What's the Most Difficult Megaman?

AmazonXD

Registered
Sep 24, 2015
I always like seeing everyone's opinions on which Megaman game is the hardest. I'm going to go ahead and keep it in the 8-bit era for this (although MMX is one of my favorites). I'm going to say Megaman 9 or 10 are definitely the hardest. Everything past MM4 was super easy, in my opinion.

But how about in YOUR opinion?

I would say that the final battles with Dr. Wiley at the ends of Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 8 were the most difficult moment in the classic series! (There's a reason as to why Wiley has such a wicked grin in those battles! Come to think of it, the final fight with Dr. Wiley in Mega Man II was difficult as well!) However, the rest of those Mega Man games leading up to that point weren't especially difficult.

Overall and as a whole, I'm actually going to all the way back to the original Mega Man as the most difficult of the classic series! Not only does it have especially aggravating moments like the platforming in Gutsman's stage or the fight with the Mega Man clone, but we're talking about the game that doesn't even have a password system! Cheating or not, the pause trick with Electric Beam and the Cut Blade is an absolute godsend!

Last edited:
Oh, yeah! The original Megaman game I remember was extremely frustrating at times. Even with the minor bosses such as Gutsman and also that pesky speed demon Bombman (I hated that fleet-footed midget). Cutman was easy enough though and also Iceman. I remember then, 3 of Electman's bolts will destroy Iceman, Cutman scissors will kill Electman and 3 hits from Bombman's bombs will end Gutsman. I just can't recall Fireman's and Bombman's weakness (maybe that was the reason why I took so long in dueling with both these guys.). It was great times.

Oh yes, those accursed disappearing blocks!

Arguably not as difficult as certain boss fights or some of the times Mega Man had to platform across rapidly moving tracks, but certainly a more regular pain that makes players wince on sight!

I always try to circumvent platforming across disappearing blocks whenever I can--be it by using Rush, the pre-Rush items from the first two games, the high jump trick in Mega Man III, etc.

And that's not just true of the Mega Man franchise: it's generally true of any game whatsoever with disappearing blocks!

I would say that the final battles with Dr. Wiley at the ends of Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 8 were the most difficult moment in the classic series! (There's a reason as to why Wiley has such a wicked grin in those battles! Come to think of it, the final fight with Dr. Wiley in Mega Man II was difficult as well!) However, the rest of those Mega Man games leading up to that point weren't especially difficult.

Overall and as a whole, I'm actually going to all the way back to the original Mega Man as the most difficult of the classic series! Not only does it have especially aggravating moments like the platforming in Gutsman's stage or the fight with the Mega Man clone, but we're talking about the game that doesn't even have a password system! Cheating or not, the pause trick with Electric Beam and the Cut Blade is an absolute godsend!
Dr. Wily's second capsule form in Mega Man 7 drove me bonkers. I can't beat him. I know how to beat him, but he's not vulnerable to attack often enough, and his attacks are so damned cheap. Four homing bullets? ARGH

Speaking of Mega Man 8, I'll toss in the first Wily level. The rest of the game ain't so bad, but riding those stupid rocket sleds... ugh. So many blind jumps. Kinda reminded me of that damned Battletoads bike section. 'Jump! Jump! Slide! Slide!' Blech.

Overall I'd say I've had the most trouble with some of the Mega Man Battle Network titles. I can usually beat the normal game, but the reaction times required for the bonus bosses... nooo thanks. I can make do without dying to Bass.exe a billion times.

I cannot lie, I can only beat Dr. Wiley in Mega Man 7 by outright cheating with an emulator's save states!

Also, those rocket sleds from Mega Man 8 were one of the main moments I was thinking of when I referred to platforming across moving tracks--and give me flashbacks to the similar and similarly brutal levels from Battletoads! (Another of those main moments being the moving tracks from Gutsman's stage in the original Mega Man!)

All instances in which the difficulty in an otherwise reasonable-but-challenging game is suddenly cranked way up!

The hardest ones for me were the X-Series games on the GBA, but I think a lot of that had to do with the sprites being bigger or the amount you can see being far less than on the console games.

I only played MegaMan 8, 9 and the X series.
For me, the toughest (mind you... not that I finished any of them 'til MMX was remade for iPhone) was by far MegaMan X4 for the PS1, closely followed by X2 on SNES. Crazy difficult games, but just as awesome! Ah, and the music!

It has not yet been mentioned in this thread, but my vote goes to Mega Man & Bass - even the first boss was a major challenge. Though my vote for most frustrating experience probably goes to the Ice Man's stage in Mega Man 1. The collision detection was the absolute worst. Not the toughest, but absolutely the most infuriating bug.