PS3 Launch May be Half as Big

Grantastic85

Registered
Apr 26, 2006
Eagan
PS3 Launch May be Half as Big
Sep 1, 2006 @ 8:26pm

Summary:
As the clock ticks down to November 17th, Sony faces another key problem concerning the PlayStation 3's launch: supply.

The PS3: Half a launch?

Tech site DigiTimes passes along word that Sony's PS3 launch numbers may only end up being half as big as they had promised they'd be.

Rather than hitting their 4 million unit shipment for 2006 -- a figure the company quoted just days ago -- the DigiTimes article cites unnamed "sources in Taiwan's game console manufacturing industry" as saying that the console may only reach 2 million in 2006; one million in November and one million in December.

The reason? A shortage of blue laser diodes, for one, as well as the fact that widescale manufacturing of the PS3 is still in the preparation stage.

Interesting. But 2 million is still an acceptable supply. The PS2 only had 500k, and the 360 only had 400k.

but do to christmas time, i read that microsoft will be dropping prices, so there will be more sold

i agree that 2 million is acceptable. not everyone is as excited as me about the release and willing to throw out the 600 bux the 60 gig hd. just cause i want the best. but anyway if they dont reach the anticipated 4 mill then they just have a bit of a catch up to do. but as stated above its more then the 360 or ps2 so it still a really good number. but microsoft lowering price for 360.... we all do wish but it aint happening. i just want halo 3 lol.

another thing this may do is create a false demand. it's an old marketing trick. Make it to where there's a frenzy for the few that are out there and the news media will do your advertising for you.

PROBLEM with the 2 million guys. Thats 2 Mill for the world. So average that out between Europe, North America, and Japan. Not only that but a few other countries that will get the PS3 in November. So 2 Million yea not bad in sales but region it's gonna suck for us all *tears*. O well we can only wait and see.

Yeah. They'll probably send a million here and a half million elsewhere. It's still many times better than the rest.

Yeah, they missed Japan's big buying season and everyone knows Christmas has been debased down to buying crap for each other in exhorbitant amounts. The US will get the lion's share, but I don't know about a solid million. Will America Jr. be getting any?

Also, the European launch is being pushed back by 4 months. Granted, that market comes in third place, but still cuts deep.

Last edited:
Another random fact that may forecast bad weather (hurricanes count as bad weather right?) is that each one costs $800 to make right now (look it up at Merryl Lynch or other financial sites). Also the difficulties cropping up concerning the Blu-ray diodes may increase production costs due to the manufacturers not being able to produce fast enough. They will have to increase production, which increases production costs.

Makes since Joans. Now you know what comes after problems like that.
Production must speed up to produce the product to be able to make the money back. But Fast production means defects due to slopy manufacturing. Not only that but the lil diodes will more than likly not be weel mad becase.....thats right slopy production.

Now that the production is slpoy to mass produce so fast, you then have defective systems out, which now means you must replace all those systems for ppl who bought one at the start. And now that pushes back production because the system you mabe for John to buy must go to paul becasue he already had one. MAn that sucks. not to toot any honrs but so far only Nintendo has the least of defective systems. MS had a small amount of 360's but they didn't have many 360's out to begin with. Lets hope Sony can right there wrongs, and we wont see 4 versions of the PS3.

um, the name's Jonas. not Joans.......Princess.

JK, the other option to rushed production and the risk of subsequent shoddy work is they would open or rent another facility to produce them. They probably already have plans in the works for such a place since they do anticipate the demand for more PS3's and Blu-Ray players and drives. The cost of that would really hammer Sony in the nards. They would either have to raise the price of the product or just bend over and take it.

Actually, between America Japan, all three consoles have had two or three different versions of the consoles. In Japan, there is an Xbox is smaller and lighter (about the size of a PS2) but lacks the harddrive. There was the fabled PSX (a PS2 that had a DVD burner, a massive hard drive and some kinda TiVo thing) and the slimline. And there was a bigger Cube that could play DVDs. Most of these never saw an American release.

Well what i was refering to was the PS2 versions that came out. Remember the first update to play blue disc gams and the non-blue disc. Then there was my Fav. The same system updated but now it was able to use the DVD remote with out that stupid thing. You could now turn the SP2 off and on , open and close. And now the the slim one. 4 different virsons of the PS2 but they all really did nothing. One thing I can say each time that system came out Sony dropped the price on the system......................makes you wonder now.

And Jonas I thought you would not catch that but I see you did lol.

I had heard a rumor that they would release what they could now and then either release a better version or a seperate periphreal item. Unfortunately for PS users, Sony doesn't have a very strong online service so they don't really have the luxury of having the backwards compatibility updates Microsoft has released on XBL. I hated having to do it, but it was nice to be able to.

Uhh....the thing is Sony has the intellectual rights to everything in the PS2. Microsoft didn't have the rights to the graphics card in the Xbox. Sony won't NEED to do backwards compatibility updates because they can just run everything off it. In fact, the PS3 is going to be backwards compatible with the PS1 and PS2 games.

I'd say its Ok it is still acceptable besides Close to Christmas time(like November) is a great idea.

Last edited:
Still how about the now 400K for the American launch window. I'm not counting second shipment. So break that down between the US (and mini US) On Nov 17. I would love to say 500K But the rich and famous either has their systems now or already have the rights to first dibs. Well this greatest part of this launch will be seing eBay prices the foloowing weeks.

Last edited: