Superman Did Not Suck one BIT

PrinceLUDA21

Registered
Apr 18, 2006
Philly
Okay I went last night to see Superman, They showed the Spiderman 3 trailer Go check out that also.

The movie had big ups, Brandon Ruth in my mind was a great pick and did a grat Job, a littl work here and there and he could be Superman. Lois was a bad pick as far as looks and I didn't like the chemistry between her and Kent. She really was not a could Lois for the movie. Spacey was great ( just wish he had more parts ) The parts with Him and Routh was great the worked well together and Do a better job then Hackmen and Revees. This movie just proves that Singer is the right pick to do comic bokk movies. He is not a fan of the comic's but a person who see's the movie aspect of the story. This felt more like the Dhomer film with better grapichs. Not bad but a great choice. Instead of trying to Re-Do Superman it's just a foloow up to Superman 1 and 2. Sidebar: this mean no Superman 3 or 4 YESSSSSSSSSS. So if you a Superman Fan go see it, if you need a movie to see go see it, If you liked X-Men 1 and 2 GO SEE IT.

Plus you can see the Spiderman 3 trailer in case you missed the other thread here is the link
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/spider-man_3/index.html

SPOILER WARNING

Superman? More like average man. I had major issues with this movie:

1- Superman is a stalker. What the heck is up with him spying on Lane and her family?
2- Seriously now, how in the hell could Superman get the crap beat out of him by Lex because he was on that kryptonite island and then minutes later he picks up the same island and hurls it into space with kryptonite stuck in his back? It's like Singer said, okay here the island will hurt him, but here he'll be really pissed so it won't matter that the island should kill him since he's basically holding the damn thing in his hands.
3- How stupid can Luthor's goons be? The moron stops watching Lois to play the piano with her son?! Are you kidding me!
4- Exactly how many times did Lane put her family at risk in the movie? She's an idiot.
5- Is there some rule in Superman movies that says Lex's girlfriends will ultimately feel sorry for and help Superman?
6- Lois is a lying tramp. She has Superman's baby, and then suckers some loser into believing the kid is his. That's just wrong, movie or not.
7- Besides the airplane scene, the none of the action really wowed me. Nothing else really puts you on the edge of your seat.
8- There is way too much dialogue in this movie, it didn't need to be over 2 & 1/2 hrs long.
9- And lastly, the main plot is pretty lame. A new world made up of kryptonite land, yawn. What's the next movie going to be about, Superman not paying child support? Wake me up when they decide to do a movie with Bizzaro or Doomsday.

Maverick said:
SPOILER WARNING

Superman? More like average man. I had major issues with this movie:

1- Superman is a stalker. What the heck is up with him spying on Lane and her family?

I have no clue but I do agree stalker.

Maverick said:
SPOILER WARNING2- Seriously now, how in the hell could Superman get the crap beat out of him by Lex because he was on that kryptonite island and then minutes later he picks up the same island and hurls it into space with kryptonite stuck in his back? It's like Singer said, okay here the island will hurt him, but here he'll be really pissed so it won't matter that the island should kill him since he's basically holding the damn thing in his hands.

He it was a very small peice. Thing is it's all will power. Plus when he lifted the island it was all Kryptonite. it was more Earth later on you see the parts break off and there is the rcok.

Maverick said:
SPOILER WARNING3- How stupid can Luthor's goons be? The moron stops watching Lois to play the piano with her son?! Are you kidding me!

I have no clue don't get pissed at stupid gonns. They are all over comics "let shoot superman" like that would hurt him.

Maverick said:
SPOILER WARNING4- Exactly how many times did Lane put her family at risk in the movie? She's an idiot.

Ok I agree with the Lois in the movie she was not the best pick and she sucked get over it.

Maverick said:
SPOILER WARNING5- Is there some rule in Superman movies that says Lex's girlfriends will ultimately feel sorry for and help Superman?

Thats because Superman is sexy and wome3n like that I guess.

Maverick said:
SPOILER WARNING6- Lois is a lying tramp. She has Superman's baby, and then suckers some loser into believing the kid is his. That's just wrong, movie or not.

Well if you watched the First 2 Revees movies, Superman became Human for one day banged he rbrains out. But once he needed to be Superman again he was told the Losi would loose her memory. Thats why that happened. Lois lost her memory at the end of Superman 2 and that were this movei picks up from.

Maverick said:
SPOILER WARNING7- Besides the airplane scene, the none of the action really wowed me. Nothing else really puts you on the edge of your seat.

It's been like that in evey Superman Movie. Superman is not the action packed guy that every body want him to be.
Maverick said:
SPOILER WARNING8- There is way too much dialogue in this movie, it didn't need to be over 2 & 1/2 hrs long.

Did other movies. You know how much talking is in them. Remember this was not to be a remake.

Maverick said:
SPOILER WARNING9- And lastly, the main plot is pretty lame. A new world made up of kryptonite land, yawn. What's the next movie going to be about, Superman not paying child support? Wake me up when they decide to do a movie with Bizzaro or Doomsday.

That may happen to see Bizzaro or Doomsday but Higly unlikly. But that was not the main plot. It was about How Superman Left and that he is back. On why the World does and does not nedd Superman. It was about Superman's Return to earth. How Lois wanted to move on but could not. How Lex still hate him and want revenge on Superman. The world needs a hero and thats what it was about. Singer's reason I think is because it's been about 10 or more years since a Superman movie. He wanted to bring him back into our lives.

Okay I'll take some of your answers, especially the one about the kid (I haven't seen part II in forever). But not to get too serious, one part I forgot about until ActionHank brought it up in another post were the comparisons between Superman and Christ. He's called the world's savior a few times (he even basically calls himself a savior when he's talking with Lois), and then when he flies above the clouds to get recharged by the sun they have the heavens parts for him when he flies back down to earth. I don't understand why that had to be in the movie at all.

Ok I’m not a expert at this but I may have an answer.

In the real world hero’s are looked upon as saviors right? Were not talking about superpowers but hero’s icon’s role models. Now in Spiderman 2, the train scene spidey was looked upon as Jesus. So question, would you not look upon someone like that who just saved your life? They are not Gods but have to have the Jesus like appeal because that save people. I mean who else will stand up for the little guy huh? Remember this is a movie based on a comic book. Movies are meant to give you that feel that this is a world we can or will live in. Superman is the one good thing in the world that everybody looks up to. Aunt May said it best in SP2 “Everybody needs a Hero, Some to look up to. Someone to tell them to hold on just a little bit longer, So they can tell the story about how they stood in the rain for hours just to get a glipms of the person who saved them”. I may have missed a line somewhere in there. But that is the reason. People stood in line a followed Jesus for years, all because he gives some hope. Superman does that, or is to do that. He is to give hope to everyone that there is still good left in the world. There is a reason for him to be there because we all need saving even from ourselves.

Now I hope that helps to explain on why it is put in the movie. I understand why some people get upset when they see this in a movie. But the comic’s don’t show that side. You are supposed to get that feeling when reading that they are something more

Whoo, saw the movie yesterday, and like prince said it did not suck one bit.

Best part of the movie: Supes' face while lifting the island. Looked like he needed some laxatives. lol

2nd best part: Supes getting shot in the eye and not flinching. Everyone was like :O

Worst part of the movie: It wasn't actually part of the movie but the row behind me was almost full of little kids and babies. One baby cried through half of the friggin movie. And near the end the kid was still crying, and his dad was saying, "See look, Superman's dying. See, he's dead."
YEAH LIKE THATS GONNA CHEER HIM UP!!!
And At the part where it was obvious where it was Supes child, (not much of avoiding a spoiler but it's something), a 6 or 7 year old behind me shouted "You lie! You big liar! You lie! That's Superman's baby! You liar!"
... You don't say...

*Sigh* but I digress...
The movie was really good and I agree that Spacey did a good job.
"C'mon say it, tell me what I want to hear" "Superman will never let you..." "WRONG!!!"
hehe...

Also I realized a lot of Christ references pertaining to Superman. I'm too lazy to type them.
But if you ask nicely I'll try to access the confines of my memory to... remember them...

phew...

Okay, I have to take issue about the "Lois" being a lying tramp thing. Even if you don't buy the "she lost her memory" explanation (from Superman II), let's look at what would happen had she acknowledged her baby's origins....let's see: her baby would be in constant danger, she would be rendered ineffective as a reporter being constantly required to hide her child from the public eye and she would never be able to move on with her own life since Superman was the one who had actually left five years previous.

I don't think either of the characters could be villified. They made very human decisions under what would be considered extraordinary conditions (even in their world where superheroes exist). I liked the movie because it really did feel like an extension of Richard Donner's original take, Routh and Spacey were very good and the story kept up a good pace.

Oh, I do believe Lex Luthor needs to exercise more discretion when it comes to women who may not be wholly committed to his real estate scams. Maybe he should casually broach the subject of mass murder or genocide for purely financial gain over their first dinner date?

Superman=Jesus.

He always has he always will. He's always been a Christ figure in our modern mythology. Any hero who puts up the ultimate sacrifice is a Christ figure.

Mav, if you have a problem with a Superman story being an allegory for the passion of Christ, then why in the world do you want to see a movie with Doomsday in it? The Death of Superman is even more of a Christ story than this was!

Oh, and by the way:

Lex = Satan, stabbing Supes then "tempting" him to fly (like when Satan takes Jesus to the highest tower in Jerusalem and dares him to jump off.)

Kryptonite shard = nails and Roman spear.

Lex's Island = Cross/Sin of the world -- Superman has to carry the whole thing at one time all by himself, a burden that kills him (more or less).

When "It is Finished" and he's tossed the island into space, he falls to Earth, in the shape of a cross.

Martha = Mary, watching at the hospital, her son's death from afar.

Lois = (weakly) Mary Magdalene.

The whole film was akin to a "Second Coming"

Jor El is the father who gives his Only Son to Earth in order to save it from itself.

But you know I would like to see Doomsday in the moive. I mean now we have never really seen a villian from the comics in a Superman movie. Plus if they did put him in you could slide in a few DC charcaters in there. Maybe not visual ( that would be to many legale problems) but in words. Like I heard that this thing coming cross the cuntry just took out Green Lantern, An destoryed Gothem.

O Sidebar: Did annbody else here the Gothem report in the movie, When the nes reporter was like " we have reports coming in from Gothem. All when he came back. O more sidebar: I also picked up on a lot of lines from the first movie. Like when he saved the plane. And said I" I hope this dosen't put any one of flying" And when Lex was telling Lois of his plan. He spoke of Land and how it's so important it is.

See how that works with the sliding in of other hero's. But Bizaro would be nice to see. But I relllay don't know who would be perfect. The Parasite I think would be my personal pick.

basilmunroe said:
Superman=Jesus.

He always has he always will. He's always been a Christ figure in our modern mythology. Any hero who puts up the ultimate sacrifice is a Christ figure.

Not in my book. I agree they tried to make it look like a second coming, and that's what upsets me. I never got that kind of symbolism from the comics. They went way too far in the movie. He's just a guy who does good things like Spiderman, Captain America, etc. Just because they show this kind of thing in a movie doesn't mean it's been so prevalent in the books.

basilmunroe said:
Oh, and by the way:

Lex = Satan, stabbing Supes then "tempting" him to fly (like when Satan takes Jesus to the highest tower in Jerusalem and dares him to jump off.)

Kryptonite shard = nails and Roman spear.

Lex's Island = Cross/Sin of the world -- Superman has to carry the whole thing at one time all by himself, a burden that kills him (more or less).

When "It is Finished" and he's tossed the island into space, he falls to Earth, in the shape of a cross.

All of this is stuff added in the movie. None of it is in the comics so none of it is real, so to speak. It's just something manufactured for a movie. Show me this kind of thing in a comic and then we can talk.

basilmunroe said:
Mav, if you have a problem with a Superman story being an allegory for the passion of Christ, then why in the world do you want to see a movie with Doomsday in it? The Death of Superman is even more of a Christ story than this was!

Because I want insane fight sequences. That storyline can be in a Superman movie without all the added "savior" talk. People die and come back all the time in comics, but they're not compared to Jesus.

All I want is a villain who doesn't come up with absurd schemes. I want someone who can stand up to Superman by himself. No goons, no silly human bad guys, no plots involving illegitimate children, no more kryptonite to fall back on to advance/heighten the story, and no Lois getting captured to lure Supes into a trap. I want a real action movie, and no "smack you in your face" similarities to Jesus have to be made.

scribe999 said:
Okay, I have to take issue about the "Lois" being a lying tramp thing. Even if you don't buy the "she lost her memory" explanation (from Superman II), let's look at what would happen had she acknowledged her baby's origins....let's see: her baby would be in constant danger, she would be rendered ineffective as a reporter being constantly required to hide her child from the public eye and she would never be able to move on with her own life since Superman was the one who had actually left five years previous.

If Lois remembers sleeping with Superman then she is a lying tramp. I never said she should tell the whole world Superman has a child. My problem is not that she is lying about the kid not being Superman's, it's that she lied to her husband. He has a right to know if that kid isn't his. He doesn't have to know who the father is, he just has to know it's not him. If you don't agree that the "father" needs to know he's just a father figure then we just disagree totally.

I am a comic fan and yes, I did like the movie. I have a few issues with it, but it was good overall. There were parts where there was no distinction between Routh and Christopher Reeves.

Here are my issues:

1) The actor choice was good, but seriously, get the boy in a gym. Supes is a big ol' farm boy, not He-man sized, but beefier than a pretty boy. This guy had the build of a boy band.

2) The island scene lost continuity within its own movie! I won't go into the details, but for those who saw it, you know what I'm talking about.

3) I wanted to see more of Clark Kent. The movie focused a great deal on him being Superman that I actually missed the bumbling guy that seems permantently locked in Lois' friend zone. (Guys will definitely know what I'm talking about).

4) The chick hanging out with Lex must be a demon in bed because she was absolutely useless to him otherwise. He even makes fun of her.

I liked the movie. Spacey was the best Luthor ever (took it back to being psycho). Routh was good. The amigous time period was good. Them using plenty of references and even clips from the original Superman movies (Marlon Brando's part) were creatively good. Go see the movie, it's worth seeing on the big screen.

Mav, you can choose to ignore the allegory in whatever you watch/read, but that doesn't mean it won't be there, or hasn't always been there.

N-E-Ways...

What I want to see, is a Lex that's more like the comic books, not psycho and evil, just a ruthless business man with a bent for Superman's destruction, not the destruction of the world. Luthor is supposed to be a power crazy, glory crazy fame worshipper, not a mass murderer. He's supposed to be in constant competition with Superman for the love and respect of the people.

I say, bring in a Super villain, as Mav suggests (not Doomsday though), and have Superman and Team Luthor competing to defeat the villain, but Superman ending up having to clean up the mess Luthor makes as well.

That will be a Supes movie true to the more recent books.

Bringing in Doomsday would detract from the Luthor vs. Supes rivalry (besides, if they spent so much just to make this movie, how much more would it take to do Doomsday!). I would like to see him trying to dupe the people into liking him, but keep in mind that he's never shied away from plans that benefit him, but hurt innocents. He just tends to keep it a bit quieter. Now that he's out of prison, though, he can rebuild his empire. It would be cool to see him appearing to play it straight and frustrating Supes as he looks to put him away.

Keep in mind, though, that Singer was keeping more in tune with the movies and not the books. The movie Luthor didn't care what the people thought as long as he ruled the world.

Darth_Jonas said:
Keep in mind, though, that Singer was keeping more in tune with the movies and not the books. The movie Luthor didn't care what the people thought as long as he ruled the world.
Right, and that's the main detractor from the movies as far as I'm concerned. It brings it down to melodrama, which I'm not a huge fan of unless it's being mocked (Think Dudley Do-Right and Snidely Whiplash). Luthor makes a great heavy, yes, but I really think that Superman has grown past melodrama in the books and on TV, and should in the films as well. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie, gonna buy the DVD, and all that, I'd just really like to see movie Supes grow up a bit. Spacey could do a Luthor that was closer to the books very well, if you ask me. He already toned down the silly with this iteration.

basilmunroe said:
Mav, you can choose to ignore the allegory in whatever you watch/read, but that doesn't mean it won't be there, or hasn't always been there.

This is probably the last thing I have to say about this subject. I don't argue that, that kind of thing hasn't always been around. I do argue that they have never gone as far as that movie has. If this has been the norm as I think you're saying, then where are all the analogies in the other movies, maybe I missed them when I was a kid.

Darth_Jonas said:
Bringing in Doomsday would detract from the Luthor vs. Supes rivalry (besides, if they spent so much just to make this movie, how much more would it take to do Doomsday!).

It doesn't always have to be about Lex though. Give his character a movie off, come up with a good story for him for a change. The cost of the movie would be about the same. Take out the kryptonite world junk, the shots of Superman going out into space for no reason, the shots of Superman helping random people to fill time, take out the kid stuff, and add Bizzaro or Doomsday. It wouldn't add another $100 mil. to the cost or anything like that. With CG heavy movies like The Hulk and The Matrix not getting totally out of hand money-wise why would you think Spuerman would?

They need to break from the mold. It's been the same story over and over again, just like X-Men with Magneto (they need a movie without Magneto). There are other villains in these comics, we don't have to have to same person over and over.

You're right, of course, this movie went much more into the allegory than any of the others. In fact I would say that this is the first Superman film that really touched the allegory at all. However, it's been in the comics (Death of Superman, specifically, and Kingdom Come) blatently, moreso than this film. So it IS the norm. It's also been hinted at in Smallville, in season 1, when Clark is given a kryptonite neclace and hung on a stake as a scarecrow.

In my opinion, this movie has come the closest of any to the REAL Superman, the one of the books.

I agree with bringing in fresh meat. Luthor is always a good one to have in the background, though. Maybe he is the catalyst for Bizarro or another villain to give Supes grief. You're right about the kryptonite being overused. Doomsday was a good story because he didn't need no stinkin' kriptonite to hand supes his red underoos. I've always thought they made him too powerful. It's tough to bring something in that can give him a real challenge. I think that's one of the reasons I've always liked Batman, Xmen, Spiderman, and even the Hulk better. They aren't invincible, some of them have incredible powers but they have major limitations. Batman has no powers, so he uses his mind to out-think his enemies. The Xmen may have mad, crazy abilities, but all of them have limitations.

It's too late to make him weaker (except for the overused kryptonite), so make some uber-villains. I don't really think Bizarro would be so great, but there is a certain guy that has omega beams shooting out his eyes and rules a really nasty planet....

Yea I think we can finally see a great villian in a Sup movie now. Doomsday would be great but we can't Kill Sup ( not yet anyway ) I would love to see Darkside in a Movie. Dreams of what could be. If Singer is doing it then I may be happy. Don't know if I want anyone else to do a Sup movie. BATMAN. Never change directors X-Men 3 and the Batman movies confirms this.