What is your definition of "gaming" when it comes to mobile?

techbeast34

Registered
Nov 9, 2014
The term "gaming" is used pretty ambiguously for a lot of devices, and now that games have moved to mobile devices, a lot of people are calling themselves "gamers." What do you think is "gaming" when it comes to mobile devices? Do you think playing games like Candy Crush should be included too? Or do you think they should be excluded?

I don't know when gaming became this all exclusive club, and mobile or people who just wanted to play games on occasion where not allowed. I think that anyone who enjoys playing games could be called games rather the game was something like Candy Crush or a big system game like Call of Duty.

I think anyone who takes it seriously enough can be called a gamer, especially if they are so obsessed that they end up being great at their chosen game. I don't really think it should be based on the simplicity of the game because all video games were simple once and even those who love those simple and earlier video games enough like Tetris, Mario, and Donkey Kong still could be called gamers.

Goldie, I was going to be all elite, but then you went and said all that. With that being said a gamer may play candy crush saga, but playing candy crush saga does not make you a gamer. Personally, the only serious gaming I do on my device is order and chaos. If you haven't heard of it, it's an MMORPG that is similar to World of Warcraft.

I'd say a gamer is a person who really enjoys a game and doesn't necessarily play only popular games, like Flappy bird or Candy Crush.

I don't mind if people who play a lot of mobile games call themselves 'gamers'. After all, many apps are games, too. You don't have to be playing video games 24/7 to be considered a gamer, at least, I don't think you have to be. As long as you enjoy gaming and respect each other's opinions, then you can consider yourself a gamer, even if you spend hours playing Candy Crush or Flappy Bird.

I think that anyone who plays a lot of mobile games is a gamer, because this is no different from playing the games on the PC or consoles if you look at it this way. The mobile games aren't as graphicaly good or something like that, but if the people enjoy playing these games and if they play them a lot, then they're called gamers, in my opinion.

I believe that no games should be excluded from classifying you as a gamer, as long as you are dedicated. Although someone who plays once in a while is a 'gamer', they shouldn't be classified as one. I think you should have had to play multiple games at one point and generally enjoy games, not just for attention.

I wouldn't exactly call the mobile devices a 'gaming' genre competitively. However, I would say it seems more like a large market for community gaming or the casual gamer. It's up to the individual to determine if they believe they're a gamer. I classify myself as a casual gamer because I play games like Cubic Castles and Don't Starve; games that are fun to play and aren't really competitive. However, someone else might classify casual gamer as someone who plays Halo or Left For Dead. I think it depends on the point of view.

I think the "gamer" or "gaming" label applies mostly to the more hardcore games, and I don't think mobile gaming is included in there. However, I don't blame those people who call themselves as a "gamer" only because they play Candy Crush or whatever it is that they're playing. Because those are still games, right? And if they want to classify themselves as such, they can do so, it's their own lives, anyway.