Shadow of the Colussus

SquallSnake7

Editor in Chief
Jun 23, 2005
IL
I just beat this game and was pretty pleased. i liked how it kinda leads up to the events of Ico. i only played like the first half of Ico, but now i want to replay it and finish it this time. the last 2 bosses were by far the best.

I for one did not care for the repeditiveness of the game, every time you beat one, its the same animation (pretty much) over and over again... and how the heck did he go from out in the wilderness to *poof* back in the temple?! Just found that to be far to distracting (though by far the prettiest game I've seen in a long while).
~Dragon

Personally I thought this was a really potent game, and it deviated from the traditional path that's been set-up by so many other video games.

Of course it borrowed elements that are traditional to other games (noble steed? check. girlfriend to save? check. mysterious magical sword? check), but overall I think it actually made those predictable elements work.

And maybe it's because I'm a girl, but the end really affected me emotionally, really powerful, which you don't get very often during videogames I think. They were minimalistic with characters and didn't try to distract you with stupid little side quests to improve your weapon (though that fruit gathering/lizard killing thing was a pain!).

7.8 is too low of a score for this game, I would have given it a far higher rating.

(And replaying it in hardmode? Hellahard!)

I just picked SotC yesterday. I've only played long enough to slay the first Colossus. Man, that was FUN!

I've never played a game like this before! I hope there's more to it than just killing giants, though. I hope there are other objectives and enemies along the way. (I expect there are other enemies, since the bow seems fairly useless as far as the colossi are concerned).

Please tell me what I can look forward to (without any spoilers please!)

the only enemies you fight are the colossi. there are no other enemies. however, it is entertaining traveling from colossus to colossus as the environments are very well made. oh yeah... and keep your eye out for White Tailed Lizards that run around near save points. if you kill and eat them, you increase your total health bar... but try to shoot these lizards in the tail... not the body. if you shoot it in the tail, it will just lose its tail. it wont die then and you might be able to come back later and do the same thing.

Oh the colossi take a lot more than just stabbing and climbing. You have to trick them and such. And the bow, later on, does play an integral part. (Check out trees around you for things to shoot at, for example).

I dunno, there's really nothing to it, other than killing the colossi, except having fun riding the horse (and I sure did!)

Just keep on trucking at it!

Recently, God of War and Shadow of the Colossus were leading the pack for most nominations for this year's GDCA (Game Developers Choice Awards). Shadow got 5, and God got 7. I tried out God of War recently and I must say that Shadow is definitely the more important game. I feel like I've played the crap of God of War when in reality I've only played it for about an hour! Time to journalize I believe.

They're kinda hard for me to compare. They're both action/adventure I would think, but they just go about it in such different ways. I guess my deciding factor would be, which one made the bigger impact on me, which one will I remember longer. I'd have to go with SotC in those two categories.

'Colussus' is such a unique experience and so well executed that it will be difficult for any developers to truly match it. It is a bit of a let down when you realize that fighting these giants is the only thing you do for the entire game, but after finishing it, did it really need anything else? Going back to visit the ruins is cool, and though I am usually not too keen on time challenges, I found myself trying to best my time over and over again. By the way, to those who have not played it, or played it briefly. There are 16 Colussi, and though holding on and stabbing is integral and unavoidable, each giant has a weakness and finding a way to exploit it is the best part. Not to the mention the outstanding backdrop of the game and the wonderfully crafted atmosphere. Enjoy

S.o.c.

Yeah I think Shadow of the Collossus is probably one of the best games for PS2 that is out right now....im stuck on the one collossus that you find in the colloseum-looking building

If anyone who's beaten it let me know any tips it would be appreciated.

I have so many games to play through currently that it will be a long time before I think about getting this one. However, I have been very intrigued by the game (especiall y the artistic world design) and if it ever gets down to $20 I will probably pick it up.

actualy i loved playing shadow of the colosuss stoned lol... took me 8 hours to beat the game and i swear the second time around on hard took me 8 hours as well... i was really hoping i would cut down on the time.. but the difficulty of taking down the tirants drag the battles on for hours..