The Nintendo Revolution Will Play SEGA Genesis and TurboGrafx Games!

Squints

Registered
Mar 21, 2006
CT, USA
"Iwata also announced partnerships with Sega and Hudson to offer downloadable access to their classic games via Revolution’s Virtual Console. Revolution owners will be able to relive their past gaming glories from the Sega Genesis console by playing a “best of” selection from more than 1,000 Genesis titles, as well as games sold for the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). These games join Revolution’s access to 20 years of fan-favorite Nintendo games from the NES, Super NES and Nintendo 64 eras."

From GDC. Awesome, eh?

Indeed. But more importantly (IMO) is how indie developers can release NEW games via the virtual console.

That is damn awesome on both accounts. I'm a big fan of 2d gaming. I feel like it never reached its full potential in terms of gameplay and visuals. Hopefully now indie developers--if I'm understanding this correctly--can release new games based off SNES or Genesis specs that rival the likes of a Super Metroid or Link to the Past. Maybe they'll get access to some good tools and resources or some kind of middleware to help them along as well. I'd definitely want to be part of a team making an indie game on the Virtual Console.

Concerning the Sega part of the announcement, more than a few years ago, Cable TV had their Sega Channel....It failed miserably, but they were one of the first to start that trend.....IMO.....Nintendo's new virtual console will be leaps and bounds over the Cable TV venture from before.....That should teach them not to go in uncharted waters again....

Did Altered Beast come out for the Genesis or was that just the Master System? That was a game I wasted numerous quarters on.

You're right wijg, it was out for the Genesis....I had it for my console back then.....The game itself was kind of a dumb-downed version of the Arcade.....however, it was still purely addicting....Now the question is, was Double Dragon on the Genesis??....i wanna say it was but i'm not sure....Me thinks i'll just get a Revolution for that game alone.....i will.....oh yeah, i will.....don't dare me

BowlingForHobos said:
I don't think nintendo is going to put much effort into catering to indie developers, which sucks because it would be great to get in some new 2d gaming.

Actually, some smaller development teams like Nibris and Crossbeam Studios are making excellent progress, and are getting help from publishers.

I believe that Nintendo is about to get really agressive in the market. I expect that anything (like having as many classics as well as indie developers) that makes them look better will be used. Why not? It costs them nothing to develop and they could get big money back on very little investment.

I have heard some rumors from a couple of people at sony saying that they would like to see indie developers pop up on PS3's online community but that they are waiting to see if anyone else makes the attempt first before they cater to indies. God forbid sony take an innitiative.

As for the revolution, the more I think about indies for it, the more I'm torn. On the one hand, the console seems the perfect fit and form, what with the insane new controler and a regeneration of the pixel filled glory days. But, then again, nintendo in the past has always been by the book old school and they are really cagey with their secrets.

It would be cool though. I think if they did embrace indies it would help pull them out of their hole. Successful independent development could entice some more powerful third parties to take a swing.

Well, Nintendo is offering indie developers a chance to create games and distribute them over the virtual console. If this becomes especially popular, I foresee Sony and Microsoft doing something similar. And of course with the relative ease of development and low costs, then in all odds some of the already-organized indie developers will be quickly scooped up by publishers.

ANYWAY!

SCEE has said that the PS3 is going to cost only 500-600 Euros, and may end up as low as $500 American (not quite sure how that ended up . in addition to it coming out around the same time as the Revolution, that could mean bad things for Nintendo.

Squints said:
"Iwata also announced partnerships with Sega and Hudson to offer downloadable access to their classic games via Revolution’s Virtual Console. Revolution owners will be able to relive their past gaming glories from the Sega Genesis console by playing a “best of” selection from more than 1,000 Genesis titles, as well as games sold for the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). These games join Revolution’s access to 20 years of fan-favorite Nintendo games from the NES, Super NES and Nintendo 64 eras."

Does this mean I will get to revisit some glorious pasttimes on from the Genesis such as Shining Force?? *eyes glitter hopefully*

Just think from final fight to streets of rage. Everything form Vectorman t osuper metriod. I can play them all. And everytime i here of this i get all geekey inside and a pass out. so many great games som many to look back on a destroy. You know what i'm talkin bout Contra Hard corps, Meta Gear. Golden Axe. It's like a little kid at a toy store. awwwwww

ickes said:
whoa whoa whoa... hold on... im gonna need a better controller to play all those different games lol

The contorller will be able to hose all of these games...........Well the NES ones

Byt Nintendo has said that they will have a shell for the controller. it is to look somthing like the wavebird. I saw a pic of what it could be like on IGN but i cant find it anymore.

Hardcore said:
Nintendo better offer all these for free.

HA nope there will be a charge. Don't konw who much tho. XBL has a charge and ppl dont care. As long as its cheap it'll be okay. Nintendo wont cheat everyone on this it's too important. Maybe they will have a Netfilx type of deal.