Is $60 a good price for games?

MisterRay97

Registered
Jan 17, 2015
I personally think that $60 for a new game is a bit too expensive because most games these days have stuff like pre-order bonuses and include a lot of DLCs which are pretty expensive most of the time. A game could cost around $150+ if all the DLCs are added along with the base game! My smartphone itself costs around $100 and I don't think paying more than it makes sense for a 'complete' game. Therefore, I always buy games on sales or in bundles; I never pay the full price, because the full price is ridiculous.

Reactions: Animarchy
I will admit that I agree. I have a Steam library of around 300 games and almost all of them come from a website called humblebundle. They offer a pay as you please bundle every week and some of them are glorious.

I have only paid full price for about 20 games in my Steam library.

I agree that $60 is too much. I even feel like (depending on the game) $40 is too much. I would be happy to pay $30 for a new game. But most of the time, I hang off until I can grab it used at Gamestop for far cheaper!

A good example is the new PS4 release "Until Dawn", it's exactly like this. I watched a let's play of it and decided to look into it. I was expecting it to be a £15 game I would also be able to pick up on my PC. I was so very wrong.

Considering the cost of tickets to concerts, sporting events or even the movies, I think $60 is somewhat fair. If you get somewhere between 15-30 hours of gameplay out of the game, I think that amounts to pretty good value. I do agree that the increase in adding DLC content into games has got way out of hand and as a result, some games are way overpriced when you factor these costs in.

One other thing that I take into consideration is that most games these days receive a price drop really quickly or you can take advantage of a pre-order bonus or B2G1 sale which helps to greatly reduce the cost. There are a few games that I will willingly pay full price for, but for the majority of games, I am okay with waiting until they come down in price.

I know it may not be the popular opinion, but $60 for a game is more than fair.

The retail cost of video games has actually gone down (if you count inflation), but the quality of the games has gone through the roof. I paid the same amount for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES that I did with Grand Theft Auto V. On top of that, video games go on sale so quick! Wait a few months after release, or even long for the Game of the Year edition and you're saving a ton of cash.As everyone mentioned, you can grab stuff on Steam for cheap, or wait for Boxing Day. It's a good time to be a gamer.

Reactions: dillinger10
There are some classic video games I wouldn't mind paying $60 to get it since a lot of work has gone into the development process. But most video games for $60? Nah! Some are too much of a disappointment that I wouldn't even get them for free.

I know it may not be the popular opinion, but $60 for a game is more than fair.

The retail cost of video games has actually gone down (if you count inflation), but the quality of the games has gone through the roof. I paid the same amount for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES that I did with Grand Theft Auto V. On top of that, video games go on sale so quick! Wait a few months after release, or even long for the Game of the Year edition and you're saving a ton of cash.As everyone mentioned, you can grab stuff on Steam for cheap, or wait for Boxing Day. It's a good time to be a gamer.
That is an excellent point regarding the cost of games 15-20 years ago. SNES games were typically priced at $50 and if I recall correctly, N64 games were priced upwards of $70 upon release. Given that the quality of games, for the most part, have increased significantly, and factoring in inflation, you could certainly make a very strong argument that games today offer more value than ever before.

Reactions: Stay Puft
So true, bundles are the best way to go for sure and I don't even get how people pay the full price, those guys have to be rich because when buying in bundle we get to save a lot.

You guys have a point. If we consider other forms of entertainment, playing video games can actually be cheaper. I can buy 2 or 3 new games for the price of a new year's party club pass! However, we must also account for hardware costs, electricity, accessories, etc., which might not be necessary to have entertainment in other areas, say, a concert or going to a movie.

I will admit that I agree. I have a Steam library of around 300 games and almost all of them come from a website called humblebundle. They offer a pay as you please bundle every week and some of them are glorious.

I have only paid full price for about 20 games in my Steam library.
I love Humble Bundle! I also suggest you to check out Bundle Stars and Indie Gala. They have great bundles too.

When it comes to the price of games I don't think people will ever agree. The actual price of the console, the online monthly subscription, the actual cost of the game and then of course all the DLC aswell, there's no denying that gaming is an expensive hobby.

Having said that for the amount of hours enjoyment you get out of it, I do strangely think you do get value for money.

I know people that will blow $40 on a night out and have nothing to show for it the day after other than a hangover, so put it into that context and we don't do to badly.

I would probably accept a USD $60 price point for a truly complete and newly released great game that I would spend quite a bit of time playing and re-playing.

But if a game is past its window as a new release, I would have to pay more for a DLCs and updates after the fact, it's a short simple game with little repay value, it's simply not that great of a game, it's a flawed buggy game, etc: then USD $60 very quickly becomes much too expensive. I would wait to pick up used, if at all.

I think it can depend on the game and needs to be really good to be at that price and the most I ever spent on a game was $15 dollars from the Steam site, and most of the games I buy are under $10 dollars or under $5 bucks which is when they are on special. I reckon the game would have to have good reviews and also work properly so it would be worth the money which is being advertised, and would have to be at least 70 hours or above play time to enjoy the money I paid for the game. I reckon that you need to check the game before buying to see if it is worth the money and also your time as well so you don't end up wasting money on a game which is not that great and not worth your time.

Considering the rising costs of publishing and developing videogames, it sounds like 60$ is completely fair. The price has been the same for a while yet the budgets required to make games keep increasing, this is why we get shitty DLC practices, gotta make sure the game is profitable enough.

So yeah, I think the price is alright, generally. Of course, I would never mind paying less haha. But it doesn't matter how much it costs as long as I feel that it was worth the money, anyway. I could pay $40 for a Call of Duty and feel I got rip-off, but I could pay $80 for a Yakuza or Dark Souls game and feel it was worth every single cent.

Last edited:
Unless I am totally crazy about a game I will not give a high value for it because I prefer to wait for the price to come down or for the bundle, it's simply not worth it.

Reactions: MandyMarieB
Triple A games are cheaper now than almost any point in gaming history. Many SNES games were $69.99 or more, that is over $100 today after inflation. Those didn't have modern features we enjoy either like physics engines or even polygons. If you've ever bought a game with a polygon or two and it was less than $100 you got a hell of a deal.

The cost of programming, developing, testing and marketing of a game might very well have gone up, but that's not the fault of the man (or woman) in the street. The average wage hadn't gone up by how much new games have.

Sooner or later people will have to stop buying new games simply because they can't afford them, and if something isn't done to stop the software publishers from charging what they want, video gaming, especially on consoles will eventually begin to die.

The cost of programming, developing, testing and marketing of a game might very well have gone up, but that's not the fault of the man (or woman) in the street. The average wage hadn't gone up by how much new games have.

When has the price of games gone up? What starting point is everybody here working from?

Well I'm in the UK, and to buy Fifa16 deluxe edition (the only one worth getting) as a download on the playstation store is around £85. Fifa15 deluxe edition was around £70 so yes, games have gone up.

Well I'm in the UK, and to buy Fifa16 deluxe edition (the only one worth getting) as a download on the playstation store is around £85. Fifa15 deluxe edition was around £70 so yes, games have gone up.

But that's an EA game, they charge however much they want and most of their games are repackaging of year-old versions of the same game. People eat it up, though, so they keep doing it!

Reactions: pwarbi