its out.

Wii sports is good to. Its not as indep as real sports games, but playing with friends is pretty fun. The Zelda is flawless, it just might be the best zelda I've evr played. But I'll wait til I finish it to give it the Zelda OoT crown.

It's fascinating watching GameRankings and seeing Twilight Princess shoot straight to number 2, behind only it's fabled predecessor, Ocarina of Time. I'm curious to see what game is so good, despite some control complaints, to be the second "best game" of all time.

It isn't a poll, it's an average of rankings given by sites, magazines, etc.

I don't believe it's the second best game ever, though.

me too, its to early to say, maybe in another ten years it could, but the debate on which zelda is better could last for ages.

I don't pretend for a moment that GameRankings is some kind of final authority. People's tastes differ, concessions are made for strange reasons, popular series are given undue boosts for their lineage, etc., etc. But even so, being so highly rated as an average is no small feat. All I can say is it'd better have something special when I get to it.

I think the game great and second place behind the OoT is where it belongs for now. From just playing it first hand. I love the controls and had no real problem adapting to them. I'm about 30 hours in and the story is excellent. So, second place yeah I believe it.

The only thing that bothers me is that they recycle so much of the same sh*t in each game. The towns music is the same, all weapons are getting a new spin on them and the graphics are nice, but the fighting has been the same since Oot. I'd like to keep the Z targeting, but man, something.....

Dmack...the music has ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS been the same. Always.

The fighting got a big change from WW to OoT, too.

zelda's music is a classic, if some one started playing that on the streets...which would be weird but you would go, " hey thats zelda!"
it be like adding a electric guitar to baytovens symphany.

and there is new weapons, new stuff added, fighting changes, from the transition from the cube to wii, but there is some new weapons, none i have to see yet in real life, but i have read several articles, that there is new weapons, but lets not forget the wolf form, kicking ass as a dog does sound pretty kewl, and to make it better if you could bite the enemys balls.

Grantastic85 said:
zelda's music is a classic, if some one started playing that on the streets...which would be weird but you would go, " hey thats zelda!"
it be like adding a electric guitar to baytovens symphany.

and there is new weapons, new stuff added, fighting changes, from the transition from the cube to wii, but there is some new weapons, none i have to see yet in real life, but i have read several articles, that there is new weapons, but lets not forget the wolf form, kicking ass as a dog does sound pretty kewl, and to make it better if you could bite the enemys balls.

I'll give you the names of some of the new weapons. Like the ball&Chain. It's a big heavy ball with a chain(just like the name) that Links swings around and can break thru walls of ice. Other new weapon is the spinner. It kinda like a top with gear on it, and you can ride on top of it. With the gear on the spinner you can lock it in certain places and spin it, and it unlocks doors and new areas.

Last edited:
This is all in sharp contrast to the Super Mario series, which saw a lot of new music over the years and fresh additions to the platforming formula nearly every new iteration. Even New Super Mario Bros, a supposed return to form, had some original songs and new devices.

In comparison, series like Zelda and Metroid are a bit archaic and conservative. Despite powerful and effective evolutionary steps, their music and gameplay have changed little if at all. They've both spawned great new editions, and those old mechanics are still a lot of fun, but there's little "new" there.

So if you demand dramatic innovation, you can't really look to Nintendo's games too often. They stick to their guns, because time has proved their guns are still pretty fearsome.

Nintendo knows that nostalgia is a powerful force. As for Metroid Prime, that was a pretty dramatic leap if you ask me (yet remained true to its roots), and it has some of the best music I've ever heard in a vg.

Anyway, what I really want to comment on is how it was brought up in this thread or another on this board that the Wii will be plenty available and won't be that in demand come Christmas/holidays. This is exactly the opposite. Despite having more units made available, I cannot find a Wii anywhere in stores (and they don't expect to get any until after christmas). But, but.. I'm at EB looking for one the other day, and a guy in front of me buys a PS3. Just had to mention that. I realize this could be a statistical anomaly and Wiis can be found fairly easily elsewhere, but somehow I doubt it.

I think the lesson here is that there is no point in being blindly assure of one's self and one's knowledge. What good, what truth can come of it?

games are not supposed to have sweeping and dramatic changes in every recreation of them. Good games are created as something original, and then work that original idea into great games through the next few sequels. Once the style that has been created feels as though it has been pushed as far as it will go and gotten as good as it can be, then the game must reinvent itself in a new form. This is seen in resident evil, zelda, mario, metroid, mega-man, grand theft auto, warcraft, and even madden. All of these games will stay consistent far a long period of time and then periodically change their formula and create a whole new experience with their next game, such as Super Mario Bros. 3 to Super Mario 64, Resident Evil: Code Veronica to Resident Evil 4, Super Metroid to Metroid Prime, GTA 2 to GTA 3, Warcraft 3 to WoW, Mega-Man 3 to Mega-Man X, or Zelda: A Link To The Past to Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. Within all of these revolutionary changes there are also risk taking adjustments that did not necessarily change the way the game is played, but they did adjust the future of where the game is headed.

Last edited: