Silliest reasons to get an Xbox One

sorrowscall

Great Hero Rosayln(Okage)
Registered
Nov 9, 2014
I'm not knocking the Xbox One, it's not really my place to, but I wanted to share a story the other day. I stopped by my ex-boss and her husband and wished their family a Merry Christmas since we're still on pretty good terms. When I asked their youngest son what he wanted, he said he wanted an Xbox One. When I asked the kid why, he said "because it's an Xbox". He couldn't find further reason than that, which was fine. It just got me thinking to the older people buying them for the same reason, and that got me thinking of the less than scientific reasons a person might buy one. If anyone wants to share their thoughts, please do.

I use to be a Sega nut huger back in the 1990s, So I know where this kid is coming from. I had fun with the system and it made me feel different from my friends who all had Nintendo. If Sega was releasing it, I was buying it. I had a master system, genesis, sega cd, saturn, and then finally a dreamcast. After that there were no other sega system to aqcuire. So yeah I bought sega just because of the brand. It's like how most handy men stick to a brand of power tools. It's a trusted brand that they are familiar with and trust because of time and experience.

Reactions: thatnewmommy
Hmm... That was my reasoning too for going with Xbox One when we upgraded... "BECAUSE ITS AN XBOX!"

I think that's pretty much the case with any of the console choices nowadays since all of them share the same library of games. In the past you'd have a much more credible reason on why you would pick a console, presumably because of the games it comes with, but now I think you are just better off getting what your friends get so you could play online with them.

When it comes down to it, I am just more comfortable with the controller and the franchises. Halo is my favorite console FPS and I don't have any reason to switch. When it comes down to price, both Xbox and Playstation are pretty much the same.

Brand loyalty has always been silly to me and I have a friend who got an Xbox One on release for the same reason. No exclusives on the way that grabbed him in the immediate future or release, no hands on using the controller, nothing really more then "it's Xbox, so it's going to be great."

Right now it feels like you get a WiiU if you want Nintendo exclusives, (which they seem to have more exclusives then any other console right now ironically) PS4 for its indie arcade on PSN or an Xbox One if you're in it for Halo since the beta for 5 is coming soon and the collection just came out. Other then that, the two competing consoles feel like they don't have enough to really differentiate one from the other and the WiiU feels separate all together.

With the whole meme picture from 50 shades of Grey (the one where the girl asks if the dude's play room has xboxes in it), I'm sure their sales will rise from girls buying xboxes for their boyfriends/husbands/brothers

With the whole meme picture from 50 shades of Grey (the one where the girl asks if the dude's play room has xboxes in it), I'm sure their sales will rise from girls buying xboxes for their boyfriends/husbands/brothers

Haha, I can definitely see that happening too. It was such an obvious ad, it felt very unnatural. If the movie was true to reality, she would have said "do you have a nintendo in there?".

Well a brand name can hold quite a lot of power. If all the cool kids have an xbox than of course you are going to want one.

I use to be a Sega nut huger back in the 1990s, So I know where this kid is coming from. I had fun with the system and it made me feel different from my friends who all had Nintendo. If Sega was releasing it, I was buying it. I had a master system, genesis, sega cd, saturn, and then finally a dreamcast. After that there were no other sega system to aqcuire. So yeah I bought sega just because of the brand. It's like how most handy men stick to a brand of power tools. It's a trusted brand that they are familiar with and trust because of time and experience.

I can understand this. EVERYONE around us has Iphones. OMG it's ridiculous. And it's sucha big deal when a new one comes out. So when I'm asked 'oh...you don't have an iphone? how come?' I sing out "if everybody's doing it then why the he77 should I?" LOLOL

I know why the kid answers like that, but sometimes this is true for adults (see iphone story) which is ridiculous to me. "Just because" isn't really a reason. Personally, I prefer the games from the Xbox. truthfully my first Xbox was a Halo translucent green edition. I wanted a gaming console, it was green, it did what I wanted (yes...a silly reason: it was green). BUT, it's what made it different from the rest. After that, we've owned a 360, then a PS3, a Xbox with Kinect...and that's it. We sold the PS3 because we weren't playing it as much. We bought the Kinect because of the Dance Central games (I love dancing).

My partner is saving up Amazon gift cards he wins for an Xbox One (he hasn't admitted it, but I'm no fool). We have had discussions about this because when I ask him why, he tried to sell it to me with the reason "it plays BluRays". I have TWO BluRay movies. TWO. Not a good enough reason for me. LOL

Brand loyalty seems to be a HUGE reason for people purchasing certain consoles. I have the exact opposite reaction. Why don't I care for the Xbox One? Because it's an Xbox. Well, it's not that simple. I don't care for the camera, I don't care for the controller, & I rarely care for the way they deal with connecting online.

Yeah, with little kids, it doesn't really matter what games are on the platform, it's more about which console their friends have. It's why I got an Xbox when I wasn't old enough to tell you the difference between the Xbox and PS2.

Personally, one of the biggest differences between PS4 and Xbox One is that I love achievements, and I think Gamerscore represents the idea better than trophies.

Yeah, with little kids, it doesn't really matter what games are on the platform, it's more about which console their friends have. It's why I got an Xbox when I wasn't old enough to tell you the difference between the Xbox and PS2.

Personally, one of the biggest differences between PS4 and Xbox One is that I love achievements, and I think Gamerscore represents the idea better than trophies.

I think also Sony doesn't care about its customers as much. I've heard horror stories about Sony basically screwing people over for a quick buck when they could've easily fixed the issues.

It is amazing how many people make purchases based solely on brand preference. This is very prevalent out side of video games as well.

This is no surprise because a lot of these technological items are bought because of feeling the need to belong and because it is trendy. When people line up for hours before the release of a new phone or game, they do it because they think having the gadget will make them cool among their peers.

Reactions: thatnewmommy

Achievements for me at first where silly. I think it was basically because I didnt want a new console. LOL

I kept asking, what can I redeem with my points? LOL

Then once I started playing I thought, ok...whatever. But THEN, I got into the Dance Central games and it became a matter of beating the challenge and hearing that pa-plin of unlocking the achievement. SO, now I like achievements.

Kids will get whatever their friends get without thinking beyond the object/brand itself. Older people will often compare features and make decisions based on that. I avoid Xbox like the living plague because of my personal experiences with it since its release. I'm sure it's a nice product for many, but it's not the product for me. I like Microsoft's keyboards, mice and the Zune but to me the Xbox is too much of a hassle.

I have not got the Xbox one system yet and untried asked myself why. Over and over again I continuously look at my shelf and I see the Xbox 360 and I think why am I not upgrading. I should've upgraded a long time ago I really enjoyed the Xbox when I played it in Best Buy.