Streaming Games

jdroc

Registered
Nov 7, 2014
The past couple of days, I've been seeing articles about all the cool dude many money streaming video games. I was always interested in this concept. I always rank high in COD and I've had some pretty epic matches (video to prove lol). Has anyone tried this? What was your experience like?

Last edited:
You got to realize the people who make money streaming games are the very very tiny minority. There is no shortage of people streaming their games live online. I personally stream games for fun every once in a while and am happy to get 10 viewers. The guys making a living on streaming are usually the cream of the crop, top 50 players in their games and treat it like a job. Non-stop gaming for 8 hours plus. I like gaming but that's too much. And to build that audience of thousands to watch your stream... it's a monumental task.

If you want to stream though go for it. The newer consoles have built in stream functionality and the cost to entry assuming you have a capable desktop or laptop is only a few hundred for equipment.

Well thanks for the input. I do play the games I like to play intensely, like nonstop if I get into them. I was ranked in the top 500 in the world the last two COD games. I've never played with a solid clan though until last year. I'm very competitive, not just in Video Games, but in whatever I decide to beat a person in, lol. Just tinkering with the idea. I know it takes a lot of work to make money, but I'm already playing so much I just wanted some input, so thanks

I just started watching twitch last night. I have to watch more because the layout is a little different for me.

Okay, so... here's the thing about streaming. You can absolutely do it and be successful, without a doubt. However, it's going to take some serious time, dedication, and creativity. Since there are an abundance of streamers, all pretty much identical, you have to set yourself apart from the crowd somehow in what you offer. Whether that's through gimmicks on your channel or simply your personality, it's very important that you are unique in some way. Additionally, it's important to note that the people making their living off streaming usually have nothing else distracting them in their life -- they've quit their jobs and finished school in order to become a full-time streamer. They stream all day. They eat on stream. They take bathroom breaks while still streaming, etc.

The most important factor is this -- have a regular schedule. You might only have 2-3 viewers for a few weeks, then maybe 10 for a month or two -- if you're lucky, out of those, a few will become regulars. You need to give these regulars something to expect and look forward to for your stream. Even if it's not set in stone, try to stream for 1-2 hours every other day, or something like that, at least. Post that in your channel info so people know when to expect you.

Make your channel pretty! While it's not an actual requirement to be successful, it always helps and gives people something nice to look at. It also reflects you as a person, and may come off more professionally to a viewer.
Never ask for/demand donations... instead, give people incentive or reason to donate...e.g. put on the screen somewhere very small "Donation Goal $0/$10 - reach goal for giveaway" or something like that. Again, not required, but gives people incentive.

Lastly, just try to be patient and not get discouraged. If you find yourself saying, "Why am I doing this? Nobody watches anyway," you'll get unmotivated and never get anywhere. Just persevere. Even if you're the best gamer in the world, people still need to find you and like you! You can do it. Good luck!

I've been watching these types of streams for about a month now and I have to admit they are more entertaining than I originally thought. I've also heard from the veteran streamers and it sounds like it does take a lot of effort to get started and to take off. You have to come up with something unique and entertaining enough to separate yourself from the rest of the streamers and even then it would take a lot to get noticed especially if the game you're playing is already very popular and already has lots of content contributors.

Okay, so... here's the thing about streaming. You can absolutely do it and be successful, without a doubt. However, it's going to take some serious time, dedication, and creativity. Since there are an abundance of streamers, all pretty much identical, you have to set yourself apart from the crowd somehow in what you offer. Whether that's through gimmicks on your channel or simply your personality, it's very important that you are unique in some way. Additionally, it's important to note that the people making their living off streaming usually have nothing else distracting them in their life -- they've quit their jobs and finished school in order to become a full-time streamer. They stream all day. They eat on stream. They take bathroom breaks while still streaming, etc.

The most important factor is this -- have a regular schedule. You might only have 2-3 viewers for a few weeks, then maybe 10 for a month or two -- if you're lucky, out of those, a few will become regulars. You need to give these regulars something to expect and look forward to for your stream. Even if it's not set in stone, try to stream for 1-2 hours every other day, or something like that, at least. Post that in your channel info so people know when to expect you.

Make your channel pretty! While it's not an actual requirement to be successful, it always helps and gives people something nice to look at. It also reflects you as a person, and may come off more professionally to a viewer.
Never ask for/demand donations... instead, give people incentive or reason to donate...e.g. put on the screen somewhere very small "Donation Goal $0/$10 - reach goal for giveaway" or something like that. Again, not required, but gives people incentive.

Lastly, just try to be patient and not get discouraged. If you find yourself saying, "Why am I doing this? Nobody watches anyway," you'll get unmotivated and never get anywhere. Just persevere. Even if you're the best gamer in the world, people still need to find you and like you! You can do it. Good luck!

This all seems like good advice to me. Honestly, I think streaming games is one of those things that just isn't worth it - even if you're lucky and get 100 viewers, I think you'd be hard pressed to make even $5 from that? Even working at McDonalds will make you more money.