Pharoah

GamerMonkey

Registered
Nov 8, 2014
The hours I sunk into that game...

For anybody unfamiliar, Pharoah is a spiritual sequel to Caesar 3 - same game-play style but set in ancient Egypt rather than the Roman empire. You have to build a city by placing houses, shops, wells, etc making sure you generate enough food and other goods, appease the gods, guard against plague and the threat of foreign armies. Oh, and building a couple of tiny monuments once in a while.

The whole thing is *so* addictive. A lot of the levels end up with you needed to crank the play speed to maximum and sitting back while your workers dash about the screen finishing off that massive pyramid, but I still loved it. I also enjoy watching my disk defragment.

It's available from GOG.com for the curious and uninitiated.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I ever bought the game, but I remember playing it a long time ago... it was probably the demo I played. Anyway, what I played of it I enjoyed a lot! City building games are great fun, and there aren't enough of those out there these days.

I might pick it up on GOG sometime... once it's on sale. Looking for an Anno deal, as well.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I ever bought the game, but I remember playing it a long time ago... it was probably the demo I played. Anyway, what I played of it I enjoyed a lot! City building games are great fun, and there aren't enough of those out there these days.

I might pick it up on GOG sometime... once it's on sale. Looking for an Anno deal, as well.

It's been included in GOG's sales more than once in the past, so keep looking! I think it goes for about $3ish.

Emperor is another game from the same people (same deal, Ancient China) which is very good. There's also Poseidon (same deal, Ancient Greece) but I'm not such a fan of that - it doesn't have the same big monument building tasks.