Neo Geo

Stan

myGamer Slave
Staff member
Registered
Jun 22, 2005
www.mygamer.com
I remember when the Neo Geo first came out. Baseball Stars, Magician Lord!!! OMFG!! Compared to my Snes this was 10000% better. I had to own it. $600 price tag though?!?! BLAH!!! Who cares that I was poor!! I must own this piece of high tech machinery. So I had to stoop to an all time low. I told a fat girl, Id date her if she bought it for me.

1 kiss is all it took!!!

I owned the Gold edition Neo Geo!!!

Call me a whore, see if I care

Neo Geo wasn't really a console man. But anything that has Garou: Mark of the Wolves is automatically awesome in my book.

Not a console? It sure was.. it hooked up to the TV, had joysticks.. THe only thing that made it different from the SNES or Genesis was its $699 pricetag

It was actually an arcade board. SNK had their Neo Geo arcade board, used in arcade cabinets. The Neo Geo was the first arcade board to use interchangable cartridges. Because of this, there were some home versions made. However, even the home versions were really intended for commercial use, which is why the console cost 700. Not to mention the limited quantities of the games (once again, because they were intended to be in arcades) made them cost 100-300 bucks each.

You also have to remember that there were home versions for lots of the arcade boards. Lots of fighting tournies use modded CPS boards for SF and MvC2.

Oh, you and your technicalities. I'm jealous for the chance to play Samurai Showdown 2, or Shock Troopers, or original format Metal Slug. Ah, that's a fine machine, that Neo Geo. It warms my heart to see antiquated technology still under so much use that the joysticks get broken by excited geeks on a regular basis.

Im quite confused. I truly believe that because it was sold in stores as a Home Gaming system. (I picked mine up in the TV dept of Macys) that it truly was. It hooked up to a TV not a Arcade CRT. It used standard video cables. Price doesnt make it "NOT A CONSOLE". Was 3DO not a console?

And the unit was not as large as the arcade board. I owned a full size Neo Geo slotted arcade machine. The Board was huge. This was a modified version. The home games did cost $100. But the Arcade versions of the same games were $600-$1500.

Your thought pattern on this is wrong. If it were right, then well the 360 is a PC not a console.

Actually, the Neo Geo cartridges could hook up into the arcade cabinets. There were 2 versions of the Neo Geo, the MVS and AES. The AES was the home version (which was, as said, mainly intended for commercial use) that could use the same cartridges as the MVS.

Like I said, any of the arcade boards can be made to work as a console:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/28/how-to-consolize-an-arcade-game/

And the home versions, English versions, and French versions, were way more expensive than the arcade versions. That's why the MVS cartridges became sooooo much more popular. Wikipedia says that the English, AES Kizuna Encounter sells for 25k.

Even you said "And the home versions" Neo Geo marketed this unit as a HOME GAMING SYSTEM. It was never marketed for commercial use. The units were sold at retail for the home consumer, not a Business only dealer.

MVS carts did not work on the home unit. (TOO LARGE) Price $600-$1500
AES Carts did not work in the arcade boards (Home Retail price) $100 - $150

Please excuse my ignorance but seriously what but commercial purpose was the Neo Geo HOME?

The home version and the arcade versions were interchangeable...

And it was marketed for commercial use. They're arcade boards. The AES versions could be hooked up in an arcade machine (hell, you could even change the dipswitches for it to accept quarters).

And like I said, lots of the AES games ended up being more expensive than the MVS versions. Like I said. 25,000 dollars for Kizuna Encounter.

$25k for a game because only 2 were ever produced is acceptable and considered sought after. THis does not make it ARCADE ACHINE OR BUILT FOR BUSINESS. The fact s Neo Geo designed the unit for sale at home. Shit they had commercials during Xmas for it!!! There is absolutly no commercial value to the unit.

The games ranged between $100 and $200 TOPS! NEver exceeded this pricepoint. While MVS started at $650 for the budget games.

This was a home unit in every aspect. Sure it was pricey but so was the 3DO. It was designed for the rich home user.

"Common short hand for the Neo Geo Advanced Entertainment System. Originally created in 1990 by SNK. It began as a rental-only, arcade-exact system (see AES) in Japan before its huge popularity prompted SNK to release it for purchase. From its inception, SNK planned an arcade version (See MVS) to promote the home system in arcades. Much to the surprise of SNK, the arcade version was a historic success while the AES version fizzled into a cult following. The system (home and arcade) is the longest supported system (by a parent company) in video game history, surpassing the Game Boy/Game Boy Color. It is why this site and this community exists. Also referred to as the "Neo." "

Originally SNK wanted to make it a Rental only, but decided it was best to have it for the home user. It was sold at retail here in the USA, and never rented. Marketed as a HOME UNIT, shit even the original press release stated it was a home unit that just hit RETAIL

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the simple fact that the majority of games are between 100-200 would definitely suggest that the games were not made for the public-at-large.

And there are still plenty of games that go over 200. For example:

Samurai Showdown 4: http://cgi.ebay.com/Neo-Geo-AES-Hom...3QQihZ004QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Samurai Showdown 0: http://cgi.ebay.com/Neo-Geo-AES-Hom...8QQihZ004QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Metal Slug 4; http://cgi.ebay.com/Metal-Slug-4-Ne...68QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4315QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Metal Slug 3: http://cgi.ebay.com/Metal-Slug-3-Ne...81QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4315QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
"Yes we promoted our Neo Geo Silver and Gold systems to home users. Our original intent was to promote our arcade by selling our Home units to renters in Japan, but later decided to change this to compete with other home units currently on the market. When we released the Silver and Gold in the US our only marketing was for retail sales."

"You are correct about the games costing hundreds of dollars less for home units. But please remember, that We sold Magician Lord for $1800 for the Arcade version and waited 6 months to release the home edition."

This is a quote from a PR Manager at SNK during the time of release.

Yes I decided to end this debate by contacting my old friends!!!

LOL

You are wrong now move on..