Live 8

wijg

Asst Reviews Editor
Registered
Jun 23, 2005
The Old Same Place
Ok, another attempt at a serious thread following something in the news. What are everyone's thoughts on the Live 8 concerts? Will it be enough to spark the G8 into some kind of action? Would the G8 have taken action without the concert? Is financial aid simply what Africa needs or is it policy measures like changes in trade structure? Or is it both? What do you think needs to be done to help the African continent?

The cynic in me believes that all the hype around Live 8 is just a grandstand for celebrities, including musicians, to get up and say they care. Kind of like FAG in Team America. We have a bunch of people of extreme wealth getting together to talk about poverty. While I am not saying that the celebrities should give all their money away, something about the situation seems awkward. However, the better person in me wants this to work. I am for every person on the planet at least having a chance at a life. Whether they make anything of it is their own choice. Starving kids is bad. I wonder though, is there enough to do in our own country? I know the problem in Africa is on such a larger scale, but still. We are already in debt. What money do we have that can be sent overseas?

Does anyone know some of the reasons the problems have perpetuated so long in Africa? It seems like lots of people have been working to fix things, but things aren't changing. My knowledge of history sucks, that is why I ask these things.

On a musical note: I think it is awesome that Pink Floyd is playing. They are one of my favorite bands. Since I have to work today, I hope they come out with a DVD of the show. I would pay the full price just to see Pink Floyd do their three or four songs.

I don't think it'll go over THAT well. But I don't like how the new pseudo-Grateful Dead has been ripping off Pink Floyd...