Oblivion

Getting the Allies really helps when the battle for the gates starts. Not that you'll need it to save your bacon, but they are needed to defend the emperor. Different environments, critters, or even the same critters with different spells would be interesting. The gates just get monotonous. A tip: unless you want tons of daedric hammers and claymores, get the boots of Springheel Jack, the Cowl of Nocturnal, and some potions. Then blitz through the gate towers. In fact, I was able to skip my way past several parts of the Bruma Great Gate simply because I could jump the lava. Yeah, it's kind of cheating, but I just want to have done with those blasted gates.

1) So Martin is able to die in that quest?
2) Where do you get those things?
3) What level was your acrobatics when you jumped the lava, cuz mine is like 60...

1) one of your requirements before entering the gate is that Martin must live.
2) the items are rewards from the thieve's guild (you must complete all quests to get the cowl), but it's worth it.
3) My acrobatics might not even be as high as yours, but with the boots and an amulet of acrobatics (randomly discovered on a mission), I can nearly fly.

I completed the main quest last night. The last part was tough due to the fact that Daedra kept pouring in (roughly 8 at all times). I would kill one and something else would take its place. My advice is to have total immunity from fire and shock. Then run like a little girl and take them apart one at a time. Poison your weapons and periodically lay down some serious spells (I've got one that does 95 shock damage to everything within 10 feet on touch). The end game movie is cool and worth the fight.

Now I can concentrate on the myriad of other quests. The mages guild is my first target.

Cool. I guess I have a while to get there. I'm going to finish the thieves guild before I continue with the main quest.
BTW, do you know where I can find Invisibility spells or scrolls?

I found that sneaking was the best method. Some of those quests require you to be unseen and as soon as you do something while invisible you turn visible.