Mario Kart

scoops

Registered
Dec 6, 2005
Toronto, Canada
bmunroe.roestudios.com
Does anybody know if it's possible to cheat in online MK?

I was playing somebody last night, and I swear every item he got was a star, which he was somehow able to use with such deft control as to go forward and reverse at a pace normally impossible in the game to hit me repeatedly. After enduring 3 or four rounds of this, I just switched off my DS.

Somebody help me out, was this guy actually that lucky and that good? Or was he cheating?

The way people "cheat" in Mario Kart DS is called "Snaking." It allows you to move insanely fast by weaving your way through each level using the power slide. It's part of the game, though, and is standard for competitive play, so you can either deal with it or lose. Snaking with a star results in you getting owned.

I dunno about the getting all stars, though.

He wasn't moving faster than I thought he should at top speed. It was the fact that he was able to hit me repeatedly using the star, at a rate faster than once per second. I don't see how that's possible, since he would have to accelerate, hit, reverse, stop, accelerate, all within one second.

And yeah, it was more the repeated getting of stars that led me to believe he was cheating somehow.

I guess if they have bootleg DS carts, then it's possible to put your own programming into them...

i really dislike playing mario kart online.

people always disconnect before they lose and it doesn't count as a victory for me (assuming i actually won). since me winning doesn't happen that often, it would nice for it to count. and not so much just for the rank but just the feeling of completing a race and having my opponent acknowledge it in an honorable manner.

mostly i just play tetris wifi. that is a lot more fun for me and the playing field is more leveled...you get paired with people of similar rank mostly. AND...rank can't be falsified by disco'ing. you disco, you lose.

basilmunroe said:
He wasn't moving faster than I thought he should at top speed. It was the fact that he was able to hit me repeatedly using the star, at a rate faster than once per second. I don't see how that's possible, since he would have to accelerate, hit, reverse, stop, accelerate, all within one second.

Well, the repeated hits could've been just from lag-induced repetition. Or it really could've been from snaking. Since you move from side-to-side, instead of straight.

If I recall, the guy wasn't snaking, he was just getting super star over and over again.