Innovation on the DS

i hope so, other wise it might get really boring. The games suck now and need to get better games, but what i really want to say is that the inovation of the fouch type is a good idea. I think other companys such as playstation and microsoft should add it so that when ur playing handheld, if microsoft comes out with a hand held, you can chat and be able to not use a head set unless u want to chat by voice, but then again the mic on the ds could be used for that instead of a mic anyway. but other wise its all good

Innovation is over rated, it's one of those things people say they want just to look hardcore. Most gamers would take a good game over an innovative game any day, because we need good games, but we don't need innovative ones.

As for Nintendo, they won't be going anywhere with either the DS or the Revolution. They'll keep their hardcore fans, the people that can't live without Mario, Samus, and Link, but they won't gain anything. Nintendo forgot one of their own longtime mottos, innovation through software, not hardware.

But what do I know? I'm just a longtime Nintendo fan who doesn't own a DS and doesn't plan on buying a Revolution.

*quiet pause, surprised look* ah hem, WHEN HASN'T INNOVATION BEEN GOOD... sorry alright online play innovation, the computer innovation, the car innovation i'm sorry but innovation is good and with out it the world would be throwing stones at every one... that sounds fun... but beyond the point, The revolution will have some sort of wifi lan network... for FREE or so i heard... but to gain you must take risks and atleast Nintendo has the balls to go out on a linb while Sony and Microsoft hug the tree afraid to take a risk... like the babies they are compared to Nintendo

PS: It may seem like i am a hardcore fan boy i assure you i'm not,(i'm old school, Nintendo, Sega old dogs for life) i still wish for the biggest and least likely news of all, Sega is back into consoles... *tear* i miss you Sega

Nintendo just announced for certain that their Wi-Fi service, hrough GameSpy btw, will be for free. But that doesn't mean that third parties can't or won't charge a fee for upgrades and such.

With that said, I would like to comment that the term innovation can be used relatively as well as objectively. Considering the current state of gaming we have an industry somewhat akin to the movie industry of the late 1980's. It's an industry rife with knock-offs and garbage passed on as sequels... Comparatively, Nintendo is taking some huge risk and stepping pretty far outside the box, at least so far with DS. I am sad that the DS' had a lackluster backing of games for launch, but I am confident that if the DS has enough time on the shelf to give developers a real taste for what the machine can do, then kids, we'll all be in for a real treat!!!

i think we got alot of subject here. we dont need like a 100 word essay on what inovation is. but to get technical sience we all seem to disagree, its a modification to make the "item", in this case the DS, better in some way. but still you are wrong if u think that this inovation isnt helpful or that is just a waste of time. Its not. the games could be better, but thats not the topic. 3rd parties will defenitly charge for online play if it is a high ranked game. dont get me wrong that 3rd party will be rich because of it, but damn it share the wealth people. not everyone has money just laying around waiting to be spent on a damn internet capable game just so they can be charged again to play the game online. its just a waste of time. im suprized the xbox doesnt make people pay extra to play halo lol

Well here's what usually happens with innovation: one person/company/entity comes up with some radical a new with a lukewarm implementation. Later, some other entity uses that concept with a much better implementation (usually adapting it to a concept they already have; in our case, perhaps using it in a game sequel), and that implementation is much more successful.

Very rarely, the entity who innovates gets the prize. You can see examples of this even recently in the industry; the Dreamcast innovated on a few fronts, most notably the integrated modem, and while online play is huge now it wasn't the innovator that was rewarded. Nintendo likes to innovate -- the N64 controller, for example, was very innovative and there's no doubt that it's continuing to influence controller design today. The concept of portable gaming in general was practically invented ny Nintendo (Game & Watch) and the idea of portable gaming that's similar to console gaming (Gameboy) was quite an innovation. Then again, you have the Virtual Boy, Power Glove, and so on. Innovation is good, but not always for the innovator.

very true. but the handhelp wireless thing is a good inovation sience internet gaming is becoming a trend. the only question i have on it is will they modify it to console to handheld or not. just handheld to handheld or console to console is a good thing, but it would bring more online players if it was console to handheld and handheld to handheld and console to console

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to say but I think you're saying taht you'd want to see the handhelds communicate with consoles.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens on some level. As long as they communicate using the same protocol, there's no problem. The only issue would be content. After all, the GBA does connect to the GC, it's just of limited use. So we'll probably see similar things with new consoles that have wireless capability.

im hopeing that the WiFi networking can be the same for both the ds and the new nintindo thats coming out. or somthing similar. i also think that sony should do this with the psp conecting to the ps2 and ps3, and psx