Is there any noticeable difference between i5 and i7?

queenbellevue

Registered
Feb 14, 2015
Say I were torn between an i5 laptop with SSD and an i7 with hard disk drive, which one should I get?

There obviously are differences, otherwise the processors wouldn't be sold as two separate lines. i7 is the superior model, which is also why it's more expensive.

If I were to choose between an i5 or i7 I'd go with the i5 only because it's cheaper. There's not much noticeable difference really. If I were to choose between an SSD and HDD I'd go for the SSD, even with it having a higher price. I'm a sucker for lightning fast boots.

If I were to choose between an i5 or i7 I'd go with the i5 only because it's cheaper. There's not much noticeable difference really. If I were to choose between an SSD and HDD I'd go for the SSD, even with it having a higher price. I'm a sucker for lightning fast boots.

Does SSD make everything run faster, or just the booting process? I'm interested in how it runs graphic heavy things like games and Photoshop and the like

Does SSD make everything run faster, or just the booting process? I'm interested in how it runs graphic heavy things like games and Photoshop and the like
Faster booting, longer life due to non-moving parts, no idle state (notice that when you don't use your desktop for a long time and when you open a folder the HDD makes a sound like it's revving up? SSD doesn't do that), less chance of your files getting corrupted because of power outages (because there is no needle jumping all over the place).

In regards to games and Photoshop, I'll still go with SSDs. HDDs are more for storage in my opinion.

Faster booting, longer life due to non-moving parts, no idle state (notice that when you don't use your desktop for a long time and when you open a folder the HDD makes a sound like it's revving up? SSD doesn't do that), less chance of your files getting corrupted because of power outages (because there is no needle jumping all over the place).

In regards to games and Photoshop, I'll still go with SSDs. HDDs are more for storage in my opinion.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking as well. It just sucks that SSDs are still so expensive. A 256gb SSD add-on from the HP store is like $300, which is a LOT of money (like a third of what the laptop would cost without the SSD):mad:

Reactions: TommyVercetti
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking as well. It just sucks that SSDs are still so expensive. A 256gb SSD add-on from the HP store is like $300, which is a LOT of money (like a third of what the laptop would cost without the SSD):mad:
I don't know if you'll agree to this, but the first time I got an SSD I just got the 128gb one. It's served me pretty well so far. I would love a 256gb one, but as you say, it's still too expensive.

I don't know if you'll agree to this, but the first time I got an SSD I just got the 128gb one. It's served me pretty well so far. I would love a 256gb one, but as you say, it's still too expensive.

Yeah, but what about storage? I'm guessing you'd only get 90 gb of storage after all the OS and other stuff

Yeah, but what about storage? I'm guessing you'd only get 90 gb of storage after all the OS and other stuff
SSD shouldn't really be used to storage that much stuff. As long as you get your OS and the games you play on the SSD, its enough. Then you should get HDD depending on your needs for music and films etc. But anyway, I would probably go with the i7 laptop since it is a laptop after all, and you wont have as many cores as you would have with a desktop. That is,if you are going to play games with the laptop. If you are only getting it for office work, SSD is a better option like previously mentioned on this thread.

SSD shouldn't really be used to storage that much stuff. As long as you get your OS and the games you play on the SSD, its enough. Then you should get HDD depending on your needs for music and films etc. But anyway, I would probably go with the i7 laptop since it is a laptop after all, and you wont have as many cores as you would have with a desktop. That is,if you are going to play games with the laptop. If you are only getting it for office work, SSD is a better option like previously mentioned on this thread.
Fair point. You can't really upgrade your laptop processor from i5 to i7. However, it much easier to upgrade from an HDD to an SSD even on a laptop.

I am always for the latest models because I feel they are more advanced. The price is higher too, but in the case I feel it justifies.

SSD practically doesn't help with games, fyi. The loading time diferences are absolutely miniscule, if any.

Really? What about other cpu intensive software like Photoshop or video editing programs and such?

It will start up faster, that's about it. If you plan on using CPU-intensive software, then you obviously want the better CPU instead. :)

i5 is usually better for gaming because i7 has hyperthreading which helps alot in video-rendering and stuff like that - hence the price difference - hyper-threading doesn't make a big difference in most games, but some games support it. I hope I helped you ;)

Yes. And if you are havey multitasker you will already notice that. I5 is good for only gaming and not multitasking applications. I already tried it. But ofcourse if you play on i7 there's more frames per second than an i5 cpu.

I am pretty sure that you're talking about laptops that comes with the U processors. Regarding the processor, it would highly depend on your needs. Let's say you're planning to do video editing or coding, getting the i7 would be better, but the i5 is not that bad. Besides, the difference in frequency is only 200 MHz or so (not sure) and the difference might roughly about 12% improvement.