Is the PS2 Underrated?

FlyFish998

Registered
Sep 21, 2015
I feel like a lot of people really overlook how amazing the PS2 was and still is. Here are some of the amazing benefits of this system:

-Backwards compatible: Newer consoles don't play older games until they are remade
-DVD/CD player: Plays basic discs and you don't have to splurge for blue-ray
-Largest selection of game titles
-still releases newer game titles
-tends to be more durable than newer consoles

Granted, new-gen consoles have internet. But if internet gaming isn't your primary concern, then the PS2 is still very comparable to new-gen consoles. Maybe even superior since it and its games are much cheaper.

Thoughts?

I still have my PS2 for these reasons. :) I do enjoy going back to those great PS1 and PS2 games that I grew up on. I don't see getting rid of it, unless one of the new gens allow us to play the older games -- and that doesn't seem likely!

Reactions: FlyFish998
The PS2 was ridiculously popular in its hay day, so I wouldn't say it was underrated in the past. But, yes, it definitely still has its uses. I don't have mine hooked up at the moment, but I love the PS2 library, and if I run out of other options it works very well as a DVD player. My only quibble stems from the over-long cord attached to the controllers, and how often they get tangled together, but that's a problem with most old systems.

Reactions: FlyFish998
Haha, you are right @SLTE I do recall those long corded controllers. I still use mine often and honestly I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to work the controls. You can believe she will be exposed to Spyro and all of the PS2 greats!!

You're right it was not underrated in the past, but I think a lot of people sold their PS2 when the PS3 came out. I think that was a mistake on their part.

I think the Playstation 2 was well designed and had nice games which were enjoyable to play and enjoyed how it was easy to load the game, and liked how you could play the Playstation one games and even the memory card worked in it. I think the long controller cord was impressive and could sit further away from the Television screen, as the Playstation 3 does not have that, and need to be close to the console to play the game unless you have a longer cord for the controller. I reckon the Tomb Raider Anniversary was impressive for a Ps2 game with the upgraded graphics and enjoyed playing the game with the puzzles and Shadow of the Colossus.

I feel like a lot of people really overlook how amazing the PS2 was and still is. Here are some of the amazing benefits of this system:

-Backwards compatible: Newer consoles don't play older games until they are remade
-DVD/CD player: Plays basic discs and you don't have to splurge for blue-ray
-Largest selection of game titles
-still releases newer game titles
-tends to be more durable than newer consoles

Granted, new-gen consoles have internet. But if internet gaming isn't your primary concern, then the PS2 is still very comparable to new-gen consoles. Maybe even superior since it and its games are much cheaper.

Thoughts?

We still have our PS2, and for the reasons you mentioned above, we still play it. Being able to save multiple games on the PS2 memory flash drives may not be ideal, but as you said, games for PS2 can be found for extremely cheap, and most games for PS2 are still very viable options. I enjoy playing The Sims games for PS2 such as The Sims Busting Out more than the newer Sims games such as Sims 3 made for XBOX 360.

I still own my PS2. It was the pinnacle of what a console should be. Plus the huge library of games is phenomenal. I mean that's the sole purpose why I have it honestly. I have a giant library of games that I've built over the years and never let go because of their replayability factor.

I don't think ps2 was underrated on his time, I think it is very very popular back in the days, because there are a lot of games made for this console, plus the graphics of ps2 was so much better compare to ps1, although I guess that ps2 didn't stay as long as ps1 because the ps3 was made soon after.