The Golden Age of handheld gaming is upon us

Ninja_Bee

Registered
Apr 20, 2006
Sunset Beach
This may sound a bit academic, but I believe the DS has the potential to change the face of gaming in regards to how the media and general public view gaming. Not only is it the most innovative handheld system ever, but it definitely has some truly ground breaking gems to up the average gamer’s intelligence quotient.

Phoenix Wright
Cooking Mama
Trauma Center
Brain Age
Big Brain Academy
Kanji no Wataridori

So what do we have here? The first three games see players take the role of an attorney, chef, and surgeon respectively. The next three improve cognitive thinking skills. And although the last game will never see release outside of Japan (since it is an action adventure teaching tool for helping students master the hundreds of Kanji they need for entrance exams) it is a great example of a game that can level up the average individuals noggin’. These are the types of games that provide parents with piece of mind. Moreover, their encouraging reception by gamers at retail will hopefully mean that more developers will take chances and continue to innovate rather than rely on sequels and licensed entities.

Finally, a lot of love has to be given to Nintendo for actually bringing these games to the States in the first place. Nintendo would have been hard pressed to bring these types of games out to the States a decade ago, but this new trend points to a golden age of handheld gaming.

Yeah, although this genre does seem to be booming, I don't think it ushers in a new era for the DS. If the DS is going to change anything about gaming, it's going to have to do with the whole feel behind gaming, what with the touch screen and stylus.

Wifi gaming and N64-power graphics are great and everything, but I tend to agree with Spuds on the GBA being the golden age. For some reason, I don't get as excited about DS releases as I used to when new GBA releases would come out. I'm not lying when I say I'm pumped for the Final Fantasy stuff and other titles that are coming out... the DS has some great things going for it. But the PSP also has a similar song and dance (except Sony's performance is more about power-specs and has games that are considered more "grown-up" :p ). Maybe what made the GBA so great is that there was nothing really competing with it at the time (although there was that Wonderswan thing that came and passed, and that contraption called the ngage). The GBA ruled the portable world, and most of the time the new releases were thrilling. Golden Sun? The Mario and Luigi series debut? First Warioware game? NES re-releases? Advance Wars? Many other titles I'm forgetting? All in spectacular portable graphics *reminisce*

That's my theory (and my thinking out loud in the past few minutes).

Well, the DS is a personal revolution in my own gaming experience.

It is the FIRST EVER portable gaming system I've owned. I never had a GameBoy, or any of its iterations. I never had a GameGear. I used to have a phone that I could play "Snake" on, but I don't think that counts.

It says something that I never paid much attention to hand-held gaming until the DS came along (specifically the DS Lite). It was revolutionary enough to pull me into a market I had no prior interest in.

Pokemons. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (or any of the remade ones). Fire Emblem. Kirby. Boktai. Well, thing is that you can only really find em when you go to Gamestop. Just go there, see what they have.

I had mucho troublo getting online last night. Never managed it. I'll try again soon, but I've determined that I hate the current generation of wireless networks. Too fickle and not at all user friendly. The DS does its level best to be user friendly and cover all the bases, but you're still at the mercy of the local network settings.

I may do just that. But I'd rather try my other troubleshooting options first. Besides, I'm only living with my parents for another 100 days, then I'll be getting my own router for my own place and I can make sure it will work.

The USB thingy, can two DS's run on one adapter?