Moving downloaded content to new 360

BlastInc

Registered
Jun 23, 2005
Siler City
So I got a new 360 and moved my old hard drive over, and though everything plays great while you're online, when you're offline all downloaded songs for Rock Band wouldn't play, nor would any downloaded arcade games be the full versions. So I called the big MS and asked for assistance. Though helpful, they didn't describe the process in full. I hope I'm not duplicating a thread, but thought I'd let everyone know what the deal is:

First off, go to http://www.xbox.com/drm

Walk thru the instructions there, making sure you note the serial numbers of your console. Do not accidentally choose the old console, because the DRM move is a one time thing, you'll be SOL unless Microsoft can reset it for you.

Now, the above step doesn't really correct anything from my experience. It basically just enables your new console to re-download the material.

Next step, sign in to Xbox Live with you live enabled profile and go to account management - download history.

This is the part that really bugged me before I realized exactly what was going on. I have every Rock Band song downloaded, so I was thinking "OMG, I have to redownload every single one of those? That'll take me forever!" Fortunately it's not THAT bad.

So, start from the top and choose to redownload every thing you see that you still want to use. Fortunately for MOST items, it will recognize that you already have the data, and just need a refresh, therefore NOT actually downloading each item. Whew! It still took me about 2 hours to relicense everything, but it's well worth it if you're one of these that tours with your 360 and don't always have an internet connection. Maybe if they'll ever bring the overpriced 360 wireless accessory down in price (still $99 which is ridiculous), it wouldn't be such a burden!

Anyway, I hope this helps someone!

When I moved my saves, dlc, etc. over to my new hard drive I was scarred all the way through that everything would get lost because MS makes it very clear that some things can be deleted in the transfer. I bought the 360 memory card thing (which costs way too much by the way) to save as much as possible in case data did get erased. Turns out everything, but one piece of data got moved without any problem, so I spent money on the memory card for nothing. My only real problem is that was that I can't play some arcade games without being online. The transfer took forever, but all-in-all, the process was pretty easy and problem free.