The PC-MOD

mercytriumph

Registered
Jul 9, 2005
California
www.xanga.com
A friend of mine just recently purchased a new PC off of ebay, it was a very sharp looking mod. With its windows, it's sound-activated lights, and even Counter-Strike fan grills. But, even with its sleek-diamond plated case, and it's Swiftech water cooling system, it just couldn't perform. Don't get me wrong, I've always been in love with PC Mods, but I come from a day when that meant increasing performance, not giving it a manicure and putting it on display. That doesn't mean that there aren't high-speed looking PC's out there that can't perform, I'm just warning all would-be PC-Mod buyers to look beyond the window etchings and fan covers, make sure you buy a PC that can perform as well as it looks...

BCampbell said:
Okay, thanks for joining us and telling us that.

Personally, I wouldn't necessarily call it a 'Mod" unless someone did it themselves. If you bought it hat way, it's not realy a "modification", is it?

Very good point.

the "mod-factor"

Well, if the PC is purchased by someone, modified, and than sold, it is still a MOD. If anything has been done enhancing performance or looks, it will always be MOD, whether sold or not...

Then you're getting into some strange territory.

For example, I built my current PC. Is that a mod? Everything I did to it was to improve performance or looks... because I built the damn thing. Some people seem to think that anything they do to a computer is a mod, so I guess when I bought a new video caard that was a mod, and when I installed the fans that was a mod, etc etc. That's pretty stupid.

If you're going to get technical about it, we need a better definition, that's all. By your definition, installing more RAM or an LED case fan is a mod. is it really though? Since mod means modify, a better definition would include the fact that the user sigificantly modified some aspect of the PC, altering it from the way it was when purchased. You can purchase prebuilt PC's with case windows, watercooling systems, and crazy lights, you know. Are those considered mods if the computer came that way? I don't think so.

Plus, it just sounds lame to say "someone else modded my PC" as opposed to "I modded my PC".

ya. i'd say that anything that is altered beyond factory specifications is "modified". for example, if you gutted a regular case, cut windows in it yourself, put plexiglass over the holes, etc etc the whole nine yards...you have modded your chassis.

same with cars. but if you buy a body kit...it's not a mod. it's a car body kit.

I think you guys sarcasim ran him away...good job guys :party:

I will still respond do his statement. You friend was a dumbass. Thats the 1st rule of PC buying is to know the specs. Plus just buy a modded case or mod your own computer.

Well hopefully me calling his friend a dumbass will have him running back to the fourms :bored: