Making Your Own Games

androl

Registered
Feb 9, 2015
Have you ever made your own games or considered doing so? I did a bit of computer programming when I was younger on very outdated computers like the Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum then the Amiga and suchlike and programmed a few games. It also started developing and progressing way too fast for me to keep up with it then though and I kind of lost touch with it.

I have tried getting back into making games recently, I've learned a bit of Java and can make basic Android apps and I have managed to successfully code one game in Flash. I have made quite a few games using Yoyo's Game Maker software too though. Not sure if that's considered cheating but it makes things a lot easier and a lot faster!

I have tried back when I was way younger, but as I grew older, I realized that coding is something I really don't care for. It's just not my kind of thing, sitting in fton of the PC, doing a frustrating job like that.

The game industry is pretty cut throat, there's plenty of excellent indie studios but many don't see financial success. I wouldn't want to stake everything on such a risky industry. Sure you can make some games as a hobby but it won't match up to what people are doing full-time.

Have you ever made your own games or considered doing so? I did a bit of computer programming when I was younger on very outdated computers like the Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum then the Amiga and suchlike and programmed a few games. It also started developing and progressing way too fast for me to keep up with it then though and I kind of lost touch with it.

I have tried getting back into making games recently, I've learned a bit of Java and can make basic Android apps and I have managed to successfully code one game in Flash. I have made quite a few games using Yoyo's Game Maker software too though. Not sure if that's considered cheating but it makes things a lot easier and a lot faster!
I thought about doing it but I did not pursue the computer programming idea. I have seen some computer game creators for FPS games but I never downloaded them. I may get into it in the future if I devote time into it.

I made my own game in a game creator a while back that was similar to the endless runner games today, except it was on PC and had opponents you had to shoot down. It was essentially, a endless flyer. The game creator made it super easy so it only took me a couple hours to make it.

Actually, it's funny that you mention this. When I was younger, back in the early to mid 2000's I remember getting a hold of a program called "RPG Maker 2000" for the PC and spending hours, upon hours trying to create a game like my favorite SNES era JRPG's. I eventually did make several small games that were distributed among friends and some online friends as well, and they were pretty typical of the kind of things that 13-14 year old boys thought were awesome (excessive swearing, violence, sex, that sort of stuff). All in all, not bad for a kid with too much time on his hands.

Well, now I'm an adult with too much time on his hands due to reasons, and I've recently bought the RPG Maker VX Ace program, and have been learning how to handle it with the intention of seeing what sort of games I can produce with its engine. Currently? Nothing much other than messing around and tweaking scripts that are already widely distributed. But I suppose at this point the fun is mostly just in playing with it and seeing what I can do.

Some great responses here. Yes, it can be very frustrating, especially when you have to back through several lines of code to eliminate errors. It's very time consuming and requires a lot of patience. As someone mentioned above, it's alo now a cut throat industry and is nothing like it used to be years ago. When I first got into it, many games and software developers were often just independent programmers like I was. Some of them were teenagers making games in their bedroom and were having their games licensed to software companies. Oh, those were the days!

Some great responses here. Yes, it can be very frustrating, especially when you have to back through several lines of code to eliminate errors. It's very time consuming and requires a lot of patience. As someone mentioned above, it's alo now a cut throat industry and is nothing like it used to be years ago. When I first got into it, many games and software developers were often just independent programmers like I was. Some of them were teenagers making games in their bedroom and were having their games licensed to software companies. Oh, those were the days!

Yeah, it's funny when you read that back then the guys learned to code themselves and just sent the software on a tape by post and got a contract back.

I had attempted a few years back but got extremely frustrated with all the coding in it haha. I guess I thought it would be a program that would do coding for me and I could just drag and drop. I was proven wrong very quickly xD I wouldn't mind being on the design team for one. Just giving ideas of how certain things should look. Or maybe write the script for one. Don't think I am made for the coding aspect.

It was always a dream that I had whenever I was a younger kid. The more I realize how much detail goes in to making video games, though, I realize that I probably would not want to that much. I am currently taking a web design class, and after seeing all of the coding within that, I can only imagine what the coding details are like inside of a video game.

I tried before, but I gave up. Coding is not something that I know I will ever be good at, so I just quit lol. However, I respect game developers. It's a tough thing to do.

I keep trying. I usually implement some basic features but give up once I get burned out with that. I think I just bite off more than I can chew.

Yeah man! When I was younger, I always dreamed of making my own games. I remember before going to sleep I would think of all these awesome game ideas and I would jot my ideas down. Then I would think of the storyline and even draw pictures. However, I never knew how to get my ideas off of paper and onto the screen. I tried multiple times to learn how to program games, but it is difficult to learn in my experience. So, the next logical step, I will be going to college for Computer Science. Hopefully, I can turn these dreams into reality and perhaps even a successful career :)

I once though about it but coding is something I did because I had to for my exams but I don't really like it. I have always prefer the hardware aspects of things and would love to learn about designing hardware. I have seen some programs that can help with creating games but I have never really tried.

There's a game I've had in the back of my mind for a few years now. I don't really do console game, as I'm more a web developer than a game developer. And the game I've thought of making is a browser-based one. It's more text-based than anything else - think of OGame, Ikariam, or Travian. These kinds of games are surprisingly popular, probably because they're easier on us casual gamers.

I'm actually still trying to make my own game in RPG maker. It feels a bit odd, really. Don't get me wrong, I love that I can actually make a game that I wouldn't mind playing, but it's odd to be the one creating it instead of playing it. I don't want to make a bad game and have my views on it skewered because I made and liked it. I can't remember have that shock value that you get when you play a game for the first time and when everything is new to you or just found out a startling secret about the people or the story. I need to get back to trying to finish this game, but depression is a mofo. :(

Tried it a bit in the past but gave up after figuring that I didn't want to spend hours messing with code.

I actually want to try making my own game... However when I think of an idea for a game it's so lame/cliche, so I don't continue it -_- (I need a creativity boost)

And I agree with Squigly about programming industry being very risky. It's kind of like a business; it's just that gamers are more picky than simple consumers.

I've definitely considered making games of my own. So much so in fact that I started learning Python since it's a great coding platform for games. It's used in games like Legend of Grimrock, for example. Learning to code is admittedly very hard but I think I'm making some progress. I hope I can make one soon, and I hope it's at least decent.