Is buying mobile games different than pc or console games?

julesm07

Registered
Mar 13, 2016
I'm not sure what it is, but buying mobile games just doesn't seem the same to me as buying pc or console games. Which really doesn't make sense. I will drop $50-60 on a PC game that I really want, but hesitate to buy a .99 game on my android. Does anyone else run into this? Or am I just weird? :D

I don't think you're weird at all. I am the same way. I will go to Gamestop in a heartbeat and spend big bucks on a game, but when it comes to the mobile ones, I am hesitant. It seems every game you play nowadays requires some sort of "credits" to make it to the top. I like the console games better because you don't have to pay any extra to actually succeed in the game. Sure, you can purchase downloadable content, but that's usually for the extras that aren't really required to play the game, whereas in the mobile versions you have to buy those credits, gems, stones, etc in order to have the good gear, the highest class, etc. That's just my opinion though.

I don't think that's weird since you might subconsciously just be trying to save money for the next big console game you'd want to buy. I love playing mobile games but recently I've been feeling the difference between those and console games more and more because with console games you get to play a more intense campaign that you can potentially play for weeks just to finish, whereas with mobile games they are usually the type where you don't invest as much and just pick up and play whenever you feel like it. I rarely come across any mobile games with a story mode where I feel compelled to use a save game state feature and that's a standard feature on console games for good reason.

From what I can tell you, gaming on PC is more fun than doing it on mobile device. The size and experience aren't the same thing. PC games have more improved and impressive quality and graphics which makes the game look more than cool compared to what you would get from playing with phones.

I have reason to believe that this is the major difference and the cause why people find it more easier to invest even more in buying PC games than invest a little in buying android devices games.

It's not only you. I'm the same actually, I've only ever paid for games on mobile twice I think. I made sure to get a refund the second time because I just regretted the purchase the moment I paid for the game. The first game that I paid wasn't too bad but I got bored of it after a week, which was too late to get a refund, unfortunately. I guess we are happy to put a lot of money into PC or console games because they are hyped so much and chances are we have seen a lot of trailers/gameplay and we actually like the game. With mobile, we just don't really know and have to guess whether paying that $0.99 is worth it or not.

You've actually got me thinking now - I wonder why I am more reluctant to pay for cell phone games than I am for other types - especially when I have my phone with me basically 24/7, so in theory I would probably get more use out of cell phone games than any other kind! I think the quality of cell phone games is getting so much better, more and more money and developers are being pumped into them. I think as the quality of the games goes up, people's interest will too, and then it won't seem so unusual to pay for games through apps.

Yeah, I think it's mostly because people don't expect much from mobile games and most of the time it's not worth its price. In addition, phones can get replaced quickly due to various reasons and we don't want to spend a lot on something that we'll just replace after a while.