Suikoden IV

What did Konami do wrong to this one?

The demo left me a bit cold, but I haven't tried the full version so I can't go bashing it or anything. I do like that Konami had a thing on their website where you could get a free soundtrack CD (and other stuff if you had the game/artbook).

Well, I liked Suikoden 1 ok, didn't play suikoden 2 (I tried, i just couldnt FIND ONE!!!), and loved beyond words Suikoden 3. I'm expecting Suikoden 4 to be good, but I am iffy on the whole return of the silent protagonist thing, and I don't like how it's a prequel.....I would've preferred another sequel. Plus, I'm kinda disappointed about the lack of characters from other Suikodens, yeah, I know there is Jeanne, Vicky, Ted and Leknaat, but I think they could've worked in other True Rune people, like Joshua, Flame Champion, Jimba/Wyatt, Stallion (whether or not the True Holy Rune is a True rune is debated...), Pesmerga, and others. I haven't played this though, but I will soon. I just wish I knew what happened between Suikoden 2 and 3, like with Edge and Viktor.

To me this game just seems ....stale, then agian my rpg diet has consisted of shin megami tensei nocturne, now that game is virtual crack mixed in with a little bit of heaven, and I think I also tasted egg and cinnamon

Well, I have to say, Suikoden 4 is no disappointment as for quality. The gameplay is solid and the plot is good. I do have a few gripes though, the battle system lacks the Chrono Trigger-style depth, which set it above so many other RPGs. Also, the silent protagonist is a long-dead entity in games, especially in voice acted ones. The game also isn't as deep as Suikoden 3, which had the incredible Bujutsu/Rune power-ups, which made the game incredibly customizable, but still easy-to-use and particularly good. Lastly, the over-abundance of monsters makes things like travel (especially the constant sea-faring) can become annoying. The break from Suikoden tradition is also disappointing, for a hardcore Suiko fan like me. However, the battle style is still solid and the 108 Stars still makes the game have high replay value. This installation, though not as good as Suikoden 3 (IMO), is still a quality RPG which easily beats out the likes of Final Fantasy, and with its lower price (only $40) this game is a good pickup for any RPG fan with a PS2.