Killzone 2 and Bio Hazard 5 (RE5)

Maverick said:
These games look astounding! Maybe alittle too astounding. Do you think PS3 games will really look that good at launch?
Maybe so.....the power of cell and the gpu must not be under estimated but........ it maybe all pre redered to get us hyped up.......like coffee...

There's a lot of time between now and the actual launch, and I sincerely doubt the PS3 will remain the God of game consoles it was announced to be at E3. Even if it is, though, trailers often look much better than the actual games. But it is too early to really have any accurate speculation.

true, but all the non hardcore gamers who saw that stuff of G4 are definitely going to pass the word around, all of them will wait for ps3, and be shocked and dissapointed, but still sony will reign supreme, as long as they still have their mind set on games and not some gimmick like that whole online community, create, buy, sell BS on the 360. Personally I'm still hoping, praying, wishing, knocking on wood, that Nintendo pulls a rabbit out of it's hat and takes back the crown

I would mostly agree with that statement if MS's pockets weren't so deep. But no matter what XB360 wasn't going to beat PS3 in round 2 anyway. Sony's fan base is just too strong. MS should've waited a year and made a stronger system than Sony's again. That way word of mouth would be big enough that MS could've made a real run at being #1 in about 6-7 yrs. But now they will probably be a solid 2nd place (in US) once more, with Nintendo bringing up the rear. They're squandering a great opportunity by coming out so early. Hopefully they'll learn from the mistake they are going to make. Now Sony will most likely have the most powerful system, and the most/best/prettiest games. Sony should send MS a thank you card or something.

I'm starting to wonder just how much hardware specs will mean for the next round of consoles. If you look at multiplatform games, there are differences between the consoles but they're slight. The overall performances of the three current consoles are really close, something that couldn't be said of, say, the Saturn, N64, and PSX. It almost seems like using cutting edge hardware for the next consoles is overkill, when the current consoles haven't even been pushed to their fullest yet. It's likely the next consoles will never be pushed to their extremes either, which will be a waste of hardware, really -- in which case MS and Nintendo may have winning strategies. If having the most powerful hardware isn't really that important, then using less powerful components will reduce prices with no apparent detriment to the customer.

I guess the way I'm looking at it is this: when you're looking at two systems with, say, processor speeds of 66MHz and 133MHz, that's a much bigger difference than systems with processor speeds of 2.4Ghz and 3.0GHz. In the first case, you're looking at a nearly 100% increase from one ot the next, but in the other you're only looking at a 25% increase. I think the first case is what we were looking at a generation ago, and the difference was pronounced and did have market implications, and the second case is what we're looking at for the next generation and the market implications are questionable.

I get the feeling that the next generation will depend much more on marketing than raw power or ability of the systems. Pricing will be extremely important, as will things like exclusive titles and effective online strategies. And if it's marketing that's the determining factor, Microsoft has a huge advantage due to their vast budget.

I was thinking the same thing, BC. Essentially, as consoles become more and more powerful, the real quality of the games is dependant on the programmers and artists, and if their communitive skills plateau beneath the weakest console's pinnacle, then it is portable to all three consoles with no loss, and even if it DOES get above the weakest console's abilities, the consoles are all powerful enough to make it virtually unnoticable.

What will define this console race will be third party companies. If Sony can hold onto its unquestionable dominance in third party support, which ATM is questionable, then it could stay on top. The Revolution will be the cheapest to develop for, which will be VERY tempting since the other two will be immensely more expensive, so if Rockstar, or Square Enix, or Konami end up making some big time exclusives, then Nintendo will be nicely back into the race. If the 3rd parties that Microsoft has signed on (Tecmo, Rare, SNK, Mist Walker) end up being really great, it will prove to be a real competitor, both overseas and in America.

I wonder how it will end up....

Those are compelling points. I never really thought of the console race in that way. Everyone says XB is the most powerful, but look at how surprised almost all of us were at how gorgeous God of War was. With the short cycles we will never get to see just how much juice can be squeezed out of each system. Look at RE4 on GC, amazing. I've only seen fuzzy video of Far Cry for XB, but it looks sweet. It's a shame we'll never know just how visualy great these curent systems can be.

And also factor in when PS3 and Revolution come out, 360 will have 2nd gen games. The race may be tighter than I and others anticipated. Who wins may not have anything to do with graphics at all, it could be the system that has the most games at the current $50 mark instead of $60- $70.

Price is an important factor for everyone, and it puts the Revolution in atleast a fairly favorable position for both the gamers, who buy it, and the developers. Most likely, Nintendo fans will pick up Revolution early on, and, if the Revolution can get a nice lineup, will likely become a second console for many. The NEXT gen after that, though, if Nintendo has an exceptional lineup, which beats out both the 360 and PS3, then it can put itself back into the #1 console position.

i agree, price is a very important factor to the gaming world now a days. the higher the price, the less people are going to want it unless they have been wanting the game or console sience they heard about the release. i do also believe that the revolution will sell the most games as it will probly on sell games at the 35 -50 dolar range...compaired to the ps3 and the 360s 50-75 dollar range. but should playstation and ms lower their prices on some of the most wanted games...they might acctually make more of a profit. but the price on the console, i dont think that will matter to hardcore gamers. but the less active and weaker fans, will think that it will cost to much and go with the rev. but i also think that the nintendo fans of the original games, such as mario, and donkey kong, will probly get the rev just because of the downloadabilty of all the original games and anyother game licenced by nintendo. a feature like that might come in handy to indeed finaly put them back on top. but then again, it may only prove to be a flaw. it might cost more to download games...seeing as noone really knows if u have to have mem card space to download or if its just saved on the revs hd.

Well, ATM the only known launch game is SSBR...but whether or not the games will be downloadable as soon as it launches is unknown. But the cost will only really hit hard if there does end up being a 20 dollar gap between games. Otherwise, most of the gamers in America who just buy Madden 200# and GTAs will just buy those, and that's it. And whether or not the Revolution has some of the non-game oriented features, like a DVD player (there was a special but unpopular GCX in Japan that could play DVDs, which never came stateside), listen to music, and so on may become a factor. Nintendo already admits that the Revolution won't do anything with HDTVs.

kapsmfry said:
i agree, price is a very important factor to the gaming world now a days. the higher the price, the less people are going to want it unless they have been wanting the game or console sience they heard about the release. i do also believe that the revolution will sell the most games as it will probly on sell games at the 35 -50 dolar range...compaired to the ps3 and the 360s 50-75 dollar range. but should playstation and ms lower their prices on some of the most wanted games...they might acctually make more of a profit.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make with my other post. I think it makes sense to lower prices, but not everyone agrees.

Well, nobody wants to pay more for their games, maverick. But you don't want games to be sucky because they're all low budget.

Maverick said:
That was exactly the point I was trying to make with my other post. I think it makes sense to lower prices, but not everyone agrees.

In order to say that lower prices will make more profit, you need to know what the costs associated with making the games are. It's easy to assume that prices are being jacked up just because the companies wantto make a quick buck, but for all we know the break even point is $52, $56, whatever. There are a lot of smart people working for the corporations who know all sides of this equation and their job is to figure out how to market this stuff.

true, that's why any time you go to a gaming store and look at the budget games, we're talking 19.99 new, they tend to suck, the exception of course being katamari damacy, which kind of blows my mind

spudlyff8fan said:
Well, nobody wants to pay more for their games, maverick. But you don't want games to be sucky because they're all low budget.

Just because the price would be somewhat lowered, doesn't necessarily mean that the games would be low budget. And I certainly don't think the videogame companies are trying to make a quick buck. I think that kind greediness usually backfires in the end.

Last edited:
what i meant is like lower the price range to about 40 - 65 or 70 bux for a game...thats still alot of money to spend on a new game, but more people would want to buy the game because the price for the game isnt 65 bux, its now only 45 something like that. if that makes the game "low budjet" then yall are nuts. personaly i would much rather buy a game for 30 bux then a game for 50 on the ps2. i have wanted GT4 sience it came out, but im not willing to fork over 50 bux for a game that has been out for months. but if u think that lowering the price like 20 bux makes the game not worth buying...then u can spend the 75 bux for an 90 dollar game and ill spend 50 for an 85 dollar game or 90 dollar.

kurruption said:
true, that's why any time you go to a gaming store and look at the budget games, we're talking 19.99 new, they tend to suck, the exception of course being katamari damacy, which kind of blows my mind

Dark Cloud? Dark Cloud 2? Onimusha Warlords? Onimusha 2? Onimusha 3? Metal Gear Solid 2? Metal Gear Solid 3? Final Fantasy X? Final Fantasy X-2? Phantom Brave? Xenosaga? Xenosaga 2? Splinter Cell? Splinter Cell Pandora Tommorow? SOCOM? SOCOM 2? Star Ocean Til the End of Time? Devil May Cry? Devil May Cry 2? Guilty Gear X2? Resident Evil Code Veronica? Resident Evil Outbreak? Resident Evil Outbreak 2? Zone of Enders? .hack//Infection? Drakengard? Grand Theft Auto 3? Grand Theft Auto Vice City? Kingdom Hearts? Jak and Daxter? Jak 2? Jak 3? Gran Turismo 3? OO7 Everything or Nothing? Beyond Good and Evil? Ghost in the Shell?

eh...I'm tired of this...you get the point.