NDS Getting Web Browser And T.V.!

tamj

Registered
Jan 30, 2006
everywhere
I have Tips & Tricks Magazine and it says that there will be a web browser and a tv adapter for ds. the tv adapter can pick up local tv broadcasts but it is still a prototype.

really? unless u have the cartridge which is expensive and hard to get, you cant play vids. also with mem sticks u have to deal with the size. with the adapter u can use it anywhere.

I read that the TV adapter was intended only for a certain Japanese network, and Nintendo had no intention of selling it in the USA. I've seen the web browser in action, and while neat, it's pretty under-featured, and it's really only good for checking simpler web pages for news or email. It does let you save web pages for later, though, so you don't have to be in a wi-fi hot spot all the time to use it.

Neat stuff, but the praticality is shakey for both.

I doubt I'd buy either. I thought that the web-browser would be part of a firmware patch (free) when they first announced it. When I found out you need a cart to use it, I said screw it. I have a laptop to browse the web wirelessly.

yea, thats true. also the wifi is not that strong compared to a psp ( not saying that ds sucks, i own both the psp and the ds) b/c the psp is as strong as a normal laptop wifi. the ds's wifi is best at ds to ds multiplayer compared to psp from what i know ( i might be weong b/c i only tested one game with gamesharing on the psp).

UPDATE: The DS is getting a mp3 player.

Albeit, it's a strictly European release (as far as I know; found this news on GamesPress) and will feature a 512 MB (approx. 150 songs) memory SD card. Which to me seems measly and pales in comparison to my mighty 30GB iPod Video. But then again, I have to consider that the DS mp3 blends music and games into one handy Nintendo system, while my pockets will be weighed down with both the DS [and not a Lite, mind you] and iPod [with heavy-duty Speck cover]. Sheesh.

That's not much of a feat, as there were third party video playing programs that could be loaded onto flash carts for the GBA, precursors to the official cartoon carts one finds from time to time. Similar SD card driven solutions for the DS have been around for a while now, but it's nice to see wider releases.

And if it uses an SD card, then one can purchase a bigger SD card and hold much more music. Some people prefer that flexibility to the shear force of a 30 (or 60) gigabyte hard drive.