soundcard

GhostToast

Supp. Editor/Admin
Registered
time for an on-topic discussion.

i need a new sound card. my old one was a SB Live 5.1 or something, but it is not compatable with XP. i have some great cambridge speakers but sometimes they crackle a bit when i adjust the volume --- especially the subwoofer will if i touch the sub knob like at all. it all goes through this processor and the setup cost me a pretty penny back in the day.

so basically i'd like to keep the speakers and all that if i can, but just not sure if they are too good anymore...i hope that if i replace the soundcard and possibly the cable for the sub that it'll all be good.

anyway, the question is - what soundcard should i get? i'm at a place in my life where i cant afford top of the line. i just want something that will carry my 4 surround speakers + center and sub, and utilize EAX or whatever the more standard environmental sound effects software is these days. i want to use, you know, like 80% or so of a game's sound potential, cause honestly you wont notice the difference in the extra 20% when you factor in that it costyou an additional 60% in cost most of the time.

so. sound card. any tips?

When you start needing to buy a $600 graphics card, you'll be saying "damn, Spud was right, computer gaming is a meaningless flow of money to extra hardware that shouldn't need regular replacement." Assuming computer gaming even lasts that long, considering how it's on a downslide.

:computer::tombstone :wave:

My last video card cost me $100 and I sold the one it replaced for $20. It'll last me at least another two years, and I bought it a year ago. That's about the same lifespan as a console, and your PC can do a hell of a lot more.

But I think this discussion was already milked in another thread. Suffice to say that using a $600 graphics card to say that PC gaming is prohibitively expensive is not quite an honest argument.

I bought my Xbox a few years ago o_O

Ok then...You can get an Xbox 360 w/ HDD and a couple of controllers for 450. Or you can buy...

three quarters of a top-of-the-line gfx card. GO PC!!!

That was alrecat explained in the other thread, but in a nutshell: because you're going to have a computer anyway. So you only really have to consider the premium above the base price that having a gaming PC will cost you. $300-$400 is about the minimum you can get a PC for. It only costs another $350-$450 to get a seirous gaming machine. Thus, owning a gaming PC only really costs that premium.

It would be like me saying that you have to factor the cost of the TV in with a console. You're going to have a TV anyway, so you don't really consider that a cost.

So, GT, were any of those cards something that would work for you?

Again. $700. Two years later, another $50, $100, $150. Another couple years later, another $100, and that's only for a graphics card. That doesn't include poor GT's sound card, new speakers, maybe a higher res monitor, the list goes on...

Well, I'll make sure to comment on how displeased I was with MGS2 Substance. THERE WASN'T EVEN A NEW WEAPON FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!