Need for more Genres

SquallSnake7

Editor in Chief
Jun 23, 2005
IL
When adding games, more options are needed

When adding games, it would be better if we could have a few more options when selecting the Genre of the game.

Flying/Flight, Puzzle, Music, Platform, Movie (for the GBA movie Paks), RTS, Touch Screen (for the Nintendo DS), Voice Input (also for the DS and games that use microphones), Dance (example: DDR), FPS, Kart Racer, System (this should be selected when reviewing the game system itself), Hardware, Demo Disc, Card, Fantasy, Mini Games, Party, Compilations.

And I guess you can always have "OTHER" f or those miscelleanous games like Kirby Tilt and Tumble GBC, Katarami Dacamy PS2, and GameBoy Camera GB.

If possible, please add these genres. Thanks.

We already have puzzle, flight falls into sims... and so does basically everything else you list.

If we had some of the categories you named, there would be just a few games to fill each of them.

You get a thumbs down for reasoning.

How about having two descriptors for a game's genre? Like Rhythm/Dance or Rhythm/Singing for Konami's different Revolution games, or Shooter/First-Person Shooter for the recently reviewed Call of Duty for the PS2, to differentiate it from other shooting games like, say, Mega Man.

I don't really see the point of splitting genres into micro-managed sub categories. I don't even see the need of having say FPS as opposed to Action.

General genre categories work just fine...for me. Plus, I can't honestly recall if I've ever searched for a game by genre. It's not like a lucky dip; you either know what you want, or you don't.

Stevie

We also have a "shooter" category. If something fits into say action and shooter, then why not select both of those. For example, I archived a sports sim the other day. It's a sports game and a simulation, but it doesn't need it's own specific genre per se. It fits into two.

That works fine for me.

Sal