Playstation plus...

pwarbi

Registered
Mar 9, 2015
UK
When I traded in my trusty ps3 system for a shiny new PlayStation 4, being the researcher (or geek) that I am, I was well aware that to take part in online gaming, you had to have a PlayStation plus membership, unlike on the ps3 where you could play online without.
I've spoken to quite a few people now, and they seem to be unaware of this and have been quite surprised when they've been told they can only play online by subscription to the service.
Is this something that Sony have deliberately chosen not to mention or is it that people just haven't looked into their purchase properly?

I think Sony was pretty upfront about it. We knew months ahead of time and PS4s even came with trials to ease people into it. Plus a large percentage of PS3 owners already had PS+..

PS Plus is a good service in my opinion. I do not like how you have to pay so much for it though, should be cheaper.

Nah, Sony didn't try to hide that. The people are just obviously out of the loop completely, which is... sad. Shows how people will just buy whatever they see without knowing anything about it.

I think the problem might have been that PlayStation plus was available on the ps3 but you didn't need it to play online. People may have just assumed it was an option as well on the ps4?
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of PlayStation plus and I think buying the 12 month subscription is very good value for money.

Sony was open about the new subscription model required for online multiplayer. Of course, some players may have missed the memo and believed that the PS4 would have the same free online model as the PS3 (I was one of them myself), so it wouldn't surprise me that PS fans wouldn't know about the Playstation Plus requirement.

Personally, I had wished they would've continued offering free online play as they had with the PS3. Online services without a subscription fee was one of the PlayStation's calling cards, and made it a more beneficial choice to the Xbox.

I'm not surprised some people aren't aware it's required to play online on the PS4. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned at launch that it was required, so if you payed attention, it wasn't surprising. PS Plus has been worth it for me though. It's not very expensive and some of the free games have been awesome, like Rocket League and Super Meat Boy.

The so called free games you get every month, I have to say I'm slightly disappointed with, unlike you. While I'm not expecting top of the range, New titles, I'd at least expect ones that I've actually heard of, and not some obscure, Japanese anime RPG, remake of a PS2 game.

Or am I maybe being a bit harsh on Sony? Like I said before, the PlayStation+ membership is good value for money in my opinion, I just wish the extras we get free were a little better.

Your friends may have just missed it I guess because it was well known that people would have to pay for playing online with the PlayStation 4. Unfortunately for us, there was very little we could have done about it because even Xbox charge for online gaming so it's not like we could have switched to another console. I'm not a fan of it at all really because the games that they give out are absolute crap most of the time and not at all worth the price I pay for PSN. And then they had the audacity to increase prices for people in the UK, Europe and Australia without doing anything better

It's clearly mentioned that you need PSPlus to play online on the PS4. Even I, a non-PS4 owner, do know that. Although it's probably one of the main reasons for me not to upgrade from my PS3 at all, despite not really playing online on it either. Maybe it's just being so used to free PC gaming that I just see it as insane practice to pay for the mere access like that, especially how limited it otherwise is, and how I'll need to pay for my internet access on top of it!

Yes you need to have a PlayStation plus account and also need to be on a subscription plan to have access to play online Games.