Silent Hill 0rigins

the_roach

Narrative Cosmotect
Registered
Oct 6, 2005
The Great Valley
I guess this is the official Silent Hill Origins topic. I'll update the thread with new info as I get it.

To refresh, Origins was announced at E3, obviously for the PSP. Check out fact sheet for some initial info:

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/adventure/silenthillorigins/news.html?sid=6149938

For Silent Hill fans, the first thing you should notice is that Team Silent isn't listed as the developer of this game. Instead, it's Climax listed as the developer. Team Silent has been the creative force behind all previous Silent Hill incarnations. It's not known at the moment exactly what creative role Climax is playing in the development of Origins, like if they're only doing programming, if they're involved in the artistic aspects, or to what extent is Team Silent's role in the production of the game. Akira Yamaoka, member of Team Silent and the series' Sound guru, will be composing the soundtrack at the least.

Any thoughts on this? For me personally, I don't really like the idea that much if Team Silent doesn't have a heavy influence on the project. Even then, it's coming to a handheld system, one I don't have, so that's natural for me to be a littled irked. :/ Mostly though, I can't imagine the Silent Hill series taking advantage of a handheld system in some unique way to make it something special, something warranted. So, motivations: what are they? I suppose the SH series has sold decently well over the years, so maybe Konami's trying to milk the franchise a little, but that can't be the only reason. Rumors have it that Team Silent are at work on either Silent Hill 5 for next-gen or they're doing a remake of Silent Hill 1 that has Rose from the movie as the protagonist instead of Harry (and that's a whole 'nother issue). If so, they would be too busy. Why then would Konami want to hurry up and make a prequel to the whole series then without their flagship dev team? It might be because the project Team Silent is working on will be enhanced by what is established in Origins (unlikely), or Team Silent didn't want to do one of the PSP (and probably for a good reason creatively speaking). In any case, the fact still stands: looks like we're getting a PSP Silent Hill game.

I'm all for Silent Hill, and I have faith that Team Silent will have a healthy level of involvement, so I am definitely not going to write the game off until I play it. Any comments and/or news is welcome.

Last edited: