PC Version Vs. Console Version for older games.

sorrowscall

Great Hero Rosayln(Okage)
Registered
Nov 9, 2014
There are PC games that are rather old. For instance, the original Diablo; which can only be played by one person on the PC. These games are PC versions or vice verse for Console versions. For instance, Diablo for the Playstation; which two people could play at once. What are your opinions on the older games for interchangeable platforming such as this?

I think it depends on the age of the game and which platform it was initially developed for, as well as which one it plays best on. Using your example, I'd stick with the PC version as I feel like the game works best with a keyboard and mouse.

However, for a game like Final Fantasy VII... It was initially developed for the Playstation, but there are certain benefits to buying the PC version. You can add mods to make the graphics better, change certain aspects of the game, that sort of thing.

So basically, I examine it on a game by game basis and pick what feels best for me.

There are definitely some games that just play better on the PC, anything that involves clicking or heavy menu usages is better suited for PC play. I think this is the biggest reason why sports management and simulation games haven't transitioned well to consoles.

Some games work better for a controller (typically the console experience, even though controllers are available for PC) and then some more complex types of games don't work well on consoles. I don't care about graphics as much because a game can look incredible on both platforms. I'm not picky, really.

Given that on PC, even if there's an inferior version of the game, you can just emulate the console version, I think that PC takes the prize as the best platform for older games (and for current games too, of course).

Given that on PC, even if there's an inferior version of the game, you can just emulate the console version, I think that PC takes the prize as the best platform for older games (and for current games too, of course).

There are many older games that are better on PC because they have PC only extras and mods that the console versions do not. Of course it all depends on if you want to use a mouse and keyboard or a controller.

PC has the best life for games in general. Emulators can play older games and PC release games have super long shelf lives because of the modding community that adds things like graphics mods, ect and add additional levels and more. I know people who are still playing Doom and even Counterstrike still has a strong following despite being quite old.

Reactions: dillinger10
PC has the best life for games in general. Emulators can play older games and PC release games have super long shelf lives because of the modding community that adds things like graphics mods, ect and add additional levels and more. I know people who are still playing Doom and even Counterstrike still has a strong following despite being quite old.
That is an excellent point re: modding. This really helps to prolong the shelf life for many games and makes older games still relevant today. Grantland recently wrote an article about the stronger than ever modding community for MVP Baseball 2005. It's pretty amazing that 10 years later, this game is still going strong on the PC.