R.I.P Gamecube?

I don't think so considering there are all kinds of new games and peripherals on the way for the system plus sales jumped with the price drop as well as when they released the Metroid prime 2 demo and the Legend of zelda collectors series. I don't Nintendo will go out like Dreamcast but then again anything is possible

It's already done better. The Dreamcast, before a mere 2 year cycle, was already defeated.

The funny thing is, the dreamcast was more publicized, and both systems tried the same ideas to generate sales. I suppose this shows that gameplay really does define a system.

The gamecube has been like that. Walking through the GC section at Blockbuster will bring a man to tears.

But Nintendo, unlike Sega, will be able to recover with a really cool Nintendo DS that I swear I will buy because its just cool.

I don't think the GC will go the way of the DC because the DC was actually WORTH owning :) (Have I ever mentioned, that I havent liked Nintendo's consoles since the 8-Bit era and even then I eventually switched to the Sega Master System). Nintendo needs to get their heads out of their collective asses and go online or else Microsoft and Sony will put them in Sega's place: A great has-been.

I agree that Nintendo will need to eventually go online...but not yet. Mabe when their next console comes out. Nintendo problem was at their release of the GC they did not release mature games. Although they are releasing more mature like games, that stigma is going to stay with them until they have some gta-ish game that is going to cause conterversy. Lets face it Violence sells video games more than sex. And Nintendo has not been selling as much as they could cause people think its too kiddy. But alas I have a feeling that nintendo will keep their intregraty and not cross that line. Actually now that I think about that, its giving me a bigger respect for Nintendo

In terms of the online idea, what Nintendo wanted to do was to seperate themselves from the other consoles by doing something different. Unfortunately, it's only worked against them, as it does seem that online play is the wave of the future.

It's sad, really. Sega has pioneered so many ideas, but no one gives them any respect or acknowledgment.

funny nobody mentioned the lame 3rd party support. Nintendo's first party games are among the best of the other first party lineup, I know I'm going to piss people off for this one, but I'll take Metroid prime over Halo any day.

That's what I meant when I said gameplay does define a system. As far as third party Support, the Gamecube is very weak compared to the other systems. It's the First party items that's keeping the GC alive.

As far as single player goes for metroid vs Halo, I agree. Metroid was a much more complete single player experience.

Well supposedly the Revolution, Nintendo's next system is going to bring community together but they state that wont be online so what will that be than? I'll have to agree that Nintendo has the best first party games and thats what generate them sales.

Well If nintendo does not go online. They need to offer way more games that you are able to lan on and have big multiplayer experiences, like halo. Plus they are going to have to make their games that much better.

nah

Nah, the GCN is on its way back up. Nintendo was put in the hole early because of the rise of Xbox and the dominance of PS2. Now, however, the $99.99 w/ game GCN is a great deal, and I'm betting they'll sell a lot this Christmas season. Plus, they have gotten some really big companies on their side, with Konami, Capcom and their reuniting with Square. Also, they've done a great job of shedding their "kiddy" look by getting games like Soul Calibur 2, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, Twin Snakes and making Metroid Prime, and a newer, cooler Zelda (yes, I am one of the anti-cell shading people). So, I'm expecting nintendo to make major strides soon financially. The lack of online capabilities REALLY doesn't hurt it, I mean, would Mario Party be as fun online? I personally enjoy sitting there with friends and family. If ANY of the consoles is dropping down, it's the Xbox. I love my Xbox, and I love KotOR, Morrowind and the like, but with only Halo 2, Sudeki and Fable as their entire Christmas lineup, I don't think it'll match up against GCN's Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 2, Baten Kaitos, Mario Tennis, Goldeneye Rogue Agent and more, I think Nintendo has the edge this Christmas.

I expect to jump on-board the GC wagon about the same time I did with the Dreamcast - when it's a $50 console and all the best titles are super-cheap. Then again, I'm a patient gamer, by and large. I think the biggest thing Sega DIDN'T do was make a new, bad-ass 2D Sonic title. Yes, I said 2D. They could still use 3D parallax and polygonal graphics, but just having a flat world where you can truly move at hyper-speed without worry is what put Sonic on the map, not collecting crap and raising critters.

First Sega gets out of hardware, then they merge with Sammy...I have a feeling they'll be out for good if they don't get in touch with what made them hot in the first place.

I'm old school, I still have my nes and snes, and I can't help but remember the greatness that Nintendo once was, they need to make sure that they also get different game genres on their systems. If I'm not mistaken the n64 only had about 3 Rpgs. Which was a reason Sony has had and continues to have such a following. If I remember correctly the snes had such a different variety of game genres which Nintendo didn't follow up on with their other systems. Which to me is and continues to be one of their biggest mistakes.

RPGs don't really matter when it comes to money, which is what sega quit because of. There are far more american gamers than japanese gamers, and most american gamers are the kind who only own GTA and madden 2001-2005 and MAYBE max payne.