Prices

jesolis

Registered
Oct 19, 2015
Hello my fellow gamers. I wanted to ask you a question about prices. Would you say that PC games are more or less expensive than console games. I am new to PC gaming so I would appreciate your insight. Thanks!

I feel like they tend to be about $10 to $15 more expensive than console games.

PC games are usually less expensive than console games. What probably makes PC gaming more expensive than console gaming is the fact that you have to upgrade the PC every couple of years, to be able to play on maximum video settings.

Usually cheaper, but not always. Seems to depend on the game. I don't know the exact reason for this, but it certainly helps that you can usually get PC games from discounted services like Steam and Humble Bundle. I've found that PC versions often come out a bit later than console versions, so that might factor into it as well.

If they're AAA games the prices are generally the same for PC and console, however Steam sales often makes them cheaper by a wide margin. For indie games and whatnot, definitely cheaper on PC thanks to Steam and Humble Bundle. Not only that but PC games also add longevity for best bang for buck thanks to online communities modding the daylights out of PC games. Can't do that on consoles.

Usually cheaper, but not always. Seems to depend on the game. I don't know the exact reason for this, but it certainly helps that you can usually get PC games from discounted services like Steam and Humble Bundle. I've found that PC versions often come out a bit later than console versions, so that might factor into it as well.

You are right! Some video game titles do come out later for PC, and that's probably why they are a bit cheaper. But usually any game that comes out for both PC and console at the same time will be cheaper for PC.
Console makers like Microsoft and Sony don't really make any money from selling consoles. Sometimes they even lose money, trying to keep the prices low. They do make money through partnerships with video game makers, and that's why console owners pay a bit more for a game than PC owners.

While I'm more of a console gamer than PC, I look at the comparative prices and in general the PC games do tend to be slightly cheaper than the console versions these days.

Having said that, the price of console games these days does seem to be at a premium and hopefully soon they might be a relative amount.

I'd always heard about the Humble Bundle but only just recently purchased my first one... And it's AWESOME. I can't believe how many games I got for the very modest sum of $9 USD! I think I may dip into this Humble Bundle a lot more often now! :D

They are way cheaper than console games. In the UK most big titles like Call of Duty cost around £40-£50, not to mention all the DLC which will probably cost around another £40 if you want it. On PC my favourite games (DayZ, Minecraft and CSGO) all cost under £20. That's almost half the price. One of the reasons I went to PC was because of the cheaper games.

I tend to find that they're cheaper than console games. It might just depend on where you live and the demand where you're at. Some places are more expensive, but where I'm at, they're cheaper.

PC Games are usually a lot cheaper than console games. It also really depends on the game you are buying and the store of where you're purchasing it from. Now I have seen some really new PC game that are sometimes more expensive than some console games, but that's really rare that I see anything like that. Just search around your local shops and find the price that's best for you. Hope this helps you out. Have a good night!

In my own experience it varies on a game to game basis. For some games, it is definitely cheaper to buy PC versions, whereas at other times, especially during holiday sales, their console counterparts can be cheaper. Triple A titles are generally very similarly priced upon release. Fallout 4 is $59.99 to pre-order at Steam - the same price as console releases, however, Best Buy offers a $10 reward for pre-ordering.

The discounts offered on the PC games are also usually a lot more than with console games aswell for some reason, I've found.

Either way, PC gaming does work out cheaper, but is this the main reason people aren't switching from PC to console, or is there other reasons also?

If you are buying your games through places like Best Buy, Gamestop, etc... you are going to be paying at least equal if not more, but those just aren't the places you want to buy from. Make sure you shop on the steam platform, G2A, Kinguin, GOG, Green Man Gaming, or any other discount site. You can often get massive discounts on awesome games. 6 months after release I picked up Skyrim for like 8 bucks off of Steam, it was sweet.