Neo Geo Pocket Color

SquallSnake7

Editor in Chief
Jun 23, 2005
IL
While everyone was busy playing Pokemon on their GBC's, this puppy sat on store shelves. Too bad. I love my NGPC. Has some really great games. And who know a portable system would have so many strong fighting games.... thanks to the clicky analog stick.

Well, since the first gaming hardware I was allowed to have as a child was the GBC + Pokemon (along with Zelda: Link's Awakening; a far superior game to Pkmn :p) I missed out on the NGPC. I remember a handheld issue of GamePro comparing the GBC, NeoGeo, and ... GameGear maybe? It was the usual race of systems, where Nintendo seemed to lose in the specs category, but recouped its losses with wildly popular games (again, Pokemon XP)

I've always wanted to pick a NeoGeo Color off of eBay though... or a WonderSwan. The NGPC doesn't seem to have too many games though :/ How sad.

I remember when it came out that people were hyping Sonic, King of Figherts, and Metal Slug as well as the connectivity with the Dreamcast.

I actually still use my NGPC on a really regular basis- I thought the fighting games for it were wildly ahead of their Game Boy counterparts, and the graphics, while not state of the art by today's standards, were cute, clearly represented each character, and on a less technical note, are excellent for the purpose of video game crafting. Plus, the system's battery life is excellent- better than any other hand held I've dealt with. When it comes right down to it, though, I think my continued attachment to the system stems simply from Cardfighter's Clash. It's a really fun card game with the collection elements I'm a permanent sucker for, a brilliantly fan-centric sense of humor, and it holds up much better than the DS sequel despite the fact that it's had years more to age.