Is $60 a good price for games?

Oh I agree, but the fact is that EA make some of the biggest selling games around, especially when it comes to sports games.

Having said that, one of the battlefront games with all the added extras and the DLC was coming in at £120 as well.

While it's true that if people didn't buy them then they'd have to lower the price, but for the moment at least people are willing to pay a premium price, that doesn't make it right though.

Reactions: dillinger10
I will only very rarely purchase at full price. I mean extremely rarely. If it's an MMO I play all the bloody time then yeah I'll drop full price on the expansion at release because honestly the hours sunk vs cost of the game itself is pennies on the dollar at that point for entertainment. As to new games that really depends on what it is- if I know that I can get the best bang for my buck then I will purchase it. Skyrim was one such game that was worth its price at release out of sheer replayability alone.

Other than that- no $60 at release is not my cup of tea. Especially if the game only gets like 10 hours of gameplay or is bugged as all hell. Diablo 3 sucked at release and Blizzard charged $60 for it. I only got it cause my WoW sub at the time covered for a free copy. I'll happily wait for the prices to drop. It's not the end of the world if I'm not the first to play it.

I'll happily wait for the prices to drop. It's not the end of the world if I'm not the first to play it.

More people should have this mentality. Patient gaming is really rewarding and much cheaper than buying stuff day one. Save the day one purchases to games you really really really want, everything else wait for a while. Just have to be careful and avoid any topics discussing the games, to avoid spoilers!

I am fine with $60 for a new computer game or an expansion. I think it's a bit high for a PS or XBox game though, those should run more around $50 at most. Collectors editions are higher of course, but I never buy them. I really don't understand why people do as I find them a waste of money.

Apparently I think so because I never buy them when they first come out. I always wait until I read reviews and until the price drops to purchase. I can't justify spending $60.

Oh I agree, but the fact is that EA make some of the biggest selling games around, especially when it comes to sports games.

Having said that, one of the battlefront games with all the added extras and the DLC was coming in at £120 as well.

While it's true that if people didn't buy them then they'd have to lower the price, but for the moment at least people are willing to pay a premium price, that doesn't make it right though.
The one thing with EA sports games is that most of us that play them care about getting the latest player/roster update. For me, it is worth buying the newest FIFA game each year if only for the fact that the teams are updated and the leagues are correctly represented. The other thing with EA games is that they almost always get a price reduction in the first month and especially around Black Friday. FIFA 16 was just on sale for $40 and will likely be down to $35 on Black Friday.

The only time I'll pay $60 is if the game is an RPG with 80+ hours of gameplay(not including any DLC they will throw at gamers). Any other game that has less than 10 hours should be charged less since it feels more like a ripoff to me to spend extra on a short game.

The one thing with EA sports games is that most of us that play them care about getting the latest player/roster update. For me, it is worth buying the newest FIFA game each year if only for the fact that the teams are updated and the leagues are correctly represented. The other thing with EA games is that they almost always get a price reduction in the first month and especially around Black Friday. FIFA 16 was just on sale for $40 and will likely be down to $35 on Black Friday.

I'm the same and even if the only difference between the current game and the previous years is the change if strips and player roster I'd still probably get the game, so I'm one of those to blame!

EA have got the sports title market seen up and they know that people who love their sport, whatever it is, will always want to see the new players so are more than likely going to buy the games if not on release day but soon after.

Reactions: dillinger10
Yep, but those prices are insane, come on, who can afford those prices for one game? I can't and I am happy with the cheaper alternatives available.

I agree that $60 is too much. I even feel like (depending on the game) $40 is too much. I would be happy to pay $30 for a new game. But most of the time, I hang off until I can grab it used at Gamestop for far cheaper!
Yea I agree, $60 is too much for a game. Unfortunately $60 is what you have to pay to get many new games. It is very expensive but there is a lot of time and intellectual capital that goes into producing a video game. I try to buy games when they are on stem sale but it doesn't always work out.

I'm the same and even if the only difference between the current game and the previous years is the change if strips and player roster I'd still probably get the game, so I'm one of those to blame!

EA have got the sports title market seen up and they know that people who love their sport, whatever it is, will always want to see the new players so are more than likely going to buy the games if not on release day but soon after.
I am in the same boat as you. FIFA is one of the very few games that I pre-order every year. The roster updates and ensuring that the leagues are up to date with the most recent promotion's and relegation's are worth the pre-order price to me.

I have owned every FIFA since FIFA 97 and the accuracy of the game (correct players/teams, etc..) is as important as the gameplay to me and the main reason why I was never able to make the transition over to PES.

Reactions: pwarbi
Hello everyone! My name is Jorge Solis. No, although I do appreciate a good quality game, I think that paying $60.00 for a game is way too much. We have to consider that competition in the gaming industry is tougher than ever. I think that because of this, their prices should be competitive as well.

I am in the same boat as you. FIFA is one of the very few games that I pre-order every year. The roster updates and ensuring that the leagues are up to date with the most recent promotion's and relegation's are worth the pre-order price to me.

I have owned every FIFA since FIFA 97 and the accuracy of the game (correct players/teams, etc..) is as important as the gameplay to me and the main reason why I was never able to make the transition over to PES.

That's exactly the way I feel also regarding PES. While people might say that the actual game is better to play, it doesn't and never will have the officially licensed players and teams, so that rules it out from the start for me.

Sports games are all about realism for me, and that isn't realistic at all in my opinion.

I am fine with $60 for a new computer game or an expansion. I think it's a bit high for a PS or XBox game though, those should run more around $50 at most. Collectors editions are higher of course, but I never buy them. I really don't understand why people do as I find them a waste of money.

It really depends on the collector's edition. I mean if you did your research and the game is good then it's worth it. I have the collector's edition of GW2 which cost about $149.99 before taxes at the time. Came with a big detailed figurine which is already worth like $50-75 by itself alone, the game equiv to digital deluxe ($75 value at the time of release), gorgeous artbook, several prints to frame and hang, and a best of soundtrack. Considering I've sunk almost 3k hours in the span of 3 years kind of made it worth it to me. But generally this is something to get if you're wanting bragging rights or just to collect because you're really into.

On one hand, I do hate having to pay so much just for one game. On the other, I think the price is fair when you consider how much time and effort goes into video games, and how little recognition some of the developers receive.

Personally, I think the artists and designers for video games deserve good pay for the work they do to make a quality video game. Being an artist myself, I understand that making diverse character designs and atmospheres that match the feel of the game can be extremely difficult and time-consuming. I feel that artists rarely receive the amount of recognition they deserve when it comes to video games. In my opinion, if the game is well-made and clearly created for the player's enjoyment, then the price of $60 is a good deal.

However, if the game is relatively short, or lacks quality gameplay, or is made purely to make money, or anything like that, then the price should be around $35 at most. If a game is going to be priced at $60+, it is crucial that the game developers deliver a truly fantastic gaming experience to their supporters. But if the only reason the game is expensive is because the developers want as much money out of their supporters as possible, then that's really unacceptable and manipulative. Luckily, I haven't spent a lot of money on any game that wasn't thoroughly enjoyable for me. However, it definitely happens to some people, and I think something should be done about it.

Depends on the game, really. I have seen 60 dollar price tags on games that were half finished and full of bugs at release. But a really well done game, like say, The Witcher 3, is definitely worth 60 bucks at launch if you can`t wait for a sale or for the prices to drop.

It's too much, especially since most developers seem to have found it feasible to cut parts of the game and sell them as DLC, which ends up being way more than $60. I hate that people keep falling for the DLC schemes. I have never once bought a game for more than $40. I always wait for sales because I'm not too financially stable to afford spending that much on every newly released game, not to mention I'm a student so I don't even have that much time to play.

One thing that is worth taking into consideration is the fact that the biggest costs these days is not in developing a game, but in the marketing and advertising. EA executive Rich Hilleman has spoken at some length about this, saying that EA typically spends two to three times as much on marketing and advertising as it does on developing a game. I think this is true for almost all AAA games these days.

One other major difference over the last 20 years in creating, developing and marketing a game is the sheer volume of people that are involved in the process. When you have hundreds of people involved, salaries and benefits need to be paid, increasing the overall costs.

I think, even if 60 dollars might be considered much, when a game launches, the price is sure to drop a few months after release, so it does not really matter. Just look at overpriced games from the past, like the Call of Duty series, which you can pick up for 5-10 dollars nowadays.

I think it's a bit high. Sure, if it's the collectors edition it's worth it, but I can't imagine spending that much on a game at launch. Maybe Half Life 3, but that's it.Also, what if they're full of bugs, and you've just spent $60 on the game; just not worth it for me.