 wont be out until next year. And they will not be on anyother system but Playstation 3.

However it makes me sad to know that MGS4 and DMC4 could be on the 360. I did not like MGS2 when it was ported over to the Xbox. There is only rumor that DMC4 from just random ppl that it will show on the 360. But I do think it is possible, Capcom has released DMC3 and is putting out RE4 on the PC. Being as though the 360 and PC hardware is simaliar it not a strech for DMC4 to be 360 bound. (Plus RE5 is going to the 360).

So in reality would you wiat for the price to drop? Should you wait for the price to drop? If cross platforming is something that is going down is there a need to own all three systems. Having two system (PS3 or 360 and Wii) will be the most convient for anyone. And coming from me means a lot. In looking at the PS3 lineup of games I will have bought most of them for the 360.

Right now it's all about price and not games. Would you pay the extra $200 for a PS3 that will carry most of the games seen on the 360? Or would you save $200 and get the games that you will see on the PS3?