Notebook upgrades

Maverick

I'm A Pimp, Bitch
Registered
Jul 10, 2005
The Steel City
www.myspace.com
Is there a trusted national chain computer store that does notebook upgrades, or is it best to find a local store? I'd like to know about a good place for when I would need to upgrade the processor in a Dell Inspiron 9300 (Intel Pentium M Processor 750 to an Intel Pentium M Processor 770 or 780).

Mostly it is best to find someone local who has a good reputation. Be sure to test him with some specific questions first, though. I work with uber-geeks, but I would only trust 2 of them to build or modify my computer. The few chains (Best Buy stores will sometimes have someone) are unpredictable. One store may have a genius and another may have a chimp with a rubber hammer. I had some good luck a few years ago, but when I moved, the guy at the closest Best Buy got that glazed "I don't know what you just asked me, but I need to pretend so I look smart" look.

It's not always cost effective to upgrade notebook/laptop computers. It's difficult to do yourself so you're paying for labor, plus the components are more expensive than for laptops.

What you should do is find a reputable place that can do it and find out how much it will cost (parts + labor). Then find out roughly how much you could get for your current system if you were to sell it, add the cost of the upgrade to that, and see what kind of notebook that would buy you. Often, it will buy you a better system than if you just upgraded.

Or you can just get a 360, which you have, and have a more powerful system you won't have to upgrade next year, and you save an extra hundred bucks. Not to mention the not having to worry about hard drive space.

spudlyff8fan said:
Or you can just get a 360, which you have, and have a more powerful system you won't have to upgrade next year, and you save an extra hundred bucks. Not to mention the not having to worry about hard drive space.

Dude, no offence, but do you have ANY other line? Not everyone wants a set-top that can't do anything but play games. Send in a post to this forum from your 360 and I'll BEGIN to be impressed with its connectivity. He's asking about upgrading a LAPTOP in this thread so quit hijacking, mmmkay?

ON TOPIC, I'd suggest going local- check the yellow pages then run those names part the Better Buisiness Beureau and see if they have a good rating. A good local place will probably be able to show you the best way to upgrade it. Laptops, as was mentioned, don't have the upgrade flexibility of a desktop, but try playing Guild Wars in a coffee shop or airport on a desktop! :merry:

spudlyff8fan said:

What if he wants to play PC games that aren't available on the 360 (and never will be)? Your suggestion sucks. ImagoX's suggestions above are good advice on this topic.