Most influential

nope, nope and nope. The first game that defined the graphical splendor of the now current-gen consoles was FFX, the first game that emphasized squad based combat was rainbow six and it really didn't influence any modern games....not even FPSs. The only defining game for FPSs was either Doom or Quake.

Reply to: cerealgamer:

What are u guys talking about? i agree wit the dude who said mario bros was influential, but what about halo 1, that basically invented half of the stuff in modern video games, redifined the term 'good graphics', or freedom fighters, that invented the concept of commanding soldiers instead of them just standing there and looking pretty?

*cough*FANBOY*cough*. Ahem. Excuse me, I had something in my throat.

As much as I'd like to tear into you I can't because that would give MG a bad name. There was absolutely nothing influential about Halo. If anything, Halo was influenced by a lot of other games, including its rival, Half-Life which in-turn was influenced by Doom, Quake and the like.

Reply to: Yoggs:

What are u guys talking about? i agree wit the dude who said mario bros was influential, but what about halo 1, that basically invented half of the stuff in modern video games, redifined the term 'good graphics', or freedom fighters, that invented the concept of commanding soldiers instead of them just standing there and looking pretty?

*cough*FANBOY*cough*. Ahem. Excuse me, I had something in my throat.

As much as I'd like to tear into you I can't because that would give MG a bad name. There was absolutely nothing influential about Halo. If anything, Halo was influenced by a lot of other games, including its rival, Half-Life which in-turn was influenced by Doom, Quake and the like.

Goldeneye was an influence to some FPS games. It's probably the first FPS game that I remember on the consoles.

what about halo 1, that basically invented half of the stuff in modern video games, redifined the term 'good graphics'

When we use the word 'revolutionary' we're talking about how that game changed games that came after it; revolutionized the industry. Halo is more evolutionary than revolutionary. There was nothing inherent in that game that had not been done before, and nothing that was done so well or differently that it changed the way future games were designed.

I'd like to hear you expand on why you think it "invented half of the stuff in modern video games". As for the graphics; yeah they were good! But then again, Halo didn't introduce anything graphically that we haven't seen before. Games that stand out graphically are games like Wolfenstein 3D, the first really accesible game that put the player in a first-person perspective in a 3D world, or Jet Grind Radio which introduced the concept of cel shading. Halo was pretty, sure, but it didn't do anything really new.

Goldeneye was an influence to some FPS games. It's probably the first FPS game that I remember on the consoles.

Doom was ported to the SNES.

Goldeneye influenced many games in ways of multiplayer, games such as Halo. Like I said, I could only fit 10 on the list and I felt some choices were better than others. There are easily more than 10 games that influenced the industry and maybe some were better than the ones I chose. Hey, I'm only one person. Aren't I allowed to make mistakes? :p If the top 100 gets made then I'm sure that Goldeneye will be on the list most deffinetly.

Reply to: Yoggs:
Doom was ported to the SNES.

32x IIRC.
edit: Now I remember, it used the SNES "FX" chip right?

It's funny how these "most influential" things end up. Doom, for example, is probably (and justifiably) called the most influential FPS. Yet it wasn't the first 3D FPS, and it certainly wasn't the best. It borrowed practially everything from Wolfenstein 3D, but have an improved graphics engines and onle little change that will mark it's spot in gaming history: deathmatch.

So sometimes the first game of a type isn't always the most influential. Usually, it's some of kind of innovation... look at Gran Turismo. Not the first game to use licensed real world cars. Not the first game to upgrade cars. It didn't even look that great compared to other racers of its time. But it had a scope and depth and radical vision that has undoubtedly changed racing games forever. That's an influential game.