street fighter alpha 3

daiconv

animator
Registered
Aug 6, 2005
chemical plant zone
well, i picked up SFA3 a few days ago, and it's not too bad. The controls are way better than darkstalkers, but i still have some difficulty doing shoryuken motions from the right side of the screen. it's also difficult when things start to get furiously fast paced to execute split second specials, but that might just be because i suck.

all and all i would be satisfied, IF ONLY THERE WERE ONLINE PLAY!

that was like, the main reason i bought the game. very dissapointing

Is there a Street Fighter game in the works that will be online? For that matter, are there any one-on-one fighting games coming out for the 360 that are xbl enabled?

Yes...probably. There is a yet-to-be-named Guilty Gear coming to the 360 that only has a small website up that shows a semi-cyborg kinda Ky Kiske. There aren't any confirmed details on its gameplay, but Guilty Gear is a 2d series. There's also rumors that now that the King of Fighter series will no longer be year-by-year, that the games will be released singularly in America after 94 Rebout and Neowave are released. And KOF XI is freakin crazy.

Right now, though, the only place to get an online SF fix is Anniversary Collection on the Xbox. I've been playing that lately and the people there are really, really good.

They won't be coming out for a while, though. Though, the Xbox is the best place for online fighting, and since SNK-America loves the XBox, it's getting all the KOFs, Samurai Showdowns and such, but none of the XBL freeware for those games has come out, so you can't play them on a 360.

Looking forward, though, the Xbox is definitely looking like it'll be the best of the consoles for fighting games. They have DOA4, the various SNK games, a Guilty Gear, and a "next-gen" Soul Calibur game.

yeah, i'll definately have to get an xbox, and i guess i'll have to get used to using that huge controller. i hope they don't screw up guilty gear by trying to make it 'next gen'

how's DOA4? is it still just a button masher?

DOA2 Ultimate pretty much made button mashers laughably easy to beat. DOA4 made it even easier. It's really great. (but some of Ryu's moves got nerfed and shifted around).

And Daicon, they made a much smaller version of the Xbox's "turtle" controller.

xbox_controller_s3b.jpg

That's the first party one. There's also plenty of arcade sticks, as well as that badass Akuma controller I showed.

i forgot about that akuma controller, that one looks pretty decent too. i don't know if that's actual size, but i sized my hands up with the image and it seems like a good fit

i've had bad experiences with people (girls in particular) who've never touched doa3, whooping the crap outta me; but then again, maybe i just suck.

Well, DOA 3 was pretty unbalanced, on top of being more button-masher friendly. DOA Ultimate 1 and 2 really improved the counter system, and made it much easier to do pressure strings and pokes once you know a character's moveset. DOA4 improves on that even further.

For the controller, I'd recommend going to a Gamestop and trying out the Xbox controllers and seeing if you like em. Thankfully, there are loads of Xbox controllers out there, including big ones and small ones and even arcade sticks. So you'll probably be able to find one you like. And that image I posted is sized down. They arent actually that small.

The 360 controller does have a learning curve on it.....but all in all, i'd say it is a little bit better that the Xbox Controller "S".......Haven't played Halo 2 on it yet, and that won't be the ultimate deciding factor......But i have played Kameo and it requires quite a few button presses to acheive the goal in each room......But in the end, if you can just play with the controller for a couple of hours, you will find that it beats out most of the contollers out there today....

Another cool thing about the 360 is that it allows you to configure your default settings for different styles of games: racing, shooters, etc.

The one thing I don't like about the 360 controller is the middle/silver button (forgot what it's called). I don't have a problem with it on most games i.e. Call of Duty, Project Gotham Racing, Condemned, et cetera. But with games like DoA4 and Fight Night I find that I accidently press that button more than a few times. And since the game doesn't pause when that menu comes up I always get cheap hit on me. Still though, I love the controller. Also I think they should've kept the black and white buttons and just added the bumpers.