Most Favorite Open-World Game?

allarijit

Registered
Nov 17, 2014
Just wanted to ask: What is your most favorite Open-World game of all time? I had a really hard time choosing, but I think mine would have to be Assassin Creed 3. I found it so fascinating to travel all around British America, and the extensive forests and mountains made the experience all the more enjoyable! (Also the ending was really emotional, Connor is by far my favorite assassin!)I'm actually a big fan of almost all Assassin Creed games because each game brings a unique historical environment for gamers to explore. Other than the AC series, I also think that The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is also a great open-world game, not to mention the endless tasks quests and mini-games that it offers! (I bought it a year back, and have yet to fully complete it haha). Speaking of different video game genres, I think that open-world games is my current favorite video game genre simply because of the freedom that it gives the gamer to explore their surroundings.

I don't know if it's fair for me to say, since I haven't played a ton. I'd say GTA3 was it for me. At the time, it just blew me away at how big and expansive it was. I remember when GTA1 came out on PC and, to me, that was a pretty open and expansive game. I was young then, but I knew it was only a matter of time before we saw a 3D version, I just didn't think it would be coming out so soon. I never thought a game like GTA was possible to exist the year it came out. It was crazy to me how they kept the core gameplay the same from previous GTA's, but they gave us so much to do in the world.

I'm personally not so great with open world games. I like to start a game, beat it, and move on. With GTA3, I spent most of my time just goofing off and never really completing it. Yes it was crazy fun, but I have a bad habit of being a completionist and it bothered me that that game was left unfisnished. Because of that, I tend to stay away from open-world games. I did sink a lot of hours to Oblivion. That was another one that shocked me. At the time, it was just insane to me how much gameplay was contained in that game. The game is a bit dated now (especially when compared to Skyrim), but at the time it was amazing.

It has to be Minecraft for me. I think it's the first truly open-world game I've played. The thing is, I got pretty bored of it quickly after my friends quit. But this element of Minecraft is undeniably one of the biggest reasons why it has become such an enormous success.

Easily Skyrim, in terms of sheer content, replayability and existence of mods. I've spent over a hundred hours on the game and there's still plenty more to explore and do.

Any GTA game would be my pick. I just enjoy their environments so much and if I'm not mistaken they were even the first ones to introduce this concept to video games so they really have the formula down. I enjoy roaming the city and just finding things to do, so much so that I sometimes even ignore the missions completely.

Reactions: allarijit
I'm going to jump onto the GTA train here. I only have GTA4, but it's still very impressive. I haven't played it in awhile, but it's one of my favorites. I know GTAV was release last year, but it still looks amazing and incredibly intricate. There's literally nothing you can't do. It's is so well-built and constructed...

I enjoy roaming the city and just finding things to do, so much so that I sometimes even ignore the missions completely.

I'm also guilty of doing this. I like to throw people out of their cars and drive around random places :)

Far Cry 3 and Assassins Creed 2 would be my choices. I did literally everything in Far Cry 3, just found the game had the perfect pacing and super fun gameplay. Assassins Creed 2 got me into the series since I found 1 to be lackluster in many departments.

Just wanted to ask: What is your most favorite Open-World game of all time? I had a really hard time choosing, but I think mine would have to be Assassin Creed 3. I found it so fascinating to travel all around British America, and the extensive forests and mountains made the experience all the more enjoyable! (Also the ending was really emotional, Connor is by far my favorite assassin!)I'm actually a big fan of almost all Assassin Creed games because each game brings a unique historical environment for gamers to explore. Other than the AC series, I also think that The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is also a great open-world game, not to mention the endless tasks quests and mini-games that it offers! (I bought it a year back, and have yet to fully complete it haha). Speaking of different video game genres, I think that open-world games is my current favorite video game genre simply because of the freedom that it gives the gamer to explore their surroundings.
My all time favorite would be Minecraft.I can't seem to get enough of it.Any GTA game would also be fine to me.

Minecraft for me as well. I bought the game in 2012 during the Summer with my brother. At first, I was a bit reluctant because $20 as a kid seemed like a lot of money, and I was afraid I would only play for a couple of days, and that would be the end of it. However, during the first day, I created a server and played for hours with my brother. We built houses, dug caves, explored the lands, and stockpiled on resources. As time progressed, I improved my PvP, learned some redstone (although I'm still terrible at it), and joined new servers. I met a lot of friends through Minecraft just by going on their teamspeak on a daily basis. To this day, I still hop on Minecraft every few weeks but not as much as I do in the past.

I have got to say that I think that my favorite game that is open world has to be GTA 5. That game has to be the best open world game that I have ever played.

I would have to say GTA and Elder Scrolls easily would be my favorite. The amount of things you can do or the things you don't want to do. All you have to do is choose. I can be the good guy or I can go around and just lay waste to everyone in either game. I could be the hero and follow the story line as intended.

In Skyrim, There are tons of mods that can make it that i can just do RP in it instead. That is truly impressive. What more can one ask for at that point?

Let's see, my favorite open world game would most definitely be Minecraft. I have been hooked on this game ever since Alpha, and have played so much on it that I've lost track. And the endless world really in it really is (practically) endless- you could never reach the end without mods or cheats. :)

It's you to narrow it down to just one favorite en-world game and so I am going to cheat a little and pick two. My two favorite open world games are Grant Theft Auto: San Andreas and Scarface.

I have owned all Grand Theft Auto games but San Andreas was my favorite. I liked the story, I liked the cars, I liked the music and most importantly, I liked the gameplay most of all. There was just an incredible amount of missions and so much to explore.

Scarface was just a whole lot of fun to play. As a fan of the movie, it was incredibly fun to play as Tony Montana. I really liked the game setting of Miami and I liked that the major it of the cars handled really well which made it fun to go cruising through Miami.

I must also give a special mention to Far Cry 3. It was t choosing just two and Far Cry 3 just missed out.

Elder Scrolls for me. The amount of non-repetitive gameplay you can get out of each of those games is amazing. It feels like you can never see all of it.

I've got a huge love for The elder scrolls: Oblivion. It's probably the first real open world game I ever played (at least in 3d) and it's beautiful and so extremely atmospherical. I love it. So if I had to pick one it'd have to be that one.

Although, there are a LOT of other great ones like GTA IV / V and Skyrim just to name a few.

I am going to have to say Kerbal Space Program as my favorite open world game. Heck, its not just open world, its open solar system! So many things to do in this game, and it never gets old! Build a spaceship, land on the moon, orbit a satellite, fly a plane! Plus, the game is still in the development stages, so expect a lot more!

Grand theft auto has won it for me hands down simply because it is the first game I have ever seen that lets you go almost anywhere and do pretty much anything you want. Fly a plane, Drive a truck run over people, breaking into a military base and steal the apache helicopter and fool around with hookers. Which other game before grand theft auto ever let you did that?

Sleeping Dogs
Fallout: New Vegas
Just Cause 2
Grand Theft Auto V
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
Infamous 1 and 2
Divinity II
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Dragon's Dogma
Red Dead Redemption

Just some of my favorites.

GTA of course, the best Open- world game. But I also like Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag it's gorgeous. I love Open-world type of games especially you can do anything anywhere you want.

My favorite open world games would have to be the whole GTA Series. I have loved all the games and wish every game was made just like them. I love the maps and the open world adventure concept of it. I hate games where you have to follow specific guidelines and can't roam freely around.