Super Metroid

wijg

Asst Reviews Editor
Registered
Jun 23, 2005
The Old Same Place
We don't have a classics section, but I thought this topic would best fit here. I just wrote a user review for Super Metroid and the bossman suggested that we start a forum topic as well, so here it is.

My main point of emphasis in my review is the control scheme. Before Prime came out, SM had the best control scheme I had ever experienced. Prime and Echoes are good, but SM still might top them. I hope the geniuses that developed that game are living the good life somewhere or even better still working in the industry. Super Metroid was just one of the best games ever.

I also talked about how I think it is pretty impressive that the games are so popular when 3 of the 7 in the series are basically the same story. The continued success is a sign that the gameplay is extremely solid. If the gameplay lives up to it, I will gladly return to Zebes and the Mother Brain until the universe collapses in on itself, or whatever will happen at the end of all things.

SM was a great game back in the day, but I feel that Metroid Fusion far surpasses it in every category including play control and story.

Story obviously because it was about something different. Also, Samus seemed to have more a personality through some of the cutscenes.

I didn't like how they switched away from the shoulder buttons aiming diagonally up and down. I would have been fine with pressing start or select to activate the missiles. That was the setback in my opinion. I did like how you could grab ledges though. Also, as I recall the wall jump was a little awkward. Perhaps I am remembering it wrong. Just my opinions.

Definately one of my favorite games ever. Once you got the hang of those controls...with dash... space jump...and screw attack...you were so deadly and badazz! The new ones on The Cube are great too...and on a new level... but in its own right, Super Metroid was one of the best for sure!

Super Metroid did amazing things for 2D adventures! This series is rife with industry changing standards! Just look at how Prime is pushing 3-D adventure with a first person perspective.

But I digress, SM was monumental and is a testament to the true power of gameplay. Rock on!

!

i so loved SM , it was one of the best games in the supernintendo time, thje prime series are cool but..... (you can kill metroids whit powerbeam).... its a bit deep. SM was the best! i loed this new sector Maridia and in Echoes they took Maridias idea for deep Torvus Bog(its the same music also lol) well anyway, im lefting saying that im still stuck on the blogg pack leader after we get the gravity boost.(if sum1 got tactics, tell me plz ice_knight8@hotmail.com) and also says me... was there a power grip in super metroid? cuz i finished the game whit 1 place left in the misc.

Last edited:
I very much enjoyed Super Metroid, but if I had to count how often Space Jump or wall jump messed me up, I wouldn't have been able to finish it in under the requisite 3 hours.