Strange Story...

GhostToast

Supp. Editor/Admin
Registered
ok. so as most of you might know, i am on dialup at home. it sucks. i will be moving in a couple of months and then i will be able to get cable. for those of you who are spoiled rotten and have never used dialup, it usually allows downloads of around 5.5-6 kilobytes transfer per second -- maximum (give or take a little).

well much to my surprise, a friend was sending me an 18 meg file and i hit download transfers of 16.X k/s. seriously. i watched in amazement the whole time, i couldnt believe my eyes.

i was so impressed, in fact, that i actually went to earthlink.net's website (my provider) to see if i could learn anything. not seeing any answers by browsing around (which, i might add, i was pretty surprised i could even DO so quickly considering my download) i decided to go the liveperson chat help thing. a few moments later i was chatting with what turned out to be a non-too-smart helper, methinks. the chat log is pasted below. i did not edit any of this, but i will put hard enters between lines for easier reading...

Chat InformationWelcome to Earthlink LiveChat. Your chat session will begin shortly.

Not at home and you want to read your email? With EarthLink Web Mail you can check your email from any computer with an internet connection!

Chat Information'Nelson J.' says: Thank you for contacting EarthLink LiveChat, how may I help you today?

ghosttoast@earthlink.net: Hello. I have used dialup for many years off and on, and have never experienced anything quite like I am today...

ghosttoast@earthlink.net: right now as i am speaking with you, i am also downloading a file at over 13 kilobytes per second. i am in total shock. has there been serious upgrades to earthlink lately? or am i going insane?

Nelson J.: Please hold on while I look at the issue.

Nelson J.: Thank you for being on hold.

Nelson J.: Please let me know the exact and complete issue you are having.

ghosttoast@earthlink.net: Well this is not a negative issue, of course. Usually, dialup users max out at 6 or so kilobytes per second, downloading...total.

ghosttoast@earthlink.net: I am just wondering if this is a one-time fluke, my lucky day, whatever...or if the way dialup has been serviced from your company has changed and I missed something.

Nelson J.: Please let me know if you are getting slow connection.

ghosttoast@earthlink.net: I am now. Did you call and have them slow me down?

Nelson J.: Could you be more specific if you don't mind regarding the issue you are having?

ghosttoast@earthlink.net: I was downloading at a very high rate for dialup - 16 kilobytes per second. 56k modems, while they say "56k" never actually transfer data at that rate. it was unusual. not in a negative way. now the high speed (which was a good thing) has ended. it was strange, out of the ordinary.

Nelson J.: Are you getting 56k speed on the computer?

ghosttoast@earthlink.net: sigh...i dont think you understand a thing i am saying. good bye.

he took quite some time between responses. but, like was hinted in the chat log, the speed did go down after the download and seems to be normal down. well, it was good while it lasted.

I work in a call center. Most of the people here are not much more than parrots. Some projects are restricted to reading from a script. Sounds like that one was in India. You can always, ALWAYS escalate the call to a tier 2, or higher. If you aren't getting the right answer (whether you like it or not), go higher.

tier 2 simply means a bird that is slightly smarter than a parrot. They tell the little parrots what to say, and are the people that can change policy or find out information that is typically not told or even looked into.

well it only would have lasted as long as i was dialed in, i'm sure. something like that wouldnt have gone unnoticed for long. its not like a signal is being sent where it shouldnt...precious, allowanced bandwidth was being sucked up like crack cocaine from a nostril the size of a pin hole.

"and now thanks to I tunes, I can listen to my favorite music while masterbating on the Internet, Wu Tang Clan ain't nothing to fuck with"

Oh how I miss my high speed internet! My radio station changed formats after Howard Stern left so instead of alternative it's talk radio! Broke my heart. The old format is on the internet (www.krock2.com) but my current connection is too slow to let me listen to it. I need a job just so I can have my music.

Yeah, i'm more fond of the satellite/internet radio now more than ever....The Hair Metal station on AOL Music is just what the doctor orders at all time!!